NMF Scholarships: An Updated Compilation

@hopemom What about Florida State University?

@hopemom
Also U Miami for Benacquisto, which can be stacked with UMiami’s other competitive scholarships

So Benacquisto can be used at those^^ schools.

Also,

Like FSU. The student has to get a NM scholarship to then qualify for benacquisto.

A student who was awarded a College-sponsored Scholarship must attend the institution that financed the scholarship or award. (listed above)

U of Miami and Embry-Riddle are the two private schools on the list. I believe Benaquisto gives about $22k to students attending those (instate or OOS), and then instate students could also get the Florida Residency grants (about $3500 per year) and any local scholarships or school scholarships. There is a lot of stacking going on at the private schools.

I’m not sure I get what you are saying. FSU is one of the sponsors, so a student doesn’t need to get the NM scholarship first to qualify for the Benacquisto.

Maybe you are trying to say something else that my brain is not computing right now. More coffee for me, lol.

@amsunshine , they all work the same way. Assuming the student is not already a NM Scholar based upon one of the NMC $2500 awards or an employer-based award, when a NMF is admitted and lists the FL school first choice with NMC, the school will get notified by NMC and will award a $500 college-based NMF scholarship to the student; thereby qualifying the student as a NM Scholar and for Benacquisto.

Right, I just thought what the poster above was saying was that one needed to get one of the official NM scholarships to qualify for the Benacquisto for FSU, and that sounded wrong to me.

Sorry, I left off FSU. Yes they are included.
Here’s the official list:
• Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
• Florida Atlantic University,
• Florida State University,
• New College of Florida,
• University of Central Florida,
• University of Florida,
• University of Miami, and
• University of South Florida.

and a link to the PDF: https://www.floridastudentfinancialaidsg.org/PDF/factsheets/FIS.pdf

So folks how this will work out?

Let’s see if a student gets corporate scholar status with $1000 per year scholarship and then later UF (or any other FL Benacquisto schools) admit and gives student $500 merit award and enabling student to qualify for Benacquisto. Would all awards will stack in this case or only corporate and Benacquisto award will stack upto COA?

Secondly, seems UCF guarantees free ride even if Benacquisto fund is not extended by state during undergrad degree. Is same guarantee offered by other FL Benacquisto schools as well?

Or it’s safe to assume that Benacquisto funds will be there for currently enrolled undergrad students.

Thanks for your insights.

@sibpuri I believe the corporate award guarantees the Benaquisto because getting one of those makes one a NM Scholar which is what is needed to receive the Benaquisto. (Kinda circular logic.)

You can only get one NM award, so either the corporate or the school -sponsored (small) or the NM scholarship. They don’t stack. [Don’t confuse the small school award $500/yr with the big school-sponsored scholarships for NMF like UA, UTD, Texas Tech, and the Benaquisto. Those will stack with the little awards mentioned above.]

Only USF & UCF, to my knowledge, have guaranteed to continue funding the full COA scholarship. But most people believe the NMF kids will be grandfathered in (by the state) even if the state pulls the program for future in-coming Freshmen. If the guarantee is necessary for you, then know that most of the FL schools are not offering one.

For Michigan State, I have struggled to understand the NM scholarship details on their website and with the posts here. Might anyone be able and willing to break it down a bit more for me? Thanks in advance.

@sibpuri @Reebtoor You aren’t going to find it on their web site, but as a parent of a current OOS Benacquisto recipient at FSU, the admissions director guaranteed to me that FSU would pick up the scholarship amount for its NMFs, if the state ever defunded the scholarship. But I really don’t have any concerns about that occurring anytime soon. If my S22 makes NMF, we are looking at the Florida schools. It’s an amazing scholarship.

@vistajay That is reassuring about FSU.

cheeringsection - the NM award at Cincinnati has changed. When my D was eligible for it, it included full tuition and housing, but not a meal plan. As I understand it now, it covers full tuition and fees.

If I remember correctly, U of Cincinnati offers up to 60 NMF scholarships, though that may also include National Hispanic Scholars. It looks like they are full tuition, but not full ride. https://admissions.uc.edu/tuition-aid/scholarships/cincinnatus/distinction.html

Univ of Maine now provides full ride to NMF Semifinalists. That includes full tuition, room, board and fees for up to 15 credits/semester. Last year they were only providing Full tuition waiver. So this definitely puts Univ of Maine as one of the best awards in North East and a great option for those looking for a full ride instead of going south.

1 Like

So, if (when?) the economy goes into a severe recession because, well everyone knows why, what do you think the impact will be on these scholarships? Asking as a parent of a non-Florida resident likely NMF DS21 who is extremely interested in UF.

UF has said it will not guarantee the remaining scholarship funds in the event the state defunds the Benacquisto for OOS. UCF, FSU, and USF have all indicated they will guarantee the remaining funding.

eta: It’s probably best that you consult with the universities themselves to get a response about this issue. It’s always possible that policies can change from year to year.

Do colleges know if you’re a national merit semifinalist/finalist or do you need to include it in your common app?

The most complete list of NMF scholarships I’ve seen so far. NMF scholarships - Google Sheets
Please let me know if you know of a college to add to the spreadsheet.

7 Likes

Thanks! Though interesting that it’s missing USC.