***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Yes can work against someone. We know some one in 2018 batch who left Rutgers/NJMS with full ride for undergrad and joined BU (with no ride). Some 2 years prior in 2016 batch another doing the exact same, BU over NJMS (not sure which feeder) and Yale traditional route. And the admissions folks of these programs are quite smart with sharp memories.
The reason they don’t have wait lists is their expected target enrolment is 50% of those they accept and they are confident it will be met (sometimes over shooting too).

It seems like there is no waitlist for NJMS here.

Some Top tier candidates have multiple
Offers and no BS MD program has all selected candidates joining them

We heard that Programs where there is waitlist like HPME etc it is not a issue but for programs where there is no waitlist They tend to offer more candidates one time and expect a range of folks joining the program based on previous years data. Here for Rutgers expected range of NJMS expecting would be 6 to 9 students. I assume if more join they adjust in next year enrollment.

@carlos8

You need to be admitted to one of the 3 honors program at StonyBrook to be even considered for BS/MD.

The Honors essay is for that.

@NoviceDad

Thanks for your response. There is no detailed information about the essay for honors program, such as words limit etc. Do you know if the School of Medicine will review the essay for honors program or only review the essay for BSMD program?

Thanks again!

@seapdx2002

The specific Honors college recommends you to the School of Medicine and forwards your application to them.

IT may be fair to ASSUME that the entire application including essays are sent.

The following is on the Stony Brook site
“After submitting The Common Application, please upload a brief statement in Stony Brook’s portal on why you believe you will be a good fit for your preferred honors program. In the Portal, go to “Upload Materials” section to submit your essays by January 15. For more details, visit stonybrook.edu/scholars.“.

I emailed as well. And was told It is not an essay but a Brief statement. Only the “why medicine” is an essay.

@NoviceDad

Thank you!

I got an interview invite for GW the other day. Anyone else got one?

@carlos8
I haven’t received it yet (hopefully lol)… what day was the interview for?

@carlos8 - My friend’s daughter got GW interview couple of days back.

so the shorter response is answering why you believe you would be a good fit for the programs: WISE or The honors college or scholars. Not why you are fit for the medical scholars bsmd program?

What are the interview dates for GW?
Does anyone know how many kids are invited for GW interview?

Re: challenges/unpredictable selections

Another factor that can work against one’s chances is the applicant pool from one’s own school. It can happen at any stage, pre interview selection or post interview.

I am reminded of a student from a well known school district, 1600/4.0/great ECs all 4 years/glowing recommendations not only from teachers but physicians/researchers too. It seems in a rare gesture the interviewer at NJMS even said something to the tune that the student will be a great fit for the program. (Perhaps to not only assure of selection but also trying to convince not to go elsewhere once selected)

Once the results came out the student was shocked to find out that NJMS turned down. Later found out that someone from that school with more or less similar credentials but also a top athlete who won laurels to the school got selected. Generally these programs try to cap at one student from school district.

Unfortunately there was a big overlap between the student’s and the athlete student’s applications to various programs (apart from NJMS) and the latter had upper hand in all of them. Pity of the matter is that he/she would have enrolled in only one of the selected programs (and may not even) while potentially ruining the chances for all other aspirants from the same school. Some of the factors that come into play in such cases are students with Sports, URM, unique life situations and experiences.

The student mentioned above is pursuing traditional path in local state school and am sure must be doing great.

Corre t

@Kc2002

Your “Corre t” is meant as response to @nightriser1 question above?

To avoid ambiguity mention the name handle of the person you are responding if specific.

Frankly 2nd part is equally true for non-athletes.

Yes, that can happen too, in child’s program two of the school mates junior by one year were called for interview. Both with stellar records but only the would be valedictorian selected

@PPofEngrDr : Frankly it would happen in traditional path too . Being valedictorian in Ivies is tougher than in flagship public school … This always remind me the movie " Hunger Game" .

Sorry meant in response to person asking about stony brook statement v essay. Correct that brief statement for honors college.

Folks

NU - HPME had in one year selected two students from the same high school.
It can happen but I would tend to agree that such cases are rare.