***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

@bluemonkey66 I also got into Drexel BS/MD

My D got in as well

Thanks for letting me know.

@artloversplus - I didn’t say premed courses are easy at any school :slight_smile: However some schools like Princenton, Cornell and Hopkins are known for grade deflation and Harvard is known for grade inflation. BU is also known for grade deflation but OP got admission to SMED, so little less concern (but I know one girl 2 years back couldn’t meet the 3.2 GPA requirement). My DS went thru the process last year and we didn’t even apply to Princeton. he got admission to Hopkins BME, U Penn and BU SMED, but decided to go to Vanderbilt with full scholarship. He had to work harder than he thought to get As in first semester Bio and Chem even though those are his strong subjects.

I also got into Drexel BSMD program. Did everyone’s blurb say provisional acceptance as well?

@bsmdguy1 yea it did - i think that refers to the mcat and gpa requirements

Alright cool, thank you!

DD got in Drexel
 Congratulations to all.

@sunflower2000 Congratulation!!

I found this fear mongering on both sides really confusing and misleading.
Proponents of BS/MD programs cites don’t need to worry about MCAT, all set mentality and cites fears of traditional route of no guarantee, grade deflation.
Proponents of traditional route cites more freedom, more choices to medical schools, other career path if you are not certain to be MD and cites fears of BS/MD program burn out, higher attrition rate, poor choices of specialties.

Each route has its own pros and cons and as a candidate you need to evaluate what is best for you and your family.
Even each BS/MD program (its low tier school) and UG (do I have enough opportunities for research in order to get into a good med school) has its another set of pros of cons.
That is why AAMC said, a medical school visit is a visit to a medical school.
This is why engineering is so easy, you get into good school and in 4 years you are cranking green bank.

Personally not scared of challenges so any fear is last thing I would consider for my son (he has similar mindset). Irrespective of medical route you choose, its very simple, what you trust more, your instincts in your capabilities or a fear factor.

Just got an award letter, my son is highly likely to be a fresh Wildcat !!!

I GOT INTO DREXEL BS/MD!!! OH MY GOSH THIS HAS BEEN MY DREAM SINCE FOREVER OMGGGGGGGGGG!!! CONGRATS TO EVERYONE I’M CRYING!

I made a Facebook group for Drexel BS/MD. It is searchable - the group is called “Drexel BS/MD Class of 2022/2026”. PM me if you want the link to join. For some reason, I can’t post the link on this thread.

@PPofEngrDr - Agree with you. Just like everything else, there are pros and cons to each path and it’s ultimately let kids decide. Last year several members of CC and couple of friends advised us to go with one of the 2 BSMDs my son got (RPI/AMC & BU) instead of U Penn or Vanderbilt with full scholarship. Some said you can’t refuse an Ivy League admission regardless of cost. We were willing to pay full price for BU, but my DS decided to go traditional route and joined Vandy. I know another girl from last year cycle who gave up HPME and went to Stanford.

Congratulations to all Drexel admitted and for others its not end of world.
@srk2017 admission process for us turns out good at end. My son didn’t get any BS/MD admission from 4 schools he applied to. But finally he get into Northwestern UG (couldn’t apply HPME because of one of subject test req) with very generous offer and guess what it is home just an hour drive from suburbs. So dilemma is whether you go with SLU med-scholar EAP, maintain GPA, formality MCAT and if you pass 2nd year interview then guaranteed seat at SLU SOM or go with Northwestern UG with wider net after UG. And we are leaning towards NU considering all factors w.r.t. our circumstances.

@PPofEngrDr - I will go with Northwestern UG given then generous offer. My only child won’t take 1 hour away school though :slight_smile: I am from CA and my wife still complains that I encouraged him to go out of state :wink:

Is there a FB group for Union/AMC admitted students.

@rk2017 & @GoldenRock - I am in the sameboat - I can’t send any private messages. I can see my Inbox which I think gets reflected if someone sends a private message

@srk2017 i hear father’s dilemma, kid wants to go OOS and mom wants closure to home and father can’t be a judge.
I should admit SLU med scholar is also generous enough that we can afford it. But my instincts suggest why you want to tied with a single SOM and trust his interests and instincts. All his seniors from last year who are currently in SLU med scholar as well as UMKC are also advising him to pick Northwestern.
Final straw would be upcoming visits and get more sense of research opportunities, we heard that Weinberg UG kids can do research with Feinberg SOM professors and that would certainly be big factor in a big city and getting ahead of peers for med school. We just have to navigate those details and have a clear visibility of next 4 years.

About traditional UG/Med and BS/MD comparison, I would like to use a simple analogy here.

If a high school student had worked extremely hard; had beaten out mostly average kids in high school and got perfect GPA; had done bunch of high caliber ECs, had applied for different tiers of BS/MD programs, and unfortunately still missed out the acceptances to your dream BS/MD programs due to tough competition:
Can you imagine what could happen in pre-med power houses where you NEED to beat out most of your peers in the same caliber of you?
Can you confidently get >3.8 GPA in the most rigorous weed-out courses with tough curving for 400 super smart kids like you?
Can you get all those shining ECs when you need to compete the same hard driven kids for the leadership and opportunities?
Can you really think getting MCAT 520 is similar to achieving ACT 35?
Why do you think the result from tougher traditional application cycle for med school would be much different from that of your BS/MD application?

So I would recommend students/parents to answer above questions honestly and make your choice accordingly.

@PPofEngrDr you probably already looked through it, but just in case. Northwestern also has an early assurance MD program called Northwestern Undergraduate Premedical Scholars Program (NUPSP), you can Google it for more details. The students can apply after sophomore year, only 3-6 students accepted each year based on NW website but it’s an option. No MCAT is required if admitted through NUPSP.

During our NW college visit last summer, one of the student tour guide was accepted by NUPSP. She indicated she had many research/community service experiences (in addition to her solid GPA) that are the key factors for her to get accepted through NUPSP.