NSLI-Y Summer 2023

My understanding is that NSLI releases finalist and alternate notifications first. Each language and summer/AY may come out on different days. Then when everything is done, in several weeks, the rejection notices are released. So no news is bad news.

1 Like

Has anyone heard about Arabic summer yet?

Heard some mandarin summer finalists received notification yesterday. Are all finalists announced on the same day? If we have not heard, does that mean no?

1 Like

Have all of the Hindi acceptances been sent out? The process is a bit confusing if you need to have a back up plan.

I think someone said that the finalist and alternate announcements are sent out on the same day and the rejections come later in the month or in April. Nobodyā€™s really sure, though! NSLI-Y keeps the selection process very secret.

I applied to NSLI-Y Arabic. Has anyone received any info?

how many more spots are there for arabic?

95 spots for Arabic summer, 15 for academic year. I donā€™t believe Arabic announcements for either program have come out yet.

thanks so much

Hi everyone! I just wanted to come on here and clear a few things up. My name is Ainsley, and Iā€™m a virtual and summer abroad alum for Korea. Last summer I was in Seoul, SK. Iā€™m more than happy to answer any NSLIY related questions, as I have been involved in the programs since freshman year and Iā€™m now a senior. Here are the languages that have been released so far:

March 6th, 2023 Bahasa Indonesian, Turkish, and Tajiki Persian Summer acceptances
March 7th, 2023 Hindi Summer Acceptances
March 8th, 2023 FLEX Program Acceptances
March 13th, 2023 Mandarin Summer acceptances
March 17th, 2023 Arabic Summer acceptances
March 17th, 2023 Mandarin VSI Summer Acceptances
March 20th, 2023 CBYX Young Professionals
March 24th, 2023 Russian Summer Acceptances
March 29th, 2023 Russian VSI Summer Acceptances

No word on Korean Summer yet, hopefully it will be today or tomorrow. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Yes! Applicants will all hear a definite answer. Rejection letters come out at the very end. For all summer programs (expect Korean as of 03/30/23), itā€™s safe to say the answer is no. Finalists and alternates hear on the same day, but rejections come out later.

Thank you. My son applied for Korea summer. A bit of a bummer how long they are taking I wonder if they got a ton of applications?

This was frustrating for me when I applied as a sophomore, but NSLI-Y generally favors upperclassmen. They do try to spread out the ages. In the Seoul cohort last summer there was one freshman, three sophomores, and the rest were rising juniors/seniors or graduating seniors about to go to college. Tajiki does take a smaller number of people, so I donā€™t know how much they spread out ages and grade levels.

Hi! NSLI-Y actually doesnā€™t consider people for their second choice unless something happens and their first choice doesnā€™t work out. For example, in 2020, the Arabic cohort for Academic Year, couldnā€™t go abroad, so they were instead offered a spot to go to Korea or Russia for AY. While this is frustrating, they donā€™t consider second choices.

Yes! Korea is the most popular program so there are a ton of applicants. NSLI-Y did say that everything for summer would be out by the end of March, so hopefully within the next few days. Since, you mentioned your son applied, Iā€™ll give you a few details about Korea summer. The NSLIY program is split up into 4 cities in Korea: Seoul, Gwangju, Songdo and Jeonju. Seoul is the biggest cohort with ~40 people. The rest of the kids are split up into the other cities in cohorts of 14-16 people.

1 Like

Are the AY programs consisted only of summer alumni? I know they have an advantage, so is it impossible or near-impossible for someone who didnā€™t complete a summer program to get in?

Thanks for the info. So if we have not been notified as of today that means we will get rejection letter soon? I am an applicant to Russian Summer and have been holding off on accepting an internshipā€¦ but if this information you provided is final it help me to move on. Thanks again for posting.

Thanks for your question! Itā€™s definitely not impossible for someone who hasnā€™t done a summer program to get in. I know in past cohorts usually 5 people are past alumni of the summer program. NSLIY is really just looking for dedicated mature people, that they think we get a good experience from the program. Obviously, since it is funded by the Department of State, they also want to make a good investment into someone, as they are looking for future foreign service agents, diplomats and employees. So in conclusion, no. You donā€™t have to be an alum and a large part of the AY cohorts arenā€™t alums of the summer or virtual programs.

Unfortunately, yes, I would say that it is a rejection. If you arenā€™t a senior, I definitely recommend that you apply again, as almost 70% of NSLIY applicants have applied more than once. The internship definitely sounds fun, and a great thing that you could add to your NSLIY application next year. Seeing as Russian Finalists, Alternates and Virtual Summer acceptances are already out, there will be nothing else coming out. Wishing you the best of luck in your internship and language learning endeavors! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! I most likely wonā€™t be a finalist this year as I am a junior, and I am hoping to apply again next year! :slight_smile: