***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

@collegechick705

Congrats!

My Hofstra counselor told me it was passed on to him by Mrs. W from the med school.

@MMBoss2 Iā€™m OOS, so the acceptance was even more surprising

I think you will be happy w UMKC - big class of 110 and the community collaborative feel is thereā€¦summers are not so bad and they donā€™t overload the first two years and a great teaching hospitalā€¦know many successful MDs who went through this programā€¦getting done in 6 years could mean more time for fellowships laterā€¦I would still prefer UMKCā€¦GL!

DD stats: 1550+ SAT, lots of APs
Math, Bio SAT 800 800 ,
4.0 UW GPA, 4.8 W GPA,
Regeneron Semifinalist, State Science fair awards
Several medical research papers in peer reviewed journals (first author) and conference presentations,
Many summers of medical research at globally renowned institutionsā€¦
Lots and lots of ECs , leadership roles, volunteer hours, medical clinics, creator of innovative community programs etc etcā€¦

Asian

Accepted: Yale, Columbia, some other ivies, UCLA, Berkeley, all CA state schools, etc etc.

BSMD resultsā€¦

BU SMED : No interview
HPME: Interview ( or whatever they call it out in the midwest), rejected
CWRU : rejected
REMS: rejected
etc etcā€¦
You get the pictureā€¦

@Metsfan7860 my DD was Duke rejected today after ED deferral in Dec, she is ok with its result. She has WashU UG traditional route (pre-med track) which she likes now. GL to all.

DD will go with traditional route after PLME/PPSP rejection. Waitlist UMKC but she has no desire to attend even moved off waitlist. Doesnā€™t want to go to OU so declined MHSP interview invites.

UG options are USC, Case, Minnesota and Michigan
Financial side total COA cost for 4 years:
USC 180k
Case 160k
Minnesota 130k
Michigan donā€™t have the package yet, 265k if no offer of merit

School wise she likes USC the most. Pre-med I heard Case is better but really have no concrete evidence to compare, except there are many hospitals around case and Case medical school is very good.

Yesā€¦agreeā€¦please decline if you know which bsmd offer you will accept by May 1ā€¦so waitlits can start gaining some traction.,tx.

@bsmddoodad,

Hmm ā€¦ Puzzled your DD with such a wonderful profile didnā€™t get an interview at BU since they are a research power house. You didnā€™t mention SAT chemistry in her profile, wondering if she didnā€™t have a chance to take it prior to applying for the program and if that was the reason for not getting called for interview? Even if so I think they could still make an exception for someone of her caliber.

Anyway good to know she has admissions at a few great places and am sure she will flourish where ever she decides to go. GL.

@bsmddoodad - I am surprised by your Dā€™s results, especially BU. Girls with similar stats are getting top BSMD programs.

Hi! I am a lurker, but I canā€™t decide between two options
Should I choose BU SMED or Princeton UG?
Right now I want to be a doctor, but I do not know what will change in the future

@rk2017 When we went to BU for interview we were told that they received 200+ applications of which 1000+ were near perfect scores. They picked only 80 for interview based on essays. Quite a few missed out.

FYI - we have been withdrawing/declining acceptances/waitlist from regular undergrad from a number of universities.
Hopefully will help folks on the waiting list.

@bsmd1826,

Interesting to know. I think you had the numbers reversed, but got what you are saying. Thanks for sharing. D wasnā€™t perfect either by any means.

But I always thought BU had whole lot of emphasis on research and any one with research profile as above would catch their attention right away, with or without perfect scores!

@rk2017 I had a typo in my earlier posts. They got 2000+ applications and 1000+ with near perfect scores.

@joyousstardust1 - Princeton is known for grade deflation. If you are not 100% sure about doctor then got to BU. Also, do you have any other schools to consider especially with merit aid?

Whichever letā€™s you sleep well at night. Joyousstardust1

i got into drexel bs/md!!

@srk2017

I donā€™t believe premed is an easy street from ANY school. If you search on the net you will find a lot of complaints about grade deflation at BU as well. Premed requirements are all basic science classes and are attended by lots of students, the professors wonā€™t hand out lots of As because the number of students and its nature of weedout classes. If you are good, you will survive premed basic requirements, a little slip, you are out. The drop out rate in premed is very high, as much as 75%. The advantages of a bio major in premed is that they can do gpa repair in higher level science classes.

@bluemonkey66 Congratulations!! Did you get an email? or phone call.

@HariVayu it was updated on the portal! thank you!