Nursing program?

<p>I’m currently a BSN student at a university in NC. Graduation is growing closer, so I’ve been looking at possible MSN and DNP options. I have to admit, University of Alabama has caught my eye for several reasons.</p>

<p>I have a couple of questions that can hopefully be answered. I am planning on calling the school and the nursing department with more questions, but right now I’m just trying to shorten my list of 15+ grad schools.</p>

<p>What is the city of Tuscaloosa like? Are there a variety of stores/restaurants/retail in the area? The school I’m at right now only has a Wal-Mart and some fast-food chains. We have to drive over an hour to get to a city with a mall. Needless to say, it’s important to me that I don’t have to travel long distances to buy clothes, for example.</p>

<p>Along that same note, are there a variety of off-campus housing options? I’m not particularly fond of apartments, so I may wish to rent a small house. Is this do-able in Tuscaloosa?</p>

<p>How is parking for commuters? I am from a mountain school and accustom to walking unreasonable distances UP HILL of all things, so this isn’t necessarily a deal breaker. I’m just curious.</p>

<p>Is University of Alabama generous with aid? I will be working part-time, and my current undergrad loans will be deferred, but something/anything would be beneficial.</p>

<p>Finally, does anyone here happen to know much about Alabama’s reputation in regards to their nursing programs? Just from glancing at the faculty credentials, it appears that most if not all faculty members have a DNP or PhD. I would still be curious as to how any nursing students on here feel about their programs.</p>

<p>That’s all I can think of for now. Thanks for your time and help!</p>

<p>Hi-
I don’t have a nursing student so I can’t help you there but as a NC mom I wanted to respond :slight_smile: T-town has a great college town feeling but it isn’t small like Clemson or Boone or Cullowhee…the UA campus itself is over 1000 acres, is well planned and is walkable and beautiful as well but the metro area of Tuscaloosa is 100-150K so there is plenty to do. </p>

<p>Feel free to PM me if you have any questions you think I can help you with…we are from Charlotte :)</p>

<p>Good Luck and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>For grad degrees, aid at most schools is loans. Maybe the DNP program may have assistantships, but at most schools, masters degress aren’t funded. That’s pretty much the case everywhere. </p>

<p>Midtown Village in Tuscaloosa has a good variety of shops. There’s also a mall, but I like Midtown Village better. [Store</a> Directory :: Midtown Village Tuscaloosa :: Tuscaloosa, AL](<a href=“http://www.midtownvillagetuscaloosa.com/directory]Store”>Directory Map - Midtown Village)</p>

<p>Ttown is a mid-to-large city. It sounds like you’re attending a school in a small town or rural area.</p>

<p>CrimsonMomNC:</p>

<p>It’s funny that you mentioned Cullowhee, because that’s exactly where I’m at. I’ve definitely had my fair share of a truly small town.</p>

<p>I will definitely probably PM you some time in the future with questions about UA if that’s alright. It’s good to see another NC resident around here. :)</p>

<p>mom2collegekids:</p>

<p>I think you’re right about aid. I haven’t seen much in terms of assistantships for DNP at too many schools (or at least not at schools that I’m interested in attending) but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask anyway.</p>

<p>Yep, I’m in a small town in a rural area.</p>