OFFICIAL Early Action Thread! ( Purdue Class of 2018)

<p>How long does it usually take for them to give you a response in rolling admission?</p>

<p>It can depend on your scores/grades/ECs. Some people have to wait quite a while, and others only wait a couple of weeks.</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted</p>

<p>Objective:[ul]
SAT I (breakdown): 720 CR, 680 M, 650 W (yea, low W score)
ACT: didn’t take
SAT II:690 Lit, 680 MBio, 680 Math I
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): No idea, we do IB
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): No idea
AP (place score in parenthesis):
IB (place score in parenthesis): IB Biology HL, IB Psychology HL, IB Eng Lit HL, IB Mathematics, Chinese Language and Literature, Theatre SL (5’s for all. Bloody mocks)
Senior Year Course Load: IB Biology HL, IB Psychology HL, IB Eng Lit HL, IB Mathematics, Chinese Language and Literature, Theatre SL
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Won writing competitions hosted by a national newspaper twice in a row. Some in-school prizes. </p>

<p>[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):</p>

<ul>
<li>Homeroom Rep, House Officer (freshman), House Officer (sophomore), House Captain (junior), Head Girl + House Captain (junior + senior) (this is literally the strongest part of my application)</li>
<li>Played badminton literally my whole life. Awarded a Bronze medal from the HKBA. (junior)</li>
<li>Founder of the FIRST EVER KEY CLUB IN HONG KONG. (senior)</li>
<li>Senior Chief Editor for Yearbook (junior), as well as writer for another school magazine (junior+senior)</li>
<li>Front of House manager, Head of Projections, Head of Makeup (9-12)(don’t ask me why the roles change every year, we get assigned the roles)</li>
</ul>

<p>Job/Work Experience:

• Went to Sumer@Brown during Sophomore year summer
  • Did an internship at Hong Kong University (prestigious uni) for research, junior year summer
  • Completed two courses at Outward Bound, Freshman + Sop summer (didn’t mention this though)</p>

<p>Volunteer/Community service:</p>

<ul>
<li>I provide free tutoring to children living below the poverty line (11,12)</li>
<li>Another tutoring program to orphans (10,11)</li>
<li>Service trips to Yang Shuo (somewhere in China) as well as Vietnam, helping them build a library as well as tutor the children (didn’t mention this)</li>
</ul>

<p>Summer Activities: See Job experiences</p>

<p>Essays: In hindsight, I felt as if my essays were quite passive. Probably a 7/10 for both, but I thought my supplement was pretty decent.
Teacher Recommendation: Eh, they were okay I guess. Both of my teachers are my Higher Level courses teachers, and given that we have a small class size (of 6-12 students), they know me pretty well. </p>

<p>Counselor Rec: Not bad I suppose. My counselor is new, though I think we get on pretty well.</p>

<p>Additional Rec: Nope.</p>

<p>[/ul]Other[ul]</p>

<p>Applied for Financial Aid?: Nope.
Intended Major: Biology + Comparative Lit
State (if domestic applicant):
Country (if international applicant): Hong Kong
School Type: Private, International
Ethnicity: Malaysian
Income Bracket: Parents won’t tell me. But suffice to say, enough to pay for tuition without aid.
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): I would have thought that my ethnicity was going to be a hook… But other than that, nah. I live a pretty boring (relatively speaking) life. </p>

<p>[/ul]Reflection[list]
[<em>] Strengths: See EC’s. I don’t know, not needing financial aid and ethnicity? :confused:
[</em>] What you tried to focus on in your application - any hooks you tried to make for yourself: I tried to focus on my passion for discovery, and how I want to study genetics because of it’s vast potential discovery. Linked it to literature and compared both. My CA essay was pretty weak though. I talked about how my ego affected me in losing a competition.</p>

<p>[<em>] Weaknesses: Low GPA?
[</em>] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Eh… :D<br>
[*] Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Rejection from Cornell :(</p>

<p>Ok, so just got “denied/offer reconsideration” on son’s application to engineering school. Waiting for return call from Admissions office on options. What have been some others experiences so far…which schools are less competitive? Any idea how long it takes to hear when you reapply to a different Purdue school?</p>

<p>For those who were “deferred” (i.e., need to produce 7th semester transcripts), has anyone completed the process and received a decision.</p>

<p>Here in CA, S’s semster doesn’t end until end of January! so it’ll be a while before he can comply. Just wondering what the timeframe for a decisions will be.</p>

<p>Hey, I’m from Alabama and applied (and just got accepted to!) the college of liberal arts with an intended major in communications. My gpa is a kind of low 3.2 ish, and I have a 1690 on my SAT. I think what sold them was good recs and a lot of extensive extracurriculers and community service. Being ethnic probably didn’t hurt either, good luck to all!</p>

<p>Hey check with your college counselor, it’s possible that Purdue has already made a decision but aren’t getting back to you because of something the counselor was supposed to turn in that is separate from the application itself. I was in the same position, supposed to hear back the 13th of Dec. and then was in “committee review” limbo until 2 days ago. You should be hearing back really soon though, good luck!</p>

<p>i’m in
gg</p>

<p>Offer admission for mechanical engineering!</p>

<p>Offer admission mechanical engineering!!</p>

<p>Accepted to Computer Science
3.6 W, 3.3 UW
however, I did not get an email like my friends that got accepted. I checked the portal and it said Letter of Decision not yet available, but Offer Admission. When will my email come??</p>

<p>It took about 5-6 days for the e-mail to come for me. Don’t worry, they are swamped with applications and so it may take time for them to send the mail. Congrats on the admission.</p>

<p>Hey uhh i just received my letter in the mail, i live in the middle east so a delay was expected . If i got a merit scholarship, would it be in the same package? Or is that another letter sent out again?</p>

<p>@YBN1996 When were u admitted. I was admitted on 2nd Jan and I still didn’t get anything.</p>

<p>@shadowgunkiller I was admitted on Dec 13th…</p>

<p>Got in on Dec 13th.
Special Ed/Elementary Ed
White girl from Indiana
Lots of extracurriculars/leadership
1430 sat and 3.7 gpa</p>

<p>@YBN1996</p>

<p>I received the Trustees scholarship separately from my offer of admission. I think that other scholarships are also delivered separately from offers of admission, however, it may be different for international students.</p>

<p>Im not an international student @runner019 im a US citizen , i just live abroad. I guess ill have to wait and see if the scholarship letter arrives by mail? Congrats anyway :)</p>

<p>Oh, sorry for assuming! :)</p>

<p>I submitted mine before Nov. 8th and still haven’t received anything. And it says on my portal that everything is processed, so they must’ve gotten it. Did you guys all receive emails or do I have to check the portal everyday?</p>