***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@kush22 : Congrats ! Interview about an hour , and can last up to 90 mins , so prepare to wait for longer time.

Very relaxing conversations with 2 friendly professors :slight_smile:

No need to worry , just get there on time .

Thanks much for the heads up :smiley:

@gradedu - Yes, LORs can be a factor. A strong LOR may be a tiebreaker. However, I don’t think that they -vely influence in most cases since you ask the ones you are comfortable with and expect decent letter. I don’t think any faculty will agree to write a LOR and write -vely. It’s called Letter of Recommendation not Letter of Testimony :smile:

If I haven’t heard from BU or AMC (submitted supps on 12/23) yet, should I just assume I was rejected pre-interview?

@SpeedSkater my son (current senior in LIM program) mentioned that there were Union tours and AMC interviews today–how did it go for you?

Folks

Updated list of invites that are out:

• Penn State/ Jefferson
  • AMC
  • BU
  • GW; SBU/GW
  • TCNJ/ NJIT / Rutgers - first round with undergrad
  • UAB
  • SUNY Upstate / feeder schools

Thank you for sharing. Can you please let us know when BU/GW interview invites went out?

Hi everyone

This thread seems very helpful and I am hoping I can get some help here. I am a junior and in regards to Maths I have taken Accelerated Geometry B/ Algebra II (9th grade), Accelerated Precalculus (10th grade) and am currently taking AP Calculus
AB and BC. Yes, AB/BC is allowed in a single year. For senior year, my options are DL Math or AP Stats. I want to go into BS/MD programs.

My question is should I take DL Math or AP stats? Would one be better than the other? Do colleges consider AP stats as a Math course?

Thank you for your help!

@confusedjunior61 : Have faced a similar situation but counselor strongly opposed to do BC in a year. So ended up spilt into 2 years and 2 easy A+.

BSMD results are uncertain and BC is good enough for requirements.

My answer is what would you plan to major UG - with / without BSMD.
Then you can tackle the question dedicated to your preference.

@orm2020 : yeah AB and BC are allowed together and it takes up 2 periods. I am comfortable with Math so grades are fine. And I plan to major in neuroscience, bio or psych.

I want to take Stats but am worried that colleges may consider that as a non-Math course.

@confusedjunior61

Not sure what you mean DL Math or whatever, but guessing Distance Learning/On line. Statistics is definitely considered as core Math course. The issue comes when someone has Stat but no Calc level course. Then the admissions folks may feel your Math background as not strong enough. Not the other way around. Now Pros and Cons:

Pro: Stat is a recommend course for a medical professional. In fact some BS/MD programs may make you take one if you don’t have it. Other DL math you may opt over Stats may not be all that helpful in this path.

Con: After doing Calc, people may not find Stats as interesting and mind tingling compared to say a follow up sequel like Multi variable or Differential equations. Also such courses will be valuable for those considering other areas for undergrad such as CS, business and engineering, more than Stats. If you want you can appear for AP Stats test by self studying.

So my recommendation is to go with your interest primarily either way.

@rk2017 : DL Math is Dual Enrollment from Our State College (it is very highly ranked).

Thanks for your input. I guess then I will stick with AP Stats. My school only offers 2 choices for senior year after BC: DL Math and AP Stats. The school does not offer Multi variable or Differential equations courses. Those would have been good choices. :slight_smile:

@confusedjunior61 : That is why we spilt into 2 years :slight_smile: Both counselor and math head told me the lack of choice here. I worried about AP stat scheduling too. The only class offered may conflict with AP eng lit/physics /econ etc.

Take whatever your interests and convenience . You will spend months writing BSMD essays soon.

@starplatinum Posting for my daughter as she’s assigned me to post here for now. :smiley:

Met 4 LIM students and staff from Union and then toured the campus. Her feedback: She liked the people and campus along with the small school experience, and in general had a good vibe.
AMC interview was about 45 mins. She thinks it went well. Her advice is to be yourself and not get nervous (easier said than done I guess!)
I wish you all the best!

@confusedjunior61

Yes, makes sense, you also don’t want to jeopardize your chances by taking a college level course (with college kids) at a rigorous school and risk showing a sub par grade to the admissions folks of these programs (for 1st marking period of senior year)

@SpeedSkater

great to see that it went well for her. Was there not a group interview at AMC as well? My son had mentioned he had undergone a group interview a few years back when he was applying.

Does anybody know about the GW program? The UG admissions office has no clue on the process.
According to their website (https://smhs.gwu.edu/academics/md-program/admissions/dual-programs/bamd) it sounds like there’s a 2nd invitation only essay.

“A small percentage of qualified applicants will be selected to complete a second essay about their motivations for medicine and their interest in GW.”

Is this true? My daughter says she didn’t submit anything other than what was part of the CommonApp essay prompts.

Secondly, how did the GW interview requests come in? Email or the portal?
Thanks in advance!

Another gripe
schools like GW that advertise their tuition at $58,000 should do a better job than having student workers with minimal knowledge at the admissions office. The admissions person said they hadn’t responded to the email from more than a week ago because their email was “full”. Then her answer was “You will get an email” to all three questions asked (One of them was
“Is there an additional essay for this program that’s sent by invite only?”

Simple things like these also make somebody wonder about the quality of education. Staff at some of the other schools were very responsive and knowledgeable.

Earlier this week, I had read that the scholars for medicine program requires admission to the honors college. However, when emailing the admissions office, they said that admission to the honors college is not required. Can anybody confirm?

Re GW: those invited to interview were asked to provide two additional short essays to add to their file. I assume it’s to provide additional information for the actual interview.

Btw, notification was by email.

@itsgettingreal21 Thanks for your input. When did you get the notification for interview invite? What are the interview dates?