Off Campus Activities

<p>I visited UMiami in the spring, but I don't think I saw enough of the surrounding area. Since the campus is relatively small and there is no campus town, where do the students go to hang out/ have fun? Does everyone go to South Beach? Is it really that expensive? Do you need a car?</p>

<p>I’m a high schooler who lives in Miami, and while I don’t know too many people at UM, I can say that coral gables is one of the nicest areas in Miami, and there is tons to do there. I’m sure students spend a decent amount of time there.</p>

<p>Coconut Grove is a popular destination for students. A car is helpful to have but you can get by without one for freshman year…just get to know some upper classmen or get groups together to share taxi’s.</p>

<p>I always went to the Grove when I went out, but you need an ID to get into the bars. A lot of people do go to South Beach, but if you’re like me and it’s not your thing, there are plenty of other things to do. There are always house parties on the weekends, tons of restaurants around, a mall, movie theater and bowling alley within walking distance. During the day you’ve got the beach, but if you don’t have a car, there’s the pool on campus. There’s also the Venetian Pool in Coral Gables that I never got to go to cause it was closed for renovations my junior and senior years but I think it’s reopened now and that’s supposed to be really nice. Of course there are lots of sporting events, both school and pro, and there are often conventions and festivals and things like that going on in Miami Beach. Seriously there is so much to do off-campus, you will not be bored.</p>