NMF Scholarships: An Updated Compilation

<p>Yes, @Prospitfox, WSU does. It’s a full ride automatic scholarship for NMF who (of course) list them as first. I’m planning to got there. </p>

@BobWallace I have a question about LeTourneau University being placed on this list as “Full Tuition” for NMF. The link provided takes me to their website page that tells me NMFs get an additional $4,000 above their Merit Aid Award.

From what I could tell, there were several levels of Merit Aid, but didn’t see exact standards showing “this gpa/score gets this amt of Merit aid.”

Could you help me navigate and understand, or should I just contact LeTourneau directly?

Thanks so much for all the work you do on cc. (And I get a kick out of your ID name. I have been on the real “Bob Wallace” many times as I travel to see my inlaws,)

@powercropper My son is planning to attend LeTU next fall to study EE. He is NMSF and should be NMF (will hopefully receive confirmation next week). He just competed a couple weeks ago for LeTU’s Heritage Scholarship (their only full-tuition scholarship). Only 10 were given university-wide and only 4 in engineering. There were 88 engineering students competing. He was not one of the four (but one of his best friends was!).

I don’t know why LeTU would be listed as full-tuition for NMF unless maybe it used to be that way and has since changed.

Regarding the standard Merit Aid Awards, you can go to the following link and they will calculate it directly for you:
http://tcc.noellevitz.com/%28S%28v3wd05d4ljtexqhwty1qbvpp%29%29/LeTourneau%20University/Freshman%20Students

The highest standard Merit Aid Award is Presidential, which is $14,000 per year (about half of full tuition).

@Prov1921 thanks for sharing your personal story. If your son gets to NMF, will that cause you to rethink his decision to attend LeTU ? I also appreciate hearing the details of the small number of full tuition scholarships available vs. the large number of competitors. My son would be interested in computer science. We will dial down our hopeful thinking of getting full tuition scholarship there.

Books don’t have to be included for it to be a “full ride”, do they? Books are not included in the NMF scholarship at the University of Houston.

I noticed a new full ride as of 2/2015 at Texas Tech in Lubbock. They say full cost of attendance will be covered.

Arny other schools that do “full cost of attendance” like what Texas Tech is going to do?

Latest update posted:

http://nmfscholarships.yolasite.com/

GraceDad - when you look at the list, there are numerous schools that say full ride. Most offer tuition, fees, on campus housing and a stipend for technology and/or travel - all great deals. I do know that UT Dallas offers a stipend for housing therefore it can be used for housing off campus which is good for Junior and Senior years. Just something to keep in mind when you are looking at the details of the scholarships.

I checked with the financial aid office at University of New Mexico and was told there is no automatic full tuition for NMSF. They are eligible for the Amigo Scholarship, which brings OOS tuition down to the in state rate. Still can be a good deal, since the in state tuition and room/board are pretty low.

This looks like a new one to add to the list for Kansas:

http://www.cardinalnewmansociety.org/CatholicEducationDaily/DetailsPage/tabid/102/ArticleID/4029/Benedictine-College-Offering-Full-Scholarships-to-All-National-Merit-Finalists.aspx

Michigan State University doesn’t advertise itself as a “full ride” for NMFs, but stacks scholarships. The final tally for my son, who will be a freshman this fall:

Room & Board and a $4,000 stipend for being an OOS NMF
Tuition equalized to in-state and $3,000 for being an OOS student invited to the Honors College
Additional $3,000 award for students who’ve been offered substantial scholarships at AAU accredited universities
Additional scholarship from the CoE for $1500
National Merit Scholarship from MSU for $2000

Tuition and fees for 15 credits/semester is around $14,500.

There is also a scholarship for OOS students with parents or grandparents who are alumni in the amount of $3,000 - not applicable for most, of course.

I was on the yolasite NMF Scholarship list and clicked on link for Lipscomb University. It appears that their NMF scholarship is no longer a full ride. It states “Each academic year, students who were selected as National Merit Finalists by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation are selected to receive a Lipscomb scholarship covering tuition and the general student fee only (no books).” It also states only students that reside on-campus remain eligible for the scholarship.

Does anyone have any knowledge that their NMF scholarship offers more…perhaps is combined with another scholarship, etc.?

@BobWallace Wright State University’s website states that their full ride scholarships for NMF/NMSF/Commended are no longer available for 2015/2016

http://www.wright.edu/financialaid/scholarships/first-year-undergraduate.html#aps

I imagine most students enrolling for 2015-2016 school year made their decisions some time ago.

Sorry…I misread that!

U of New Mexico covers tuition, fees, room, and board. It includes the Amigo Scholarship.
http://scholarship.unm.edu/scholarships/non-resident.html

Hi guys, is the yolasite updated recently?

Yes, today!

@BobWallace I looked on the TAMU website and it said their scholarship is 40,000 over 4 years, isnt that not full tuition?