***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

My understanding is that NJMS does their own selection from the forwarded pool @BSMD2020Tired

@rk2017, @srk2017 : Thank both for valuable advises. If plan A works , then just discard plan B :slight_smile:

Financial Aid/ Merit scholarship for state flagships is something I would seriously considered. Have seen parents discard FREE Ride of state U and full paid private U(middle class not qualify for financial aid ), then regret for life. Consequent funding on med school or grad schools cannot be overlooked along the long long journey.

@Zephyr212 @Kc2002 UConn sends out a mass email with interview invitations. LAST YEAR they went out on 1/25 for the following interview dates: 2/4, 2/11.

Current students in the program are asked to help out at interview day, which is how I know this year’s dates are 2/5 and 2/10. You all should expect an email in the coming days about your status.

@BSMD2020Tired @peebu2024 To my knowledge, NJMS will interview all candidates forwarded by the feeder schools. They then decide who to admit after that.
So you can be eliminated in one of three spots: Before the feeder interview, after the feeder interview, or after the NJMS interview. I may be wrong though; speaking from personal experience.

My niece has a BU interview coming up and was asking me for some guidance.
We have gone through a BS/DO process last year and not applied to BU.

Any BU specific interview information / guidance will be appreciated.

Tagging some regular handles - @NoviceDad, @rk2017, @sajju786, @GoldenRock, @WayOutWestMom, @grtd2010, @srk2017, @PPofEngrDr

Others also please chime in.

Thank you.

@mywish4u - As I mentioned before don’t sweat about the interviews. She should be prepared to talk about her ECs and usual no gotcha questions are asked. They know these are HS kids. They just want to be sure that kids are mature and talk coherently. Tell her not to be nervous, make eye contact and don’t use filler words. Dress professionally and be nice to every one :smile: Also have some follow-up questions to ask about the program or medical school in general. GL!

Ok, thank you for the information.

Nope we are not in state for UNC, OOS it is.

You make interesting points. We are still in the beginning of the process, lot more schools to hear from , both BSMD and otherwise. Let’s see where the chips fall :smile:

Did anyone received the TCNJ Quest questions to fill out as I did not filled it out the answers when I applied back in Nov. And also got the TCNJ interview already so is it necessary to fill this out, as was optional but looks like they care so much about as want to know why you want to come to TCNJ.

Not necessarily. Since ECs outcomes are unpredictable (such as research publications) and always competing with someone else from the same school having them better than one’s own.

C was telling about a high school batch mate’s brother couple of years ago. Had a 100% ile on MCAT and wait listed at BU med school. Not sure where he landed eventually, out of touch.

Check out last year’s thread by searching with key words like interview, tips etc. The general impression is that the interviewers are pretty nice and so treat it as a formal conversation and not an interview.

Thank you @srk2017 and @rk2017

@mywish4u

This thread also has some inputs regarding BU interviews. May be somewhat outdated though, hopefully someone with more recent experience like @sajju786 can weigh in with their takes.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21526568/#Comment_21526568

I understand the total risk aversion. only 5% of UGs have research publications and sincerely doubt that’s what held back that candidate to get admission at BU. I know candidates who got into T5 medical schools without publications.

What’s your C’s (or yours) strategy for residency? ECs make big difference for competitive specialities or top programs. I know prestige doesn’t matter to you. Is your C is ok to do a FM residency at a community hospital in Newark?

100% ile MCAT doesn’t guarantee an admission to all low profile schools, unlike how high school to college admission to non-medical profession works. It is highly likely that being top of pool, you are highly unlikely to join that low profile med school, hence rejection, wait listed, instead of guaranteed admission.

Thanks @uravgperson for the clarity on UConn. Is UConn mostly for in-state or do they accept OOS as well? The fact that interview invites go out so close to interview dates kind of implies that they pretty consider in-state students only?

@ParentCA Of course! I’d say each cohort is about 50% IS and 50% OOS. Some years there are a little more IS and others a little more OOS. I wouldn’t consider the fact that interview invites go out so close to interview dates as implying that UConn only considers in-state students.

You mean yield protection?

Precisely!

You think USNWR is wrong with their ranking for BU (#30)?