nursing major?

okay so what is nursing usually under in sciences for majors?

At most schools it would be listed under Health Sciences

If you are searching for what colleges/universities have nursing programs, a good starting point would be to look at the CC thread on direct entry baccalaureate nursing programs. Here is the link - scroll to the bottom for the most current list:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/859704-master-list-of-direct-entry-nursing-programs-p17.html

Direct entry means you will enter the school as a nursing major freshmen year & there is no secondary application process. The non-direct admit schools, typically, you will be admitted as a prenursing major, take the prerequisite courses, and then do a secondary application sophomore year for junior year admittance into the nursing program. This can be quite competitive. There are also 2 year RN nursing programs at community colleges but there are prerequisite courses before going into the nursing core.

What state are you in & what is the maximum distance from home you want to consider going to school?

If a college does not prominently list nursing as one of their majors, it probably does not offer it. At many colleges, nursing is a major attraction for applicants.

You can get a bachelors degree in a field such as biology from one college, and then get a degree (such as in 18 months) from another college to become a RN. However, that is more time-consuming and expensive.

I have had to educate the college counselors at my daughter’s high school as to the difference between direct and non direct admit baccalaureate nursing program [BSN]. In California, there are only 3 direct admit BSN programs - UCLA, UC Irvine & San Diego State - all the rest are non direct admit includung all the other Cal State campuses. Cal Sate Mentor application opened Oct. 1 & will close Nov. 30, 2015. UC app can be submitted between Nov. 1 - Nov. 30, 2015. The 3 direct admit school are all extremely competitive. I just spoke with Mark Covin in Recruitment for UCLA Nursing & they will only have 40 placements with 1900 - 2000 apps expected for the class to be admitted fall 2016. Arizona State has a direct admit BSN program with acceptance based on a 3.5 GPA or higher & 1100 CR/math on SAT. Western Undergraduate Exchange [WUE] will give reduced tuition for California residents at Univ. of Nevada, Las Vegas & Reno & Univ. of New Mexico but all these programs are nondirect admit.
Here is a link to the California NYCLEX results [RN licensure exam] with results recorded until 2013-2014.

http://www.rn.ca.gov/schools/passrates.shtml

Good info, Bluesky.

It is a shame that California has such limited options. UCLA only takes 40 BSN students a year? That is absurdly low for a major public university - that number of grads would not even meet the needs of their own medical center.

Florida realized they had a shortage of nursing seats, so they opened the taps to let every for-profit college instantly start their own nursing program, with few standards. The results were not pretty.

@Charliesch - I asked Mark Covin at UCLA why only 40 traditional BSN students a year & he said the graduate program gets more funding than the BSN. They do have a RN to BSN program but I do not have any details on how many students are enrolled in that. Your comment about the number of UCLA grads would not even meet their own medical center needs made me curious & I looked up the stats on the UCLA Healthcare site. Ronald Reagon - UCLA Med. Cntr in Westwood is 520 beds & UCLA Med Cntr in Santa Monica is 266 beds - almost 800 beds combined. I don’t know where they get thier nurses from. UCLA advertises for RN positions in Nurseweek & Working Nurse which are national publications so they recruit across the U.S.

i honestly don’t think i can get into UCLA knowing how selective they are with their students. I’ll apply to irivine and san diego state for sure

i called sdsu a few weeks ago and they get just over 7K apps for nursing! I was asking about freshmen entry and assume thats the number for just drect entry. I spoke to admissions and not nursing.

I’d also apply to some out of state colleges where the odds may not be so difficult. Some private colleges offer merit or need-based aid that bring their cost down to something similar to public universities. There also are big cost savings by moving out of the expensive parts of California. If you need to fly, just make sure you are in a location with reasonably priced air fare. You may also find a location on a train route.

I ended up choosing UCLA over UCI and Azusa Pacific for nursing, but all three of them are awesome options. I think direct-entry is best, but I know girls at CSU Long Beach and Sonoma State who also like the programs. Sac State is supposed to be competitive as well, as is Chico. Good luck!!!