OFFICIAL 2016 African American Results Thread

<p>Harvard is the #1 university in the US :)</p>

<p>Williams is the #1 LAC :)</p>

<p>Lol look on Forbes best schools 2012 and 2011 and it includes LAC and universities in its list. And Williams is first :slight_smile: they are both good schools though!</p>

<p>To answer Mr.Luggs .I got into all 4 SUNYs I applied to (Bing,Buff,Albany, Stony Brook), UC Davis, BU, NYU, Vassar,Syracuse,Hofstra and Wesleyan.</p>

<p>That’s heresy :open_mouth:
Also, USNWR FTW :)</p>

<p>Haha JK!</p>

<p>Congrats guys :slight_smile:
This is so inspiring!! AA Class of 2012 represent!!</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: Georgia Tech, Johns Hopkins, Rice University, Carnegie Mellon, University of Georgia, Duke University
Rejected: Cornell, UC Berkeley, Stanford
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: UGA Honors + 2k scholarship, 18k/year @ Rice</p>

<p>Stats:[ul]
[<em>] SAT: 2090 (730 CR, 680 M, 680 W)
[</em>] SAT IIs: 710 (Math II), 670 (Biology E), 630 (Physics)
[<em>] ACT: 33 (32 E, 33 M, 33 R, 34 S, 11 Essay) + (35 E, superscored)
[</em>] GPA: 3.83/4.00
[<em>] Rank: Does not rank, top 15%
[</em>] Ap Courses: AP English Language & Composition (5), AP US History (4), AP Calculus AB (5-subscore), AP World History (4), AP Biology (4), AP Calculus BC (5), AP Physics B, AP Macroeconomics, AP Statistics
[li] Other stats:[/li][/ul]</p>

<p>Subjective:

[ul]
[<em>] Essays: I’d like to think they were good. I don’t completely remember their subject matter. i mostly discussed my interest in engineering, my family and environment and how it has shaped me, and my musical interest.
[</em>] Teacher Recs: Didn’t read. I assume decent to good.
[<em>] Counselor Rec: Didn’t read. I assume decent.
[</em>] Hooks: URM
[/ul]</p>

<p>Location/Person:

[ul]
[<em>] State or Country: Georgia
[</em>] School Type: Public
[<em>] Gender: Male
[</em>] major strength/weakness: Strengths - I guess my writing and portrayal of myself. My course rigor and ACT score couldn’t have hurt either. Weaknesses - SAT and SAT IIs. Lack of leadership and awards.
[<em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: I guess I just really sold myself. I took the hardest courses I could and participated in many extracurricular activities, one of which I gained a leadership position.
[</em>] significant awards/recognitions: National Achievement, AP Scholar with Distinction
[li] summer activities: None. But I had ~100 hours of community service[/li][/ul]</p>

<p>General Comments:
I’m very grateful that I’ve been accepted to so many great institutions. I can’t help but feel a both a bit undeserving, but also validated in my hard work.</p>

<p>^ Congratulations… Which school have you decided to attend? How would you rate the affordability of the schools you were accepted to?</p>

<p>I have yet to decide. However, they all are affordable for someone who demonstrates financial need. Well, Tech and UGA are in-state for me, so that automatically reduced cost.</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: Yale (SCEA), Harvard (Likely), Duke (Likely), University of Pittsburgh, University of Maryland-College Park</p>

<p>Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: Banneker/Key @ UMD (full ride), Finalist for Reginaldo Howard Scholarship @ Duke (full ride scholarship), Full tuition @ UPitt</p>

[<em>] SAT: 2250 (720 M, 730 CR, 800 W)
[</em>] SAT IIs: 800 US, 780 Chem, 630 Math II
[<em>] ACT: N/A
[</em>] GPA: 4.0 UW
[<em>] Rank: 1/375
[</em>] AP Courses: Chem (5), English Lang (5), US Gov (5), Calc AB (5), Spanish Lang (4), US History (5)
[<em>] Senior Year Course Load: AP Physics C, AP Psychology, AP Statistics, AP Calc BC, AP English Lit
[</em>] Major Awards: Um, none really. National Achievement and National Merit Commended. AP Scholar with Distinction.
[/ul]
Subjective:[ul]
[<em>] Extracurriculars: Student member on school board for 2 years, Orchestra (Principal Chair), National Honor Society, Student Government, Invisible Children Club, Tri-M Music Honor Society, Educational advocacy at county and state level (speaking at forums, leading workshops, etc.), Summer intern at U.S. Department of Education
[</em>] Essays: Common App was about how game show culture fueled my interest in becoming involved in educational advocacy. It was a strange idea I came up with, but people that read it seemed to like it, and a few admissions officers have mentioned it when writing to me. Yale and Harvard supplements were about my interest in science and genetics. The Common App had been written late in my junior year for English class and edited over the course of a few months. The science essay was written on a whim while avoiding physics homework and edited over a few weeks. I thought both were okay.
[<em>] Teacher Recs: Only was able to read one of them, and it was fine.
[</em>] Counselor Rec: Pretty good. He was new this year but we both ventured through the whole process so he had nice, personal things to say.
[<em>] Hooks: URM, first generation
[/ul]
Location/Person:[ul]
[</em>] State or Country: MD
[<em>] School Type: Public
[</em>] Gender: Female
[<em>] Major Strength: Grades, rank, AP scores
[</em>] Major Weakness: SAT II in Math 2. I took it junior year because I thought I’d apply to Georgetown and would thus need a 3rd SAT II, but at that point the test required more self-studying than I had time to do. Only Yale and UMD saw it though. Other than that…perhaps mentioning The Powerpuff Girls in my Yale supplement. Haha, it was all in good humor (I’m a little strange anyways). I don’t regret it!
[li] Why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: Oh goodness, I couldn’t possibly say. Yale seems to like people with a variety of interests and I definitely fall under that category. Harvard is very difficult to pinpoint. I was surprised enough that I got a likely. I tried to show a lot of personality in everything I submitted, and I had genuinely great, enjoyable interviews for Harvard and Yale, with Harvard being the definite best. [/ul][/li]Comments: The college process has been a roller coaster ride of an adventure. A lot of hard work, effort, and support got me here and I am overwhelmingly grateful. I stumbled onto this site my freshman year (probably a bit too early!) and the amount of information I learned here helped so much, especially since I didn’t know anything about SATs and APs and scholarships and applications. But I learned. And I was able to educate myself and help out a lot of friends and others because of what I’ve learned here. So thank you to everyone that helps make this site a good resource. To everyone here, congratulations and best of luck! And to anyone applying to colleges in the near future, don’t hold back! Apply where you want to apply and don’t sacrifice on being yourself in your application. Be genuine and diligent, and you can’t go wrong.</p>

<p>DS accepted to Caltech, MIT, Stanford, Princeton, and Yale. WL: Harvard</p>

<p>@bostonmom Want to post stats?</p>

<p>Lake Jr. accepted at Rensalaer Polytechnic Institute, UMaryland-Baltimore County [Honors College], SUNY Plattsburgh, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and his first choice, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.</p>

<p>@hellogoodby13. Stats are same as km313 but DS is not first generation and more into STEM than liberal arts.</p>

<p>Congrats on Harvard CPU and km!</p>

<p>CPU is a great example of how unimportant SAT and subject scores are to colleges. His/her results show that ivy leagues look at you as a person not your scores!</p>

<p>Accepted to DUKE, Northwestern, Williams (Early Write), University of Notre Dame. Waitlisted for Brown. I committed to Duke yesterday!</p>

<p>^Awesome! What are your stats though?</p>

<p>accepted to like 20 schools but carnegie mellon, vanderbilt, notre dame, renesslaer, uiuc, case western probably tops. committed to notre dame
@kgoodwin i gotta really good friend goin to duke</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: Georgia Tech, Clemson
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: none</p>

[<em>] SAT: 1470/1600, 2170/2400
[</em>] SAT IIs:
[<em>] ACT:
[</em>] GPA: 3.64
[<em>] Rank: School doesn’t rank
[</em>] Ap Courses: calc AB, Spanish lang, Physics B
[<em>] Other stats:
[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[</em>] Essays: Only had to write two for gtech which I thought were both really great. I got them checked by three different english teachers who all said they were really good. I worked really hard on them cuz I knew those would be super important since gt was such a reach for me.
[<em>] Teacher Recs: didn’t need any
[</em>] Counselor Rec: didn’t need one
[<em>] Hooks: URM, single-parent home
[/ul][ b]Location/Person:[ul]
[</em>] State or Country: South Carolina
[<em>] School Type: Private
[</em>] Gender: Male
[<em>] major strength/weakness: Pretty low GPA, not the best SAT score, pretty much no school related extracurriculars but I did have a lot more community service than others from my school
[</em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: I am really surprised that I got accepted to tech. The others who I know that go accepted are all super geniuses and I know I’m decently smart, but the other kids are those ones who you always expect to make 100 on the test and stuff. And I was accepted to clemson cuz I’m in-state and it’s not difficult to get in from in-state
[<em>] significant awards/recognitions: uhh, NHS, spanish honor society, got an award for having over like 300 service hours from my school but I can’t remember what it was called at the moment
[</em>] summer activities: tons and tons of community service
[/ul][ b]Other Factors:
</p>

<p>As you probably can already guess, I’ll be attending georgia tech in the fall</p>

<p>So guys, have you made your decisions? Where will you matriculate to?</p>

<p>Its so inspiring seeing my big brothers and sisters doing their thing.</p>