***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

“do students decline interviews at this stage of the game when they have better options? Only asking because I think marginal candidates could get more interviews …”

@Shine27,

Not so likely in the BSMD stream unless they are lucky to have already got into a program they are very sure they want to attend and nothing else. People may want to explore all possibilities and weigh in different options, before making up their minds. I have seen people attending even orientation sessions of all/most of the programs they got into, even flying from far off places, before finalizing. The reasons could be financial -those who got into more or less similar programs in reputation and want to assess which program may be more financially feasible after all said and done -, geographical location/proximity to home town and the ease and comfort of the curriculum/requirements to be able to matriculate into the med program later on.

However those planning the traditional pre med programs, especially in early decision/action routes tend to do that often, which can help their fellow applicants.

And unfortunately some don’t do it even when it is all clear cut, for whatever reasons. I have come across a parent last year whose son applied early decision for CS at CMU and got in December itself. I asked the parent whether and when he was going to withdraw at other places where he had applied before and the parent was not willing to answer. Don’t think they ever did, I don’t know the reason, perhaps to brag about later on as to where all he got in.

@rk2017 @GoldenRock… tx so much for your feedback on the when and if to decline…I know people want to fully understand all their options but if one really feels a program interview invite or even an offer is not something they truly feel is the best fit would only help the incoming BSMD community…so let’s see.

…any idea how admissions know how to select students and make offers for those who truly belong at their school? What if the same students are 3-4 offers…they will only pick one program / one school…so adcoms must have a way of knowing how to strategize…any thoughts on this prior year/s parents?

@jhbof3 no communication what so ever from UCONN for my son. We are in the dark. We just got an acceptance letter for undergrad about one week ago.

I think I used the wrong word orientation which happens after the student commits to the program/school. What I actually meant was the sessions post admissions and prior to the students’ committing. The programs offering acceptance have a day long information session with the admitted students and parents to clarify any questions and touting about their program and facilitating group sessions with their currently enrolled students and tours of their facilities etc. This was what I was referring to earlier above.

@Shine27,

I am sure they all have their strategies which vary depending on the school or programs’ culture, outlook and priorities. For example a research intensive school/program may try its best to lure the applicant having a couple of research publications under his/her belt. A program whose goal is to attract a diverse student body may have a different approach such as socio economics, family backgrounds etc. A school which wants to promote primary care practice within the state may have a different strategy.
No matter what may be the goal or outlook of the programs, they have to try to make it kind of attractive and difficult to turn down for the student (whom they really want) and family. I think financial aspect is one of the most compelling in that regard for most.

@shine27 The reality is different. Each program wants the best and hence invariably every year there are couple of outstanding students who are going to get many BS/MD offers and of course they are going to join only 1 college.

Due to hard to predict, some students apply to many programs. At the same time, as the day progresses some of them do decline interviews (if they have already got an admission at much preferred school) and also decline admission.

In 2016 there was an outstanding student who pretty much got interview for every program he applied but in Feb he did decline 1 interview and in late March / April declined few admissions.

@Proudestdad There are few programs unfortunately do NOT provide explicit rejection for the BS/MD program. If I am not mistaken, UConn, BU, Lehigh among them (may be Rice). Agree, it is terrible if the programs can not even send a email to inform one way or other.

Does anyone in this forum know if NJMS is one of those programs that will notify applicants if they don’t invite you for an interview or will you get no explicit rejection? I still haven’t received any notification from them

@Proudestdad
Did your kid do the feb 12 or 14 th interview? Do you live in CT?
I don’t think all the letters come out the same day
They mentioned that in the parent meeting.
Did you kid get into honors or stem
Program?
Everyone gets a letter they said

@jhbof3
No interview. Got a letter that he was accepted in the honors program. We live in California.

@Proudestdad
From what I am hearing the honors program is pretty amazing. They have taken a big university and made it was sma.
I apologize - I think you only get a letter if you get an interview. Which I think you should hear either way if you apply

USciences should be March 31st/April 1st

Take UConn’s rejection with a grain of salt… I called up to ask why I didn’t get an interview, and they basically admitted that they made a mistake and that I should have gotten an interview, but that they couldn’t do anything about it at that point. It would have been a nice program since I’m in state, but wouldn’t want to go somewhere with so little integrity in their admissions practices anyway.

@brinksbsmd - Do you have medical research experience?..that helped you get into RPI/AMC?

@ivyhunter @rbmed18 - Does your Kid have medical research experience?..that helped the kid get into RPI/AMC?

My Kid received AMC interview notification yesterday but does not have research experience. I am wondering if it is worth ($$) a shot at it without research experience. Your opinion(s) will be very helpful…Thank you!

@SeamusBSMD , My daughter has over 450 hrs of research hours. She also is a paid research student at well known lab. I am assuming having research experience played a part in getting the offer. I am not sure how much weightage they give to research experience .

@SeamusBSMD, Research experience does help at RPI. AMC/RPI liked something in your kid’s application to invite for interview. 50% of the candidates who interviewed at RPI/AMC gets selected. So I would recommend going to the interview… AMC/RPI is not a cheap program so I am surprised that you are hesitating about interview expenses.

My advice is to interview at RPI/AMC, even if your child does not have sufficient researh experience. They already know what your child has accomplished and see value in it to invite, Honor the invite and best of luck

@ivyhunter @rbmed18 - Thank you for your time, wishes and suggestions.

@srk2017 - You are right!..what was i thinking? Thank you! if it is 50% acceptance rate it is absolutely a good idea to go ahead and schedule it.

@SeamusBSMD I believe it is less than 50% post interview acceptance rate. I believe it is closer to 35%. But if they invited your child you should consider going unless you have already been accepted to another program and have no intention of going to AMC even if your accepted…