Offered admission, scholarship question

<p>k so they offered me 8k a year, but is it possible to get instate tuition with the 8k after the first year? i figured if so then its pretty much a full ride after the first year</p>

<p>if so i might go…idk if not though.</p>

<p>thx in advance</p>

<p>If I understand correctly, after your first year, will you be considered a resident and be able to pay instate tuition from them on? ....No, you cant. If that was the case, colleges would only charge out of state students out of state tuition for their first year only.</p>

<p>If you got an 8k scholarship based on your residency outside the State of Arizona, then you can only receive it if you remain an out of state resident. That means if you become a resident of Arizona, you lose your scholarship. However, you can receive a scholarship for which a requirement is being an Arizona resident. More likely than not, though, it will probably be less than 8k.</p>

<p>I was offered the same scholarship but of a different value, and it is an award only granted to out-of-state students. Once you re-classify yourself as an Arizona resident, you would lose the award (and might pick up a different award for in-state students, but unlikely because most of their scholarship funding is awarded to freshman). It's possible they would convert it to an in-state scholarship, but you'd have to check with the Financial Aid office.</p>

<p>Arizona Excellence Award, right? I went back through my paperwork and it says it's only applicable to students classified as out-of-state. That means you would lose it if you got Arizona residency. Then again, it might be cheaper to become an Arizona resident and pay full resident tuition. If I remember right, out-of-state is something like $16k/year, but with $8/k scholarship it's half that. In-state is a lot less, something like $6 or $7k/year, so even without scholarship funding you'd still be paying less.
Check it out, it may be worth it.</p>

<p>I think you all are missing a good point. Yes, if you take away the scholarship and become a resident, obviously it will be cheaper no matter what. But, the original poster thought that they would gain residency after just being a freshman and living in the state of arizona for a year. To become a resident you have to live in arizona for a year and have school not be the reason you live there. Living there because of school does not count as being a resident and you wont be considered a resident if you try and do this.</p>

<p>I think you also have to emancipate yourself from your parents financially, meaning they won't be able to list you as dependent for a tax deduction. And you have to live in the state for at least a year full time with a permanent address. It might be tougher than you think to become a resident. I know Utah has one of the best policies in effect for becoming a resident as a student, and even there you must give up residency of another state, not be a dependent of anyone in another state, have a permanent residence in UT for at least 12 months continuously, and get a UT driver's license. I would expect that the requirements in Arizona are similar.</p>

<p>I got the Arizona Excellence Award...$10K...if you become an Arizona resident you lose it...btw, it is extremely difficult to receive in-state tuition at the AZ schools unless you are a resident of AZ prior to entering college.</p>

<p>Can I ask what your stat were to get the 10,000 scholarship?</p>

<p>ACT 33
SAT 2070
GPA 3.9 uw/4.2 w
RANK 9/194
TOP HIGH SCHOOL IN LAUSD (CA)
Varsity soccer 3 years (captain)
Varsity softball 2 years (captain)
COSMOS (summer program at UC Davis)
Chicos (summer program at Caltech)
USC High School Programs
Two soccer teams outside of school
Coached two soccer teams last year
Coached mentally and physically challenged children this year
Essay talked about soccer and what I have learned from it
UCLA AP programs
AP Chemistry-5
AP Biology-5
AP US History-4
AP World History-3
AP Calculus/AP Government this year</p>

<p>Got 10k/year AZ Excellence too:</p>

<p>SAT 2240 (2nd Try, 5 Months After ACT)
ACT 31
4.0 uw / 4.8 w (max) - Valedictorian at best HS in Las Vegas.
No Sports, 2 XC Clubs with Captain+Lead Programmer
AP Spanish - 4
AP Calc/Govt/Macroeconomics/Microeconomics This Year
Essays didn't really matter cause of my GPA + SAT but they were decent.</p>

<p>I received Arizona Excellence Award of only 2k/year . Do you know if you can appeal for more?</p>

<p>I doubt you can...and it seems ungrateful too.
I bet they just rank everyone based off of GPA, SAT, Essay Strength and then just say 10% get 10000, 20% get 8000, 30% get 5000, 50% get 2000.</p>

<p>^ Not every student (OOS or in-state) is offered a scholarship.</p>