***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

@TheElusiveGod Hey! So, I am still deciding between a couple BS/MD programs, but I am leaning more towards Penn State/Jefferson. I saw that you committed there, and I was wondering if you knew if there was a separate thread for the Penn State BS/MD students or a Facebook group or something?

Folks

Need your help

1. Is HPME worth taking an extra $170k in debt over Penn/Jeff?
  2. how easy or difficult is it to maintain a >3.65 GPA at NW and Penn/Jeff?

@NoviceDad
My 2 cents
) Is HPME worth taking an extra $170k in debt over Penn/Jeff?
I would say no. Remember that 170k would easily double based on interest which starts accruing from day 1. Jefferson is great med school too.
2) how easy or difficult is it to maintain a >3.65 GPA at NW and Penn/Jeff?
3.65 isnt easy, but considering the fact that you have got selected in such highly cometitive programs, you have what it takes to meet this requirement

The way I see it is to view the guaranteed acceptance just like a “safety” school in the college admissions process. I’m sure that you guys have all met people who were content to go to those schools when entering high school - which is fine, but that mentality is risky. I’ve seen some horror stories.
Aiming higher next year, just like we all aimed high this year, will make sure that you stay sharp and don’t “accidentally” drop below the GPA/MCAT requirements to stay in the program. B-)

Did anyone get Case PPSP results yet?

@NoviceDad,

I am sure you did your home work but curious how you arrived at 170k figure? My estimate of difference between undergrad PSU vs NU ~20-25k / year and both med schools being very expensive, give or take 5k a year over each other. So that should be a Max difference of what 95k over 7 years? And the student will be staggering the loans year after year and not all at once.

I think the 3.65 gpa requirement is a bigger concern.

@kfog, @rk2017
Thank you for your comments.

@rk2017
We are in-state for PennState. Total cost (using figures given by the colleges)= 303 +824 = 418K
NW - Total cost = 763 + 894 = 584K
Difference = 166K
I rounded it to $170K.

[QUOTE=""]
I am asking this bcoz I either know directly or heard from others who knew directly, people who went to Cornell, JHU and MIT ended up in programs no where comparable to where they had studied.

[/QUOTE]

I should add to my own statement from earlier. I also know 2 kids of friends who went to JHU BME almost a decade ago, did extremely well, perhaps even they did not imagine that happening themselves at the outset, joined JHU med school without having to take any gap year(s), (one of them also got into Stanford med school but chose to stay put) and will or are most likely continuing residency there itself. However this is something extraordinary and not the norm. So technically anything is possible but one also needs to be realistic.

Generally what happens at this phase of college admissions, kids and their parents get carried away by the euphoria of getting into some big name school(s) and not realizing ground reality there and overall (micro and macro levels). Especially those having and getting into “dream schools”, something we actively did not encourage D from entertaining and she too was matured enough in not getting carried away when hearing stuff like that from other kids in her eminent high school.

As someone rightly and wisely said earlier, it is our job to present facts, figures experiences of ourselves and others and give a taste of reality so kids and parents can take well informed, calculated decisions, in whatever may be the direction, instead of getting carried away and realizing later on of not being in sync with what is actually out there.

@NoviceDad,

Didn’t consider the instate aspect, even better for you :))

@studious27 Yes! There is a Facebook group called PSU/SKMC Class of 2021/2025. Just search it up and request to join!

For folks interested in aggregate Match List data (for all colleges):

http://www.nrmp.org/main-residency-match-data/

@NoviceDad I can’t tell you if the cost difference is worth it but just to give you and idea of how NW med school compares with Jefferson (I tend to look at internal medicine matches) ~30% of Jefferson students match at top 30 internal medicine programs as opposed to Northwestern where >60% match at top 30 programs. The name does matter in that regard, but it’s less relevant if the individual is set on primary care or practice in a community setting vs a major academic center

Would anyone be down to join a FB group for the NJIT/NJMS program? Just made one called “NJIT/NJMS Class of 2021/2025”

Personally to me NW vs Jefferson is an easy decision. The top 4 are NW HPME, Boston SMED, CWRU PPSP and Brown PLME. I would pick these ahead of any other combined medical program if I had a choice.

Anyone got any call from TCNJ/NJMS as yet?

@bsmdmom18 FAU out of state med school tuition and fees are about $160K more in 4 years than that for in state. Does FAU offer in state tuition or something equivalent for out of state BS/MD students for med school?

@NoviceDad Personally I ignore the COA published in any college web site. Since that includes so many things that may not be relevant for all and depends on individuals. It is almost like side effects disclaimer for any prescription medicine!

Basically the way I calculate is 2 main components. One is Tuition and related fees. Second is R&B. All other stuff I ignore. With that when I looked at NU and PSU for the entire program this is my summary.

For 4 years MD, it is pretty even. NU $58k and SKM $59k and also R&B $1k more at Philly than Chicago. So around $8k more at SKM ball park.

For 3 years UG, NU $53k & $19k ; R&B $16k NU and $11k PSU; Around $117k more at NU.

Net around $110k more at NU.

Note: Also in general R&B cost comes down significantly after first year (if mandatory to stay in dorm), since taking apt, easily cuts down $8-10k/year. So I will say bottom line it is a difference of $100k at NU.

PSU closer to your DD than Chicago, may be even driving distance and convenient from logistics.

Go with what your DD feels and happy based on her trips and her contacts with current students in both schools (both UG and MD) and make the final decision.

I know you will make the right decision VeteranDad! GL.

DD accepted to NJMS!!!

@lolgucci Congrats!! Through which Feeder college? Did you get call today?

@lolgucci Congrats! Would you mind telling us which feeder school?