***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

If we haven’t received the Upstate supplement from either Albany or Adelphi, should we assume we haven’t been forwarded?

Adelphi sent emails and made phone calls scheduling interviews last week. Did you receive an email or phone call? The interview at Adelphi is the first step. They then decide whether to refer your application to Upstate.

@Kc2002 I got an email saying that I would be contacted the next week (a week ago) that said I would get an email about my interview status for Adelphi. I scheduled an interview for the honors college, but I think that’s separate from the program.

1 Like

Yes, the honors college is separate from the med program. The email and call came late last week, so you may here this week. It may take some time to contact everyone.

@Kc2002 Are you a New York resident or out of state? Do you still see slots open on 1/8 afternoon?

@BAMDHopeful @hermionea wait so you only had to pay $65? I didn’t have any option but to pay $110…

Also, Polytechnic had sent me a supplemental like all the way back in November, and it was just a few questions about why I wanted to attend Poly and why I wanted to attend Upstate. Then Upstate sent me a supplemental just three days ago where I had to pay $110 and there was like one small essay I had to complete but it was mostly just an information supplemental. Last I checked there was no option for me to pay 65, it was only 110 that was listed.

Also how likely is it to get accepted after getting referred to the undergrad college?

@PathophysiologyFTW I would rather pay $110 if it can get me in the program :)! It’s probably the first year of this program, everyone is trying to figure out how it works.

Upstate hopefuls,

This is perhaps their 2nd or 3rd year of their program and guess the process is still in the path of evolving.
Believe this time they have added a number of feeder.schools in the state of New York. Good thing about that is, even if they allot 5 seats for each feeder school, there will be a sizeable overall intake of 50-60.

The more number of feeder schools one applies through the higher the chances of getting an interview with Upstate. If one feeder doesn’t recommend you the other(s) may.

Upstate is a decent medical school, though the program is not accelerated (don’t go by usnews ranking or not ranking them at all). OOS NY students opting for the program may eventually be eligible for instate tuition by the time they matriculate into the medical school.

Looks like they will be even starting new accelerated programs with new partners

https://www.upstate.edu/news/articles/2019/2019-12-09-scholars.php

Does anyone know when union/amc interviews come out?

Also for those applying to Drexel, how do you pay the fee? I got an email saying that I was forwarded but no link to pay. Should I contact them?

I scheduled on the phone so I didn’t schedule on the email. I’m not sure what slots are open.

@soccerdude5 Union/AMC interviews are supposed to be coming out any day now + continuing notifications through the end of january.

You have to pay it through Drexel portal.

Has anyone heard from BU SMED or Hpme

hpme will be quite a bit longer–the deadline for the hpme application is due in just over a week, so interview notifications will be later

@rk2017

Regarding your upstate note above -

I always assumed that it’s not advisable to apply to multiple feeder schools for the same medical school since there will be confusion.

Seems NJMS and Albany might fall into this rule. But not Upstate ? Unless I’m getting things mixed up …

Thanks

@helperdad

Only Albany (AMC) started enforcing it since last year I think, that you need to choose only one of their 3 feeder schools.

NJMS and this relatively new program at UpState have lot many feeder schools with no such restrictions. In fact students tend to apply through multiple feeders to increase their chances of being forwarded by at least one of them, and if selected by the med school, have the option to attend whichever feeder they like the most and give the best package if any. The flip side, you may have to pay fee for each of them, attend interviews either on campus or Skype and write any essays specific to each of them again.

As an example, you can check the latest results thread, @ramen2020 applied to NJMS through Stevens, Drew and TCNJ I think.

@BAMDHopeful @PathophysiologyFTW Yes, I payed $65. I am applying Albany/Upstate so I do not know much beyond that program. Albany refers 25 students to Upstate of which 10 seats are filled in Upstate. I believe this program is relatively new.

@hermionea how do you know that 25 students are referred? 10 out of 25 is a healthy ratio! :slight_smile:

It seems odd that no one in this forum received an invitation for interviews from BU SMED this year.