Not in top 9% error? Please help

Hello,

My daughter just submitted her app to UCs and we checked on the webpage it directed us and it told us she is NOT in the top 9%. However, she has straight A’s, 4 APs Junior year (4 this year) and a 32 combined ACT. When I go on the UC page where there is a slider that asks what your GPA is (4.35 weighted for her) and to enter her ACTs, it definitely puts her in the top 9%. We are in So Cal.

I am concerned that there is an error somewhere. I emailed her counselor who told me she doesn’t do these rankings, UC does, and we should try to contact the admissions office at one of the UC schools. However she is ranked 3rd in a class of 850 at a very competitive public high school in LA.

So does anyone have any experience with this occurring? We are traveling this week for TGiving and I cannot see someone taking care of this in the giant UC system in the coming 2 weeks given that EVERYONE is submitting apps at the same time. HELP!

Katherine

There are 2 ways to determine ELC eligibility; Local Path through the HS and Statewide. It is possible be eligible for the Statewide path but not Local HS. All ELC eligibility offers is that if she is not accepted to her UC of choice, she will be given a spot if available at another UC which has been UC Merced for the past few years. She looks like a competitive applicant and even an applicant that is not ELC (9%), they can still be accepted to a UC.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/admissions-index/

What is the ELC benchmark GPA?

By reviewing past transcript information collected for ELC, UC has determined a GPA cutoff for the top 9 percent of the rising senior class for each participating high school. This benchmark GPA will be recalculated for one-third of the high schools each year.

High schools with questions about the transcript collection schedule for benchmark GPA resetting purposes can email elc@ucop.edu.

Thanks. I read all this too… multiple times. Emailed them with no response.

Reiterating:

Your daughter gets into Merced, if she doesn’t get into her other UC’s. That’s what the ELC does for her.

Her UW GPA and test scores/ performance in high school are the real things that matter.