***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted to a medical program!

Is anyone considering/not considering/debating the GW/GW program?

@caballero Which interview day you guys went to for Pitt GAP?

@ hriant88,
We were there on Tuesday 3/14, and you ? Thanks

What tier is the TCNJ/NJMS program?

@ccuser00 - I believe NJMS is considered mid-low tier.

Ranking/Tiering is very subjective. USNews ranking takes into account # of applications as well as selectivity of admissions. Colleges like Drexel and Temple have very high number of applicants, which makes me think they have slightly inflated ranking. I asked about comparing medical colleges for good residency placement, and the advice I received from a current student is to compare by Internal Medicine residency. The % of placement into top Internal Medicine residencies can be approximated into a relative ranking of the medical school. The caveat is that there is no ‘official’ ranking of Internal Medicine residencies. I used doximity for IM ranking and noted down the % of placement into top IM residencies for each college we’re considering. That helped DD narrow down her choice to NJMS.

Hope that helps.

one way to measure residency matches is to see how many are getting into university hospitals vs community hospitals.

@caballero Really, my D went to Tuesday’s session too. They must know each other. What’s your kid’s name?

@hriant88 - Don’t ask for kids names on CC, this site is supposed to be anonymous. You can ask over PM.

@srk2017 as far as university hospitals versus community hospitals, how does this factor into the “quality” of the residency placement?

Also, doesn’t residency placement depend more upon the students themselves? I thought an exceptional student would likely match well no matter where he/she goes, as long as the student works hard?

@FranceIndia - you get more research opportunities at university hospitals and also more time for teaching. Community hospitals usually have more case load so less time for teaching.

Compare match results between various schools and you will see the difference.

Does anyone have any insight into the Case PPSP program? What are your thoughts and/ or experiences?

Edit: I’ve narrowed it down to PPSP, Vandy, and WashU. I’m 101% certain that I want to go into the medical field too. Thoughts on where I should go?

Congratulations to all that have been accepted to BSMD and many thanks to all the tireless contributors who have guided us along the way. It has been a really roller coaster journey but your experience and willingness to share helped us a great deal and kept us sane along the way. We will post a full stats/reflections later. We came to the BSMD party a little late as we didn’t now about it until daughter’s senior year. However we are really blessed to have been accepted into a couple of programs. And here we are - decision time and need you all to help weigh in.

DD looking to study BME UG and attend med school later.

BSMD acceptances
VCU (Provost Sch. - $81K COA over 4yrs UG)
Penn/Jefferson ( full pay ~132k COA over 3yrs UG)
Siena/AMC (2/3rd tuition sch. $121K COA over 4yrs UG)
UConn (2/3rd tuition sch. $130K COA over 4yrs UG)
Sophie Davis (Full pay)

Regular UG acceptances under consideration
University of Pittsburgh (Full ride - BME
$0 COA)
Harvard (Full pay - ~$280K / 4yrs)
Duke (Full pay - ~$280k/ 4yrs)
CWRU ($32k/yr sch. - $116k COA 4 yrs)

DD’s is leaning towards Pitt full ride and Harvard full pay as a pre-med.

She believes Pitt gives her the most opportunity (research, EC, pre-med support) to do well in UG GP, MCAT and apply later to med school. She is a little apprehensive about Harvard - especially maintaining a high GPA required for med school.

Thank you so much for helping to weigh in

@dendyp - Harvard is known for easier grades than other Ivies. Why is she not considering VCU? Aren’t you instate? If

@cheegyxd - Did you get any scholarships/aid at the three schools you mentioned?

@srk2017 Only at Case (29.5/year). My parents have made it clear to me that money isn’t a huge issue and that I should go to the place that will be the best for me.

@cheegyxd - Case PPSP is the only guaranteed BSMD of the three. If you’re sure, makes senses to take that so you can be less stressed about medical EXs and 4.0 GPA in UG.

Who are all going to NU HPME ?
Is anyone going to NW wildcats welcone event on Monday?

@cheegyxd Just go with Case PPSP. Thank your parents and inform them to invest the $100-120k which you will save for not attending Vandy or Wash U and you can use it for your child education! GL.

@DendyP Does Harvard Medical School give preference to Harvard graduates ? If you have $280k to spend, take Harvard UG and try to get into Harvard Medical School (minimum GPA 3.9 and very high MCAT >520/528 needed ).