Nursing school?

<p>This is a general question and I imagine there is variation from one college to another. However, general guidance is sought. My son is thinking about nursing school but undecided about what profession he'll go into. (He has crossed Engineering off the list, and probably Pharmacy.) </p>

<p>Since he is considering nursing, is it better to have him apply to nursing school rather than to a regular arts and sciences school? If he decides later that he wants nursing, it's my impression that he may end up spending more time (and money) in school because he will have taken extra classes that won't fill requirements. If he decides against nursing, he can always transfer out. </p>

<p>Any advice would be appreciated. He is looking at middle of the road colleges in the north east since he's a B+ student.</p>

<p>The other question I have relates to the actual application. If, for example, you are applying to University of Delaware, and you want the Nursing Program, but also want to be considered for the College of Arts and Sciences, is that two applications?</p>

<p>Try posting on the Nursing majors forum:</p>

<p>[Nursing</a> Major - College Confidential](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/]Nursing”>Nursing Major - College Confidential Forums)</p>

<p>The answer will depend on whether your son chooses a direct entry nursing program. Many times, a student will start school as a nursing interest student, take the required perquisites, and apply for nursing either second or third year (depends on the program). Given that he’s unsure of his career path, this may actually be the best way to go. Nursing prereqs are psych, soc, writing, chemistry, bio (usually A&P, but depends on the program), ethics–classes that will fulfill many gen Ed requirements. He changes his mind, he hasn’t taken a lot of classes he didn’t want/doesn’t need.</p>

<p>In a direct entry programs, the student will get into nursing classes much more quickly. These are typically more competitive programs to get into.</p>

<p>A lot of schools do not allow students to transfer in to a nursing program. They have to be accepted as freshmen. Our state flagship is like that.</p>

<p>My D is doing her undergrad in public health. Along the road she decided that she wants to be a nurse practitioner so she is busy applying to direct entry MSN programs. She completed most of the prerequisites but is finding that every grad program is different and has a slightly different list of requirements. Most programs, if they accept you will allow you to take one or two of the prereqs over the summer prior to matriculating.</p>

<p>He would be better off applying to a direct entry program with a plan to keep his grades up to stay in the program as many schools have minimum GPA requirements. He can always transfer out, but transferring in, is competitive since you are competing for a very limited number of spaces available if someone drops out. He should volunteer in a health care setting to see if he likes nursing. As a male applicant, it may help his chances with acceptance.</p>

<p>U. Del. (as of last year) had one application. You then checked off a first, second and third preference for majors. Nursing is extremely hard for admissions at U. Del. (particularly for out of state students).</p>

<p>If a student is undecided between two majors, they should pick the one that is the more difficult for admission to start and that has the more rigid curriculum. At most colleges, it is easy to transfer into liberal arts and sciences from any other program, and still graduate on time. However, it can extremely difficult to transfer into pharmacy, nursing or engineering from liberal arts. If the college does allow a transfer, you may lose a year, because the order of the curriculum is more rigid for these types of programs.</p>