Northwestern Class of 2027 Official Thread

all NWU aid is need-based. They do not offer merit scholarships. But they do meet 100% need.

1 Like

i applied with no scores

1 Like

Congrats to those who got in and best luck to those who are still waiting. This might have been asked before - I keep hearing NW (and many other private schools) donā€™t admit by major, but if you indicate your intended major in math/econ/physics/chemistry etc, will you have better chance to get in than CS or some business major?

1 Like

I think NW admits by school. Some of them might be by major. This is pretty standard for a university. Small colleges usually donā€™t admit by major.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s from Bienen. Not the University. The University does not offer merit aid. Congratulations on getting it though. I think those are based on audition?

Does anyone know how many kids were waitlisted this year?

Congrats. GTech over Purdue any day. So I would say GTech or UCLA. GTech OOS tuition is one of the most affordable ones. If he has not visited GTech, he should before making a decision. I would still vote for UCLA just cause IS tuition.

2 Likes

Parchment.com provides real world data on college admission decisions ā€¦ which college/university a student would pick when given a specific option. You can look up their methods online.

And to the board in general, please donā€™t throw a bunch of criticism about parchmentā€™s methods at the wall ā€¦ it doesnā€™t really matter. It is not the Bible, just one reference point to answer Techno13ā€™s question.

Parchmentā€™s data suggests that 63% of students would choose Northwestern and 37% would choose the University of Michigan if given that particular choice.

1 Like

Northwestern admits by school (McCormick= Engineering, etc) but not by major. You can take classes or even add a double major or minor in another school. Of course they likely do not want 50% of their incoming class to be CS or (name your popular major), but you are not committed to what you put on the application, and can apply Undecided(within a specific school) if you do not know.

2 Likes

DS23 admitted w/o scores for ED

1 Like

no the 1 accepted was not legacy ā€¦the legacy interested in applying was talked OUT of applying by the counselor bc s/he didnt have the grades to get in! the counselor / team is VERY open about stats ā€¦the one who did get in - parents are majorly involved at the school (fundraising) but according to dc - the student is super smart as well

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Yea Iā€™m aware of the ā€œofficialā€ wording about admit by school not by major, they donā€™t want to overload a certain program like CS etc. Iā€™ve also been seeing many cases kids getting in through a less popular (ā€œcompetitiveā€) majors such as applied math, physics or econ then do an internal transfer. Iā€™m sure all the AOs are aware of it but this ā€œstrategyā€ may still give applicants a better shot especially for private schoolsā€¦

4 Likes

Applied test optional (did not report scores) and was accepted RD.

2 Likes

No horse in this race, but Parchment really is just about completely unreliable.

1 Like

My daughter applied as an English major . She was accepted

2 Likes

Intuitively that result seems right though. I would guess 2/3 of kids accepted to both go to Northwestern (and probably more for those OOS Michigan).

2 Likes

Daughter was accepted to school of engineering- comp sci and film/ theater dual degree program. No interview. Did not tour school either. Wrote an excellent, out of the box essay.

6 Likes

I donā€™t think the isp affects anything. My DD got the email too but didnā€™t apply for it and still got in.

1 Like

To say NWU is tier 2 is completely laughable.

4 Likes