Non-honors housing

<p>son did not score well again on ACT - so i have a few ?'s- where are suites for Non-honors and are they hard to get in? how many are there? is it close to the honors suites?</p>

<p>Can a non honors student room with someone in honors- for soem reason he has heard he can-</p>

<p>He is a junior and I don’t think he is a good test taker-</p>

<p>He may room with an Honors student, but ONLY in non-honors housing. Honors students may not pull non-honors roommates into Honors housing.</p>

<p>There are several non-honors dorms with suite style rooms.</p>

<p>The newest dorms, North Bluff, will be non-honors and will open this fall.</p>

<p>RCS has non-honors in the south tower and Honors in the north tower.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t give up on taking the ACT and SAT since he is a junior.</p>

<p>Ridgecrest South’s South Tower, Ridgecrest East, Riverside North, and the new North Bluff are all open to non-honors students. In South, they’re in the same building as honors; the others have some honors kids in them as well. I know several people living in non-honors suites… I think as long as your son’s deposits are paid early he’ll be fine.</p>

<p>Honors and non-honors can live together in non-honors housing. For instance, I have three friends, one of whom is in honors, who live in the non-honors Riverside North with a random fourth roommate who is National Achievement (so, in honors). In the honors dorms though, you can only pull in people who are eligible to live there (e.g. honors students) because it’s a living learning community.</p>

<p>All the buildings within a community are essentially the same (apart from differences in layout and space between Ridgecrest South vs. East and West), so it’s not a huge deal. I have noticed from being in my dorm compared to some of my friends’ that the honors buildings do seem quieter. Really though, the most important thing is paying deposits early.</p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Have him take both the ACT and SAT again. If he’s not doing well in the SR section of the ACT, then the SAT may be better for him…plus only 2 sections to really practice for since Bama doesn’t consider the W section for scholarships or honors.</p>

<p>How did his ACT break down? Is he running out of time?</p>

<p>No, he can’t be in honors dorms as a non-honors student.</p>

<p>Putting deposits down early is key…since your son wants Bama, have him apply in the summer, then deposit ASAP</p>

<p>There are non-honors suites next to the honors dorms…Ridgecrest East, Lakeside East, and Ridgecrest North-ST are non-honors. The new dorm that is being completed this summer is also non-honors suites.</p>

<p>thanks- he didn’t finish science - his reading is the lowest- so i am not sure if SAT will be better or not…</p>

<p>I will def be putting his deposits down early so he should be fine…</p>

<p>If he is a junior, maybe a ACT prep course or a tutor would benefit him. The tuition scholarships would make it worth his time and the money spent on the course. My oldest took a class went from a 28 to a 32. Granted, this can be done with a lot of practice tests. The student needs to look at what they got wrong and see why they got it wrong. </p>

<p>Good luck to your son!</p>

<p>he did have a tutor… some just don’t test well… My D went from a 26 to 32… I know all about that…if he even got a 28 he may not have a 3.5…</p>

<p>From what I understand, Reading and Science are the most time-sensitive sections of the ACT, and therefore the ones where you can improve the most through practice and familiarity with the test. Also, the tests vary from sitting to sitting. My D scored consistently high in Math and English, but had some wild fluctuations in her Reading and Science scores, depending on the test date. It only took one date where both the Reading and Science stars were aligned for her to score high enough for the Presidential. I would suggest that your son just take the ACT on every date available - if he can qualify for even the smallest guaranteed scholarship it’ll be worth the expense, plus there will be the perks of the Honors College. Of course, if he doesn’t have the GPA it might not make sense.</p>

<p>Beth’s Mom, that is so true! My D took the ACT the 1st time and had a 36 reading and 30 science. She then took it a second time and came home knowing she didn’t do well on the reading because of the subject matter in a selection. That test she scored a 35 on science, but a 33 reading.</p>

<p>Recall one ACT test my son took was what he termed a “recycled” test. He said that there were passages in both English and Reading identical to a previous ACT exam he had taken however the questions were different. He scored well in this section because he was familiar with the passage. Something to consider?</p>

<p>My kids always commented that they did better in the reading sections when the stories weren’t boring to them…lol</p>

<p>M2CK -my D said the exact same thing. She also said that if the story was TOO interesting (she only had one of those) that wasn’t good because she lingered on that one.</p>