NYS Engineering Schools

If anyone can help provide any feedback on the choices on the table:

We are having a hard time choosing and honestly did not do as much research as we should have (but that is a whole different topic)
For a student interested in eventually working at NASA (dream goal)

Stonybrook University -Mechanical Engineering
Binghamton University-Mechanical engineering
Manhattan College-Mechanical Engineering
Fordham (Computer Science with ability to transfer to Columbia and do a 3/2 program receiving a CS degree and Engineering BS from Columbia)

Thank you!

suny at stonybrook

Fordham is not known for its CS, and of the students entering Fordham planning to do the 3/2 with Columbia, few actually do so.

5 Likes

I think the biggest issue with any 3/2 - is - you’re paying another year’s tuition and losing a year of income.

And who wants to leave their friends after three years and then go to somwhwere unfamiliar, where everyone else is already established?

That’s likely why few do these - they sound better on paper than they likely are - as the the further down the road schools is often of superior rank - like a Columbia, WUSTL, etc. Great marketing for the first school…such as Fordham.

4 Likes

When we toured Manhattan College, a couple of professors said that for ABET accredited engineering schools, go where you get the best deal. One went to Cooper Union when he was an undergrad because it was free. The other went to Manhattan before she got her doctorate at Lehigh because Manhattan is where she got the best deal and took it even though she preferred Villanova. They’ve been teaching engineering at Manhattan for 130 years and the mechanical engineering department has been around forever. They know what they’re doing. And they just opened a new STEM/engineering building 2 years ago.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this information. Unfortunately there is not that much talk or information for Manhattan college.

Don’t do Fordham. @Bill_Marsh has pointed out many disadvantages to a 3:2 program but another is that since 2019 they no longer guarantee transfer admission.

Guaranteed admission is not available for candidates who began college, whether at an affiliate school or not, in Fall 2019 or later . All applicants who began college in Fall 2019 or later will be considered under the competitive review process.
Combined Plan Applicants | Columbia Undergraduate Admissions

4 Likes

Thank you. My daughter is insistent on this program since her other hopes are quickly vanishing.

I assume you are New York residents.

Stonybrook has a MUCH higher profile outside the state than in. If I were instate, had a kid interested in engineering who thought the dream job was at NASA, it would be SB without hesitation and without looking back. Bing would be my second choice.

Fordham is a fantastic institution- but go there for the things it’s great at (history, media studies, finance) not for the things it does not have. Your kid will be running a race with one leg tied behind her back.

6 Likes

What other hopes are vanishing if she has three admissions to ME programs?

What kind of college experience does your daughter want? Your daughter will likely do best where she is happiest. (And I would say, happiest with conditions…in this case at a school that is ABET-accredited and that you can afford. Fordham is not ABET-accredited.)

Does she prefer a big school or small school? Most people are going to swing one way or the other when the size difference is so significant between the private college and the public ones.

• Manhattan has 3200 undergrads (and 3700 students on campus, including grad students).
  • Binghamton has about 14k undergrads (18k total).
  • Stony Brook has 18k undergrads and nearly 27k total.

How does she feel about class sizes? Does she learn better in what type or another?

• Manhattan College: 55.2% have fewer than 20 students, 44.4% between 20-4, and 0.3% with more than 50.

• Binghamton: 49% have fewer than 20, 37.6% have between 20-49, and 13.3% have 50+

• Stony Brook: 38.3% have fewer than 20, 38.6% have between 20-49, and 23.1% have more than 50.

How does she feel about the size of her major in terms of # of students? Is that extra competition or better opportunities for varied electives? Or are the number of electives pretty equal among the departments, but some have larger class sizes than others? As one data point (you would need to find others), here are how many students received a degree in mechanical engineering in the most recent year of IPEDS data.

• Manhattan: 59 Bachelor’s, 29 Master’s
  • Binghamton: 102 Bachelor’s, 30 Master’s, 7 PhDs
  • Stony Brook: 99 Bachelor’s, 49 Master’s, 8 PhDs

How does she feel about the demographics of the undergrads?

• Manhattan: 43% female, 4% Asian, 6% Black, 26% Hispanic, 50% White, 3% 2+ races, 8% unknown, 3% nonresident; 94% are 24 and under and 74% are from in-state.

• Binghamton: 51% female, 16% Asian, 5% Black, 13% Hispanic, 58% White, 4% 2+ races, 1% unknown, 4% nonresident; 98% are 24 and under and 87% are from in-state.

• Stony Brook: 51% female; 31% Asian, 6% Black, 14% Hispanic, 29% White, 3% 2+ races, 6% unknown, 10% nonresident, 93% are 24 and under, and 88% from in-state.

What are the freshmen retention rates? Did students want to come back, and if not, why (change in financial aid provided, academic probation, change of interest to a field not offered by the school, or… )? There may not be exact data about this, but ask different people on campus if they know of any students who left and, if so, why.

• Manhattan: 76%
  • Binghamton: 91%
  • Stony Brook: 89%

How many first year students live on-campus? Will it have the kind of residential life she is hoping for?

• Manhattan: 62%
  • Binghamton: 98%
  • Stony Brook: 77%

These are obviously just a couple of different data points, but hopefully it can help your D as she thinks through this process. Also, has she visited all the schools? Since they’re relatively close to one another, have her do visits again, sit in on classes, see if she can stay overnight in a dorm, etc.

4 Likes

My S went to Fordham and overall I’m a huge fan of the school BUT for the many reasons detailed above I’d eliminate Fordham from consideration for your D.

As for the other options (assuming they are all comfortably affordable) I’d let your D choose the school where she feels she can be the happiest. If possible try to revisit her top options on accepted students day.

2 Likes

Stony Brook will have more students who leave on weekends or commute. It’s well-regarded for STEM in general.
Binghamton will be more residential and has high-quality academics&peers.
Manhattan College will offer a more personalized path, more support.
Are all 3 affordable without parental loans?
What other colleges is she waited to hear from?

3 Likes

This so helpful. Thank you for putting all the numbers together.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.