Nursing Schools in the Northeast?

@kjc2014 Thank you!! I hope your daughter enjoys UMaine!

How important are NCLEX pass rates?

I looked up the new NCLEX rates for schools in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Connecticut…Quinnie was very high, St. A’s was very high too… – as Simmons, NE and BC…but Regis in Weston, MA was down to 60% pass rate --last year they were 74% and Endicott was also quite low…why does this happen?

Are they admitting unqualified students or is the education really poor.?..Really confused because the merit scholarships they offer are really generous but now we are thinking we know why…also wondering when a school goes on probation? Does the State come in and do an investigation or are they happen almost half the students can’t become nurses after spending $200K ?

I suppose if a school goes on probation then it could risk losing their accreditation… and who wants to go to a unaccredited nursing program. Also, an employer probably would not hire a nurse from an unaccredited program. I, personally, do not want to spend close to $250,000 over 4 years for a nursing program that has low NCLEX results - the risk is too great and I do not have money to throw away.

BTW, I was looking at the website for the Univ. of Southern Maine that has nursing programs in Portland & Lewiston. They have a 90% NCLEX pass rate & the Portland campus does their clinicals at the Maine Medical Center which is a Level 1 Trauma Center. I don’t think I have seen this school mentioned on past nursing threads.

Thank you! Wish I had considered those schools last fall…hopefully next year’s applicants will see your post and pay more attention to NCLEX scores rather than sales pitches from low passing rate schools.

I know of three nursing programs in PA that were on probation because of low pass rates. Two improved their programs and their pass rates, and were removed from probation.

The third lost their accreditation for several months. The students were understandably upset, and some nearby nursing programs tried to accommodate the upper class students as transfers. Then several months later, that college got their accreditation back “after submitting more information.” Whatever that means.

blueskyforever, Univ. of Southern Maine is a great little school - but it isn’t direct entry.

I also attend quinnipiac for nursing. The school is amazing, the nursing program is one of ten top in northeast. When you see the north haven campus nursing facilities, the medical school and law center attached, you will understand why it is such a popular program. I love my professors they are available all the time to help, as the program is demanding, however, you will graduate with a respected degree from an outstanding program. They do award scholarships to incoming freshman in the range of $10,000- 20,000 for top students. The campuses are all beautiful, the dorms are nice, and the student body is dedicated and friendly . It is a privilege to go to quinnipiac! New haven is about 20 minutes away and the shuttle will drive you there, it’s a fine place to hang out, good restaurants and night life. Campus life is not rowdy, but there are plenty of clubs, intramural s and Greek life if you want to get involved there’s plenty to do.

I chose quinnipiac over. Pace, Fairfield, uri, and Moravia due to the quality of the program, high neclex pass rate, dedicated professors, modern facilities, respect of program, campus, quality of students attending, location, dorms, and overall amazing nursing program that is highly regarded. They also have masters programs. Good luck!

The programs in the UMaine system are very good. I had several friends who graduated from USM and have maintained good employment in Maine for many years.

@springisintheair thank you for the information! QU is on my list! :slight_smile:

Hi @kads03 sorry for the late response I have not been on in a while!

QU’s nursing program was rated one of the best in the nation by USA Today, top 10 in fact! It can be difficult to get into however, it is not impossible. Students that are accepted are A/B students with above average SAT/ACT scores and are usually pretty involved in high school extracurriculars. They are stand out students! QU does give very good scholarships, especially to students who have done well in their grades in high school. Those scholarships can be very helpful. I love living on campus and have found it to be an excellent experience. I can’t wait to be back in a few short weeks!

I wish you the best of luck!

Anyone have any first hand experience/knowledge of UCONN’s nursing program. My daughter was accepted and is considering attending in the fall. She was also accepted into the program at UNH. Any insight on either program is appreciated.