Now that I've been accepted, I have some questions!

<p>Can he not fill out the scholarship app. until he is accepted? How about the app to the Honors College</p>

<p>fill out scholarship app NOW.</p>

<p>fill out honors college app after accepted. </p>

<p>Don’t worry about HC essay…just write a few sentences as an introduction.</p>

<p>we would like to schedule a visit perhaps over Thanksgiving week or weekend.</p>

<p>The weekend might be kind of dead (probably no tours) because many have gone home and school is closed. Earlier in the week might work. Is your son off that week?</p>

<p>*Nope. Not CS. I’m bad at math as one of my past threads have shown lol!
I’m Undecided at the moment.</p>

<p>And I unfortunately don’t have any “interests”. I just sit on my computer all day.*</p>

<p>OK…College is a time for growth and finding oneself. What subjects interest you and you do well in?</p>

<p>I suggest that you sign up for that camp (or whatever it’s called) that is scheduled a week before classes start to meet new people. Someone here will post with the name.</p>

<p>^^ Here’s the link:</p>

<p>[First</a> Year Experience](<a href=“http://fye.ua.edu/campAbout.cfm]First”>http://fye.ua.edu/campAbout.cfm)</p>

<p>Retest…retest…retest…that 's all I have to say, if his latest test does not give him the full tuition scholarship. I believe that the flexibility is important, engineering classes are hard and some students simply lose interest or find these majors too difficult. College kids change their majors all the time. I would want to know that my student was set in any case.</p>

<p>Got my test score for the ACT back. So disappointed. I was only 2 poins away from at least the smallest scholarship. Oh well. Congrats to whoever got any!</p>

<p>^^^did you ever take the SAT? Some students do better on this test.</p>

<p>Yes, I took the SAT back in June. I think I did better on the ACT. I only got a 1660 total on the SAT :frowning: It’s my math score that keeps bringing me down. I got around a 30 in English, 26 in reading, 25 in science, 27 in combined reading/writing (7 on the essay) and only a 19 in math.</p>

<p>Apparently I am not ready for college level math, at least that’s what the site says.</p>

<p>Okay, so you know what your weakness is, that is something that you will need to work on for the future. I would still do practice tests and keep studying the math portion, if your practice tests show an increase in your scores, you could register for another test. the last ACT test that UA accepts is the one in December. You could register for that test till November.</p>

<p>see link and what is copied below:
[Registration</a> | Test Dates in the U.S., U.S. Territories, and Canada | ACT Student](<a href=“ACT Registration | ACT Testing Dates | The ACT Test”>ACT Registration | ACT Testing Dates | The ACT Test)</p>

<p>Test Dates in the U.S., U.S. Territories, and Canada</p>

<p>Test dates in other countries</p>

<p>2013–2014
2014–2015
Test Date Registration Deadline (Late Fee Required)
September 21, 2013 August 23, 2013 August 24–September 6, 2013
October 26, 2013 September 27, 2013 September 28–October 11, 2013
December 14, 2013 November 8, 2013 November 9–22, 2013</p>

<p>From UA’s website:
[FAQ</a> - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/faq/]FAQ”>Frequently Asked Questions – Scholarships | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>When are the last ACT/SAT test dates that you accept?</p>

<p>The national December ACT and the national December SAT are the last college entrance examination results accepted for students who want scholarship consideration.</p>

<p>Wow! I totally though that they would only accept up to the October ACT. I feel more confident with the ACT. But of course they don’t offer it in December at my own school haha. Oh well. Wherever it is, I am taking it! </p>

<p>Thank you so much.</p>

<p>You’re welcome :slight_smile:
Good Luck!</p>

<p>@wontgetin
If math is your lowest score, you have a pretty decent chance at improving it! It is the test that practice helps the most! The NUMBER ONE thing you can do to improve the math score is to take as many practice tests as you can find. Go to the library and check out every ACT prep book you can find, especially those that have ACTUAL full length exams. Practice the math under similar conditions - time yourself, sit at a table or desk, have the room be quiet, use the calculator you are going to use on the test.<br>
After you complete the test, score your work. For each problem you got wrong, figure out why it was wrong. Rework the problem correctly. Most books do have explanations on how to work each problem. Don’t just say “Oh yeah, I get it now” even if that is the case. Make yourself rework the problem correctly.

• On the ACT you are not penalized extra for wrong answers (an omit is the same as an incorrect choice) DO NOT LEAVE ANY BLANK!
  • The ACT is ROUGHLY in order from easiest to hardest, with some mixture. If a problem near the start of the section seems easy to solve it PROBABLY is, if a problem near the end of the section seems easy, you might want to double check that you have read it correctly
  • At 30 minutes, you want to be 30 problems OR MORE in, since the more difficult ones lie ahead.
  • Backsolving is a perfectly acceptable manner to solve. Plug answer choices into problem to find correct answer.
  • Skip problems that are taking a long time, don’t get bogged down on any one problem. Just WATCH THE SCANTRON and skip the problem on your answer sheet, too!
  • If you work several math sections and feel you usually miss a particular type of problem (say, the geometry-based problems or graphs) check with your teacher on extra practice or skills in that area.
  • We always say, don’t worry about what you SHOULD do, just DO what you CAN do! Sometimes you can eliminate several answer choices with common sense - that helps make an educated guess. Or maybe you can work a problem by drawing a picture or counting on your fingers. If the problem is abstract (all variables or general concepts) try filling in actual numbers to see what happens. If you try a few examples, a pattern might emerge that will guide you to the correct answer.</p>

<p>Hope all that helps! Also, use POSITIVE IMAGERY! I imagine this might be a challenge for you, given your screen name. Close your eyes and picture yourself answering questions correctly. Feel confident in your choices once they are made. Don’t second (and third) guess yourself by thinking you CAN’T do it!!!</p>

<p>Good luck! Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Thanks maryjay60.</p>

<p>I have another question! So is the cost for a full year of tution for OOS students= $11,975. I know it will probably rise, but is this the cost for the FULL year, or just a semester?
I am not really sure how it works!</p>

<p>So I did more research and I am assuming it’s going to be 20,000+ for tuition not including the other expenses.
Wow! I definitely made a huge mistake. I didn’t realize it was only for a SEMESTER.</p>