Nursing Class of 2026 (Direct Admit BSN)

@vicky2019 I agree with you that academics is just one part of it. Homeschooling prob means different things to different people. She has been at community college since the summer before 9th grade. She is just finishing up clinicals for her CNA and loves it and just interviewed for a CNA job yesterday which included a resume that she 100% did on her own. Since an early age, she had been at the helm of her homeschool journey. She is one of the most independent kids I know and welcomes challenge as that is what grows a kind decent person that contributes to their community. My only hope is that when I drop her off at college that she slightly misses us. :wink:

1 Like

Wow! Wish her the very best.

1 Like

I don’t get on CC very much, but wanted to make some comments on your post especially about some of the Ohio schools you mention.

I don’t think Akron and Kent State are direct admit. Akron has had some financial issues recently as well. Make sure their definition of direct admit is the same as yours (advice for any school you consider).

If you are open to Ohio, consider the University of Cincinnati for nursing. My daughter is a rising senior there, and currently on co-op at Children’s Hospital, where she will also do her role transition second semester senior year. She has also worked as a PCA at a nearby hospital, which helps with expenses. UC is rather stingy on merit, but it could happen (I missed your budgeted amount). Case Western also has a really good program. Again, if you are looking at Ohio, look at Walsh University - small Catholic school but that was my daughter’s choice if she didn’t get into UC.

Please feel free to PM me with questions, especially about UC. My daughter applied to several DA programs in Ohio.

1 Like

@bearcatfan

Looks like the program at Akron is new.

Thanks for the info. I couldn’t find the Kent info quickly and only have a few minutes. I will look into the schools you mention.

Thanks a bunch!

Akron IS direct admit for first time for Fall 2021. They have 75 seats. The rest are pre-nursing. I know. My daughter is enrolled for Fall 2021. Kent State is non direct admit. Must apply during first year to gain admittance into second year.

I do believe Akron’s financial issues are in the past. They went through a consolidation of schools which was much needed during COVID and were pro-active. I was comfortable enough after doing my homework to send my daughter there as a freshman.

Akron’s Nursing Program is not new but Direct Admit for the first time in Fall 2021. My daughter is attending. The requirements to stay in program are 2.75 GPA which I think is reasonable. Kent State is not direct admit and competitive to gain entry into year 2.

I would like to add that Akron came in at half the price of Kent State. We did like Kent State but took a look at Akron due to new Direct Admit into program.

Thought I would check in and see how our BSN 2022 kiddos are doing. Any updates to share? Lists narrowed down? Etc

Def didn’t narrow the list down. In fact it grew. :confused: In no particular order. Still have Creighton on the list but they don’t take any science dual enrollment so she would have to repeat Anat, Physio, Micro, and 2 Chem classes. They would take stats, intro to soc, intro to psych. Not sure if they would take nutrition and lifespan dev which she has already taken since it is under NURS. They only said they don’t take science dual enrollment. She will still apply and then will sort that out later. https://choose.creighton.edu/www/UG/nursing-traditional-4-year-curriculum.pdf.

Seatte U
U of Portland
U of Utah
Carroll University
Hood College
Pacific Lutheran University
U of Wyoming
Duquesne
York College PA
Westminster Utah
Monmouth
The College of NJ
Xavier
U of Akron
U of Tenn Knoxville
Cleveland State
Purdue
Loyola Chicago
U Texas Austin
Bloomsburg
Winona State University
North Dakota State
Indiana Univ of PA
Clarion University PA
Youngstown State
San Diego State University
UCLA
UC Irvine
Cal State Fullerton
Regis
Point Loma Nazarene
U of New Mexico
ASU
Creighton

2 Likes

on the bright side, SDSU is at 6% acceptance, slightly better than last year which was 5.5%. :wink:

https://nursing.sdsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/FTFAdmissionProfile_2016-2020.pdf

1 Like

I have a 2022 grad looking at BSN programs. We are in Southern California. Near San Diego. I wanted to ask if you were able to find any WUE schools with a direct entry BSN program? I have had some difficulty searching. Our list is not nearly as long as yours. We are trying to find Cali schools for in state tuition and WUE schools. Did you find ASU to be economical?

University of NM

I don’t know if that applies to the Direct Admit students

North Dakota State

I would contact all of the wue schools directly to see if it applies to direct admit. I know that some due schools omit that.

University of Hawaii at Manoa (says pre nursing) but they do have direct admit. Again check with the school if it applies to direct admit

Minot State (They only have 10 direct admit spots)

University of Wyoming

ASU is on Wue but nursing is not listed. Seems like they are reasonable priced with merit scholarships. They have a very high weed out GPA of 3.5 so that is a BIG negative. Their nursing school is also not on their main campus.

good info on this thread on ASU UCI vs. ASU Nursing

Im sure others will chime in. Im probably missing a school or 2. Depends on your kiddos stats. With my research, for a student with good grades NDSU, U of Akron, U of NM, Youngstown State, York College seem like the most affordable. After the most affordable you have the rest of the schools on my list. Creighton gets really high marks on the CC forums.

We are banking on merit scholarships for back ups and the slight chance that SDSU will accept her. We are 3 hours north of you. Mind you its laughable to say SDSU is affordable at 30K per year. :wink:

Thank you very much! Lots of research to do here. Her stats are very high. So no problems there. Also a very high ACT score. I asked about ASU as we were looking heavily at that. But noticed they only have certain majors in the WUE program. Guess I will make a call. I have also learned their nursing campus is downtown separate from the ASU campus. So not sure if that is something she would like. Guess we will have to visit.