***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Has anyone here applied to the bs/md program at Howard?

congratulations @ivyhunter ; Any one know if RPI/AMC is a binding program - meaning you cannot apply to other medical schools 3 years later ?

@ATX1826 you get the BS degree after the first year of medical school; I dont think you can apply out after three years.

Got it @NewJerseyFan !!. Thanks.

Is Stony Brook interviewing for their Scholars for Medicine program? I got an email for financial aid but all they said was that honors programs decisions will be released in March…

@grtd2010 AFAIK, no, only HS seniors.

@biomeds Thanks!

Are any of you guys University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) BSMD applicants? I’m not sure if it’s been brought up previously but there are 143 pages…

@mouse2 I believe interview invites were sent out in early March last year, so they should be coming soon. Best of luck!

Addressing concerns about getting the “college experience” in BS/MD programs:
(I know it’s long, but I think anyone with the credentials to get into these programs definitely deserves an enjoyable college experience so I wanted to tell “my story” :slight_smile: )

I have seen a couple people on here concerned about not getting the college experience because of being in one of these med programs. This was a big concern of mine, because during my entire high school career, I worked extremely hard and virtually never had free time (I’m going to assume this is many of you). Although I am more than dedicated to the medical profession and knew I would attend any bs/md program that accepted me, I really wanted some sort of social life (in all this talk about lifelong commitments, remember, we’re still teenagers!).

It is more than possible. I am in a bs/md program up north, and more often than not, I feel like the kids in our program have better social lives than the pre-med students. It is a SUCH a blessing to be accepted to medical school and have that stress off your shoulders (really can’t emphasize this enough). You worked so hard in high school and most likely sacrificed a social life then, but you made it into this program. Provided you maintain the requirements of the program, you have much more freedom. I frequently think about if I were on the traditional track, any free time would be devoted to enhancing my resume, as med schools become more and more impossible to get in to. Once you’re in one of these programs, you really don’t have to be the top student. If you want to be and that makes you happy, that’s great. My point is, a lot of stress is relieved.

In my opinion, the key to enjoying your college experience in one of these programs is to get a real, honest perspective of the lives of the kids already in the program (ask them when you visit) and if you are blessed with multiple acceptances, keep the social aspect in mind. Are the bs/md kids integrated within the campus community? Do they live on campus with normal undergraduate students? Who makes up their friend group (other med kids or normal undergraduate kids)? What do they do on the weekend? Each program has a different culture (some very academically/research oriented, some more relaxed). I also think the length of the program will affect social life; shorter programs most likely will be more stressful. Personally, I was accepted into an 7-year program near home, and an 8-year one pretty far away. However, my state program was notoriously rigorous, with an increased GPA requirement in the second and third year of undergrad, the med students lived off campus together in one dorm, and kids socialized exclusively with other kids in the program (which is fine, but in my opinion, I’m spending 8 years with them already, I wanted to make other friends). This, among a few other reasons, was why I chose to move 1,000 miles away from home. In summary, it is very possible to have the college experience while being in a med program, depending on the program. I understand that culture can be hard to discern for programs geographically far from you, so I wish you luck in finding the best fit. Good luck to everyone in this last stretch of interviews and waiting for decisions! :slight_smile:

Has anyone gone on their Drexel interview yet? what kind of questions did they ask, how was the format/schedule of the day, how professional should we dress?

@pilot152 I was wondering the same thing. Mine if Friday

@pilot152 I would assume that you need to dress professionally for all BS/MD interviews

Done with the UMKC interview! My only interview left is Drexel.

Has anyone heard from Sophie Davis?

Ok, seeing RPI/AMC decisions. Anything from Siena or Union yet?

Yeah. RPI/AMC wondering how many they reject or they put them all in under consideration mode if they are not ready to accept yet. Do they already send rejections out?

Siena/AMC sent update email today- results are delayed; notices will be sent towards the end of March.

@HariVayu Yes, I had my interview last Wednesday. i believe they have more rounds of interviews coming up. I only received like 5 days notice for mine.

My daughter is Junior now.
we tried so many places and she could not get shadowing opportunity.
But she has been volunteering at hospital and has 150+ volunteer hours.
Is SHADOWING necessary for BSMD program?

Thanks,

@blessed101 It helps. Said that, note it is some times hard especially for HS students, either due to age restrictions or some state restrictions it is hard to get shadowing. Try, but don’t conclude if she is not able to get shadowing, not to apply. Also ask her to continue her volunteer hours. Not necessarily only in hospital but even other volunteer work especially in helping undeserved, senior age homes, homeless shelter or free clinic etc.