Nsli-y 2023-2024

Creating a thread for 2023-24 applicants.

When will candidates start hearing about the Semifinalist?

I was wondering the same thing, has anyone received a semifinalist notification yet or know when they come out?

Semifinalists are typically released in mid to late December depending on the program (summer or year) and language.

I’ll share details from my past experience this weekend.

Thanks, really appreciate it

I saw last year they received semi finalist emails on the 10th… I don’t know if that helps

Nothing yet over here…hopefully gonna be in the next few days because the classic irrational stress is really starting to show up. Applied for Mandarin, feel like I talked too much about living in China as a young child…but that’s the deeper motivation for everything I do to study the language now…so it is what it is I suppose. Fingers crossed real hard.

I feel that so hard right now! I haven’t been able to think about anything but this for days:

Hey VaughnK feel you and empathize with you. I applied for Hindi and Arabic as my second choice. Hang in there my friend

I’m applying for Chinese Academic Year. I did the summer program this past summer. Hoping to hear something soon! Good luck to everyone!

We are anxiously awaiting news as well. My kids (son-sr and daughter-sophomore) both applied for mandarin summer. It’s their first time applying as they only discovered the program the week before the extended application deadline. Good luck to everyone.

1 Like

I got passed the first found for the summer Korean program!!!

3 Likes

Hi everyone! Just letting you know that today, December 9, I got a semifinalist notification, so people should hear soon! (Fyi I applied to the Mandarin summer program for 2023-2024 and this was my first time applying. I’m currently a sophomore and have been studying Mandarin from 7th grade-now if that helps as background information) I relied on threads like this to get an idea of when people got emailed in the past so hope this helps :slight_smile: Best of luck to all and fingers crossed that we make it to the finalist stage!

2 Likes

Sorry I was shaking when typing before… I meant I passed the first round and I am currently a semi-finalist!

My son is a semi-finalist, my daughter is not. So happy and sad. I thought they both had strong applications, if anything daughter’s application was more compelling because she is in year 3 of studying Mandarin.

Applied for Mandarin Summer and got my semi-finalist email yesterday, I hope to hear from you guys soon!

Hey! I’m a NSLI-Y 2022 alum (Jordan summer + virtual in previous years), if anybody has any questions about the program or the interview process now that semis are coming out, I am more than happy to assist :slight_smile:

Also got my semi-finalist notification yesterday. Congrats to all those who got it! Hope to make it to finalists

Congrats to your son and I’m sorry about your daughter! Remember that she always has next year (I think they prefer older applicants such as seniors since its their last year to go while others can apply next year). Also, I’m not sure whether having studied the language applied for helps or is neutral (it seems to me like they use the info solely for class placement)

2 Likes

Just got my notification. Didn’t make it to SF :frowning: but wanted to share my outlook for anyone else who didn’t make it. In my eyes, not making it to semis is the second best scenario (making it through is obviously the best) because you have the most time to figure out what else you want to do. I would rather have half a year to figure out what else to do with my summer than not getting accepted in April and being stuck with no summer plans.