***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

@lolgucci Congrats!

@bsmd1826,

[QUOTE=""]
Personally to me NW vs Jefferson is an easy decision. The top 4 are NW HPME, Boston SMED, CWRU PPSP and Brown PLME

[/QUOTE]

Not that I am necessarily supporting the view, but yes rings the bell from couple of cycles back on this forum, someone chose to go to BU SMED over in state accelerated program as well as Yale in traditional route, among others. I think in 2016 cycle.

@rk2017 I know multiple people who ended up deciding between BU SMED and NJMS and all chose NJMS (in staters).

The huge difference in COA (ranging from 200k to 400k) simply isnā€™t justifiable, considering that even though BU may have a better name, it isnā€™t that big of a difference in terms of cost benefit

Even if you want to go into academic medicine, Iā€™ve heard that unless itā€™s a top 20, widely known med school, youā€™ll end up on the same playing field.

@GoldenRock , Is there anyway I can message you privately? My son got into BS/MD. Looks like your DD is in OU. Would really help if I can talk to you. Thanks!!

just got into TCNJ via email!

@GreenPoison,

I did mention I am not necessarily supporting the view. It is personal preference.
And Yes BU is a top 20 school for medicine in US and widely known across the world. As mentioned by me on an earlier occasion, just donā€™t go by a single ranking site like usnews, but multiple like times higher, qs world, medical school start class and even us news global.

@bsmder2k18 Congrats!! ā€¦So TCNJ sending acceptances via email and not calling this year!

@sgnyc thank you! itā€™s honestly surreal, I canā€™t believe it!

@rk2017 - BU is not in top 20, itā€™s top 30 :wink: My son felt itā€™s NOT worth spending that much money for BU and declined the admission last year. For us in-state schools (CA) are top rated but extremely hard to get into.

@bsmder2k18 Congrats!!

@collegebound4884 thank you!!

My son got into OU BS MD. Having a really hard time trying to decide between that and traditional undergrad at UT Austin. We are TX residents. Any advice?

I appreciate all the support and information generously provided in this thread! It was comforting to read along while going through this process with DC. Would people comment on thoughts between OU MHP vs UMKC. I know there have been a few comments in the past that might have favored OU over UMKC? DC is OOS for both schools but an NMF. Cost is not an issue, but is UMKC worth 180K more? Itā€™s appealing that majority of the UMKC class come from the BAMD program. Are the kids more close-knit, less competitive with each other? With the extra 2 years saved at UMKC I imagine thereā€™s potential to do research between years 4 and 5 to be more competitive for selective residencies? Also with 2 years saved, thereā€™s potential to get another degree (ie Masters in Public Health or MBA), pursue specialty or subspecialty training after residency before one gets bogged down with family obligations. Both places are very nice and everyone seemed happy when we visited. UMKC would be an 8-hour drive from home. OU would be 13 hours. No direct flights from either place to home. How hard is it to stay in MHP at OU which requires an MCAT score of approximately 508 and a science GPA of approximately 3.69?

@srk2017,
According to who? Usnews? Whose rankings methodologies are controversial and criticized even by institutions highly rated by them? Even us news global rates BU med much higher than their local rankings, funnily. Times higher is a much more reputed rankings outfit and I listed few more if you want to dig into.

@dblazer, @NoviceDad, I do not agree with @dblazer analysis. You cannot just compare residency matches and draw conclusions that one school is better than the other. One very important factor is USMLE scores. If one school gets top students who get good USMLE scores purely due to their hard work will end up getting great residencies. How do know if a particular individual who gets top USMLE score but has graduated from a low tier school will not land the same residency. Knowing quite a few people who went to low tier schools who scored well on USMLE getting great residencies and some who are even faculty members at high end medical schools such as Washington University, University of Chicago, etc, I can say that the medical school name makes little difference to land great residencies. Even foreign medical graduates with great USMLE scores have done residencies at great places and some are even faculty members at these highly rated medical schools. At high school level I think having good teachers makes a difference but at medical school level when students are mature already does it really matter? I would say landing a good residency depends on who you are and how hard you work not where you go to school. I would say to someone who has extra money laying around to spend on a highly rated school that they can always give it to me, I am accepting donations. Just kidding.

Accepted to TCNJ/NJMS via email. Wondering which is better, NJIT/NJMS or TCNJ/NJMS if I want to make research a priority, probably applying out for MD/PhD.

@mouse2 - Congrats! exactly when did you get the email?

@sgnyc 12:55 PM.

@bsmder2k18 If you donā€™t mind my asking, when did you get your email?

Congrats
Looks like the emails are not sent all at once