***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@Kc2002

I asked a question in post #2656 - @uravgperson indicated last year it came out 1 week between the first interview date.
This implies we should hear by Jan 29, 2020 as this year the first interview date is Feb 5, 2020 (as per post #2655).

Thanks @NoviceDad

My DD got into UNC for UG in premed track :smile: we are happy to have a solid option in traditional route while we wait for other programs to get back to us.

@kush22 :smiley: Glad to hear so. A backup plan is the most important after all. This BSMD process is unpredictable. Even after med school interview, another 50% will be cut. So parents and students have to be prepared if not getting positive results.
Indeed out of 5000 applicants , maybe add up to 200+ seats - 5% success rate ā€¦

All: Would NJIT or TCNJ let you know if application has been forwarded to NJMS?

NJIT email to ask student wait till end of January. TCNJ did not hear anything since interview 3 weeks ago, but TCNJ is still interviewing. I guess they would definitely informed once NJMS make decisions to interview.

So few seats and so many of us waiting :frowning:

She has to write a personal statement and secondary essays for Medical schools for BS/MD during admission process. If any one can definitely answer your question, it will be an Adcom member.

Parents are not allowed inside the interview room and candidates may not be allowed to share details of interview. In general, it may last a half day and will likely be in a group setting.

Refer to my comments on ACT writing specifically in a couple of posts earlier. (Try searching for key word writing).
As far as I know only NU seems to be biased against writing for ACT takers (only, they are fine with any writing score on SAT).
So if your target is NU HPME and applying with ACT, you may want to reconsider taking it. Otherwise should not be major issue.

Congratulations! I hope you are in state. I donā€™t think they give any price breaks for OOS. For traditional route pre meds, undergrad price tag is also a consideration for most, following the competitiveness of the undergrad school. Since the following med school portion is bound to be quite expensive.

In childā€™s high school batch there were some 11 that got into UC Berkeley and 10 who got into GA Tech, 6 to UT Austin, all OOS for them. So out of 20+ or so distinct students with these selections on hand, only 1 of them went to UCB CS and none to Ga Tech or UTA. Obviously both of the above mentioned factors were major deciders (some 2-3 within this particular set may have also gotten into MIT, Princeton and such and went there instead, that is the other factor)

@rk2017 : 11 get into Berkeley is impressive, and these students definitely have more than 1 bird in hand . Private U. may cost more or less than OOS Berkeley. So why not top 20s with a small student class size.

Right now many rejections are in, and low acceptance or interviews chance are seen. Since 90+% applicants are not going to get through, preparing for traditional UG / choosing major wisely is something we should think about.

Because waiting for last minute miracle can cause emotional decisions. I started to think through all the possible majors beyond ā€¦

Besides Biology/Neuroscience major, any recommendations ?

@orm2020

Some of them did go to ā€œtop 20ā€, whatever that means, the likes of WashU and Duke. For them either finances is not a concern and/or medicine is not THE only career choice.
But most chose to go to local public school (a rather reputed one) and conserve the funds for the med schools later.

Regarding majors, some are choosing Bio med engineering or chemistry. Some others going for Psychology / Sociology in case if they have to pursue other career paths like management or law, but can also serve as impressive backgrounds for medicine too.

@orm2020 - Big state flagship schools are risky for premeds given the class sizes in weedout classes. Going T20 does give some advantage provided you maintained the GPA and MCAT despite the denials here. You need to assess your childā€™s work ethic, HS competitiveness and your financial situation (donā€™t mortgage the house or 401k). Lot of T20-T50 schools offer good scholarships based on stats and most BSMD candidates qualify for those. I would recommend targeting those and bring the cost inline with in-state flagships if no or good BSMD acceptances.

As per majors, it varies by school but BME is the hardest one, followed by any engineering. However kids need to like the major otherwise GPA will take a hit. at Vandy, Neuroscience is most popular for premeds but my S chose to do Biochem given his interests . Also, some pick major for employment opportunities if medical school doesnā€™t workout (plan B ) but again lot of strong students donā€™t think about plan B. Doing CS as minor is very popular now a days.

Other than UCB/LA, UMich, UVA and Ga Tech (and may be few I am not aware), most state schools are quite doable for good students. Sure, they have huge class sizes, big campuses, lot of distractions, but those need not deter one focused on his or her target. If the organic chem class size is 300, it doesnā€™t mean they are going to hand out As only for a handful. The proportion also goes up accordingly, say 60 or so.

No need to go blow money on some private school for undergrad, unless they give you a good deal or you really like that school and donā€™t have to worry about conserving for med school.

Also I believe many of the schools these days have peer guidance to seek help from. These are the students who have had taken the courses (the difficult ones) and gotten As in them. The TAs of the courses can also be quite useful (the Masters and PhD students who help the Prof). If even these two are not sufficient, worst case one can also look for paid one on one tutoring in those handful of supposedly tough* courses. May end up paying by few thousands but still not a bad deal if it helps succeed and with the low in state fee.

• Asked child if the courses are really tough as is the general impression. Have been told, not really, just matter of adjusting to a different kind of subject matter and study habits.

In fact child managed good grades in all 3 of the supposed tough courses, Orgo I, II and Advanced Bio Chem (skipping the foundational one, and taken at med school with grad level students), seeking no help from anyone and only self study, sleeping in the classes because felt bored and even abstaining from a good number of them. Also got a 99% ile in the physical and chemical sciences portion of MCAT with barely any preparation.

In other words, your child would have been a great candidate for traditional route :wink:

Did anyone get into the Umiami HPM program, I just received the acceptance this weekend? Iā€™m wondering if anyone has any details about it, the information is so vague online.

@BSMDGAL Reviewing their site, it is marketing flavor of pre-med student of a college. In other words, HPM should not be deciding factor to select Miami. But if you are decided to join Miami for various other reason, HPM may benefit. But if you join Miami try to get in to MSP (EAP program with Miami Medical). MSP has its own pros and cons and research when the time comes in April to decide.

Once BS/MD applications are forwarded to NJMS for example from Rutgers-Newark, does NJMS send interview invites for all of them or do they perform another selection and send invitations to only a few students whose applications have been forwarded?

@BSMD2020Tired : I would say only NJMS invitations matter here because it is the final decision maker . No matter what , let us wait patiently because nothing we can do nothing to speed up the process or alter the interview decisions.