***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

My DD got into USF Honors College and UToledo Bioengineering program, For both these, as long as she maintains the GPA (and other requirements), she will get the medical school interview in sophomore year or later. She is trying to compare them with each other. Any inputs?

Also, for those in the same situation of being accepted into both these programs, would you share your comparison of these two? Hers are that

1. USF is better rated that UToledo
  2. meeting needed GPA at USF seems hard, not sure about UToledo (anyone know?)
  3. not enough info On Bioengineering program at UToledo (anyone have info?)
  4. Neither of them indicate a seat is being ‘held’ at the medical school for the BS candidates, so both are pathways, not guaranteed programs.

@anon9268 - is Temple a guaranteed BSMD or pathway?

@anon9268 Thanks for the information. I will wait for the admission packet to arrive. Thanks for your help

@mom22dds Temple is another oddball and needs clarity before you finalize. There was somebody last year got selected and I believe joined also. Check last year thread and send pm to get input. Though it appears better than SLU and Toledo, unfortunately Temple medical college does not do the interview now and it does later. Though it appears very high chance you will get acceptance in to medical college (as long as student maintains the GPA/MCAT), it is a concern. The reason I believe it is better than other 2 programs, the interview though happens later, it appears to be a formality than filtering. Best is to confirm with the school and also with any student who are already doing it there or even find some one who has gone thru the process and doing MD now.

“Those who meet the undergraduate requirements of the program will be nominated for consideration during their junior year at Temple and those selected to interview will meet with a member of the Admissions Committee.”

Thank you @GoldenRock . I do not know if DD has applied to Temple, I’ll check with her. She did apply to the Washington Jefferson College-Temple program and is waiting to hear whether she will be selected for interview.

The UToledo program also involves interview only later (3rd year I think) and not on admission, so it is also a pathway program rather than a guaranteed BSMD program. From Temple wordings you posted above, even the interview does not seem guaranteed for Temple, so looks like another Pathway program too.

There seem to be a lot of pathway options, but not all of them are similar. USF seems to be a major filter-out program, cos I see it mentioned in some thread that only 7 really matriculated from BS to MD through their BSMD program, but a lot of honors college students (~200?) started off interested in them. I wouldn’t want my DD to go through a program with such a bad matriculation rate. UToledo does not seem to have that filter-out notion from what I’m hearing but no firm stats on that. Not sure about Temple. Would be good to know the MD matriculation rate for these pathway programs. I will post as I find out. Would be good if others could do the same.

Called BU today and they said they’d be contacting students till mid-Feb

Is there a 2017 pre med thread?

called PSU today and they said they are still contacting people!!

Anybody know when drexel will start releasing interview results?

@branden12343 I believe they released them around the 22-23 last year so it will probably be around the same time this year

Ty os, btw does anybody know when the tcnj interview requests will stop?

@asmed7 letting people know they need to do interviews or??

Has anyone heard from UTSA Fame or Howard BSMD?

Hi @butterfli123, i got the undergraduate interview at st bonaventure. do u have any advice on what I should prepare? do you know what they’re particularly looking for. could u dm me please? Thanks

@screenname2017 yea they are still notifying people about interviews and stuff

@bsmdlooking My son emailed UTSA FAME. He got email saying that it will be sent by end of this month. I am assuming last week. Have you applied to Houston. He sent email to Houston, but has not heard anything from them yet.

Also does anyone know when Northwestern sends interview notifications?

@AllenTx15 I had contacted Howard and they just told me that they are still processing. But I have looked back in last years forum and many students only received interview notifications in April. Hopefully they are able to get it done quicker this year! Thanks for the update on UTSA, good luck to your son!

Does anyone know how many students apply for Boston smed?

@AllenTx15 - Based on what I have seen in last year’s thread, I think Northwestern sends invitation at the end of the month.

Does anyone know if Union or Siena/ Albany prefer out of state or in state?