Off Campus Housing

<p>Yes she is. Thank you.</p>

<p>Do you know if you have a reserved permit (in a certain lot) can you also park in any of the non-reserved lot? I’m thinking that might come in handy for visiting the student rec center or the student health center (or other building not centrally located).</p>

<p>I’m not sure how the Rec Center and Health Center parking is regulated. I imagine that they have some method to prevent people from using it as a free school pkg lot. Maybe it is limited parking…like up to 2 hours or something?</p>

<p>I’m glad someone brought up this subject because I feel like I am playing a game of chicken with regard to my son’s housing (current freshman, RCS-N) for next year. While I feel he would like to remain on campus for another year, I am also feeling like housing is going to be even tighter next year with the larger freshman class and a growing Honors class of incoming freshman. On top of that, we won’t have any indication of where he stands for on campus housing until February and, even then, he may be put on a waiting list (likely). I’m feeling like February may be getting too late to lock up better off campus housing if he really needs to move off campus. Is anyone else feeling this same dilemma and how are you dealing with it? Just waiting it out and playing the game of chicken?</p>

<p>You can park at the rec center (main lot, not the lot by the pool) with any campus parking tag. The health center also has patient parking if you don’t have a campus parking tag.</p>

<p>Can you sign a letter of intent with an apartment and wait to sign the lease until you have confirmation of your on-campus housing situation?</p>

<p>MaBama…</p>

<p>See what your son can find and ask what the deadlines are for signing leases. We signed last January, but I don’t think we really needed to sign that early. </p>

<p>Also, after the first of the year, we noticed some complexes offering bonuses…like waived deposits or other goodies.</p>

<p>Even though I feel pretty confident that she would get housing next year, they decided just to look around and see what was available in case they can’t. Now they’re thinking they would rather move off campus. A couple benefits we’re taking into consideration is if they do like their place, they can just stay and not have to move all their stuff into storage. As m2k answered, they do allow that! Also, it’s a plus to be able to stay at her apartment if we decide to make a last minute trip over there to visit, especially on a football weekend when hotels are at such a premium. Also, we don’t have to worry about the dorm closing for spring break, as she won’t be flying home at that time.</p>

<p>So today they went and looked at The Woodlands and really liked it. It comes furnished and there’s a utility package. Total price would be $595 a month for a three bedroom. I think they’re going to go look at The Retreat in a little bit. I’ll share what other info I get.</p>

<p>DD’s boyfriend lives in the Woodlands. He likes it. FYI he signed this time last year and in the Spring there were giving away ipad2’s as a lease signing incentive. He actually pushed them hard enough that they finally gave him one even though he had signed so early.<br>
M2k is right…as spring approaches some different housing communities will offer incentives to sign.</p>

<p>Woodlands isn’t very well rated in this apartment rating site (but you know how these types of sites always are…nobody leaves reviews unless they have a strong opinion).</p>

<p>[Woodlands</a> of Tuscaloosa Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Tuscaloosa apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com](<a href=“http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/AL-Tuscaloosa-Woodlands-of-Tuscaloosa.html]Woodlands”>http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/AL-Tuscaloosa-Woodlands-of-Tuscaloosa.html)</p>

<p>Are all the apts 12 month leases? I must have misunderstood as I thought it was only the Bluffs?</p>

<p>I think all the apts are 12 months leases…otherwise the places would lose too much money being empty/no rent for 3 months each year. One of the reasons people do the 12 month deal is so that they don’t have to move out/move in each year…and so that they have a place to stay if taking any summer classes. Some kids sub-let their apts in the summer to other kids who are taking summer classes. </p>

<p>I think the reason that The Bluff was mentioned is because The Bluff has some university affiliation (hence the ability to use the NMF scholarship there), but the lease is for 12 months, and the NMF scholarship doesn’t cover the summer…so you have to pay for that. The only exceptions are for graduating and (I think), doing a summer abroad. </p>

<p>Frankly, I think the summer abroad exception is odd at The Bluff, since it makes more sense to use your money for a summer abroad trip than on rent for an apt you won’t be using. lol I wouldn’t be surprised if that exception is eliminated at some point.</p>

<p>Hmmm, more things to think about. The agent at The Woodlands said if they signed before Thanksgiving they would get the utilities package included. But I wonder if they should hold out for more :slight_smile: Negotiations are not my strong suit. </p>

<p>Thanks for that link to the reviews, Feeno. My D did check those out. That’s one of the reasons she walked away from Crimson Way. Apparently those reviews were downright scary.</p>