NYU Data Science vs Math (prospects of admission)

Hi, I am a senior in high school looking to go to NYU. I am most probably going to apply early decision. As per the major, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what to do. I was considering applying to either the mathematics major(CAS+Courant) or the Data Science Major(CAS+CDS). Since the math major falls under courant, will it be more competitive to get into in comparison to the data science major? Or will both the majors be equally competitive in the prospects of admission?

Which would you rather major in? What are your stats? You don’t back door - you go in studying what you want (in my opinion). Yes, there are similarities but they’re not exact.

Hi, thanks for the response!
My stats are the following:
GPA:4.16(I study at an extremely competitive high school with grade deflation)
SAT: I am taking it next Saturday. If I get a decent score(1450+) I will submit it. Otherwise, probably test optional.
APS:I have read on a few websites that AP scores themselves aren’t very important. Regardless, I am probably going to submit about 4 scores(Calc BC, Stats, CSA, Macro).

Extracurciulars-I think I have good EC’s-robotics captain, research papers, internships, and MUN(Was part of the secretariat).

As per the major, I am not completely sure what I want to study. I would apply undecided but NYU doesn’t offer that. Currently, I am making my decision based on my interests and overall grades(I have usually done well in math, cs, and physics classes).

First of all, if your username is your real name change it asap:

It’s really hard to try and game the system and figure out where your chances are better when you’re picking between two competitive majors at a highly selective university.

Apply to the major you’re most interested in between these two. Hopefully it fits the overall narrative in your application, which it should if you’ve been doing activities related to your interests. You’ll be able to write stronger essays and make a more convincing case for yourself.

1 Like

Have you looked at the details of the 4 year plan of study for these two majors? Pick the one that appeals to you most and plays to your strengths and interests.

1 Like

Every college offers undecided. Or most every.

You can work in Data Science or Analytics without majoring in Data Analytics. Undecided might not be a bad path to start.

Math to a certain point is required for DS but that can be acquired from many majors. Some of the sharpest DS types I’ve worked with majored in Physics.

Thanks!

This is a bit unrelated however do you people think applying test optional would put me at a disadvantage?

On the NYU website, it says that applying test optional wouldn’t put me at a disadvantage but a lot of people have told me that it will.

In the end, why does it matter ? You’re taking the test. If you score strongly submit. If not, don’t.

If you want to go to NYU and apply ED then that’s what you’ll do.

Just make sure b4 you apply anywhere ED that you can afford it. And that you have a balanced list of reaches, matches, and safeties.

1 Like

Update: I got into NYU ED, but for their liberal studies program. Since I want to major in math, would it make sense to go into the liberal studies program for the first two years and then completing my last two years as a math major in cas?