***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

For TCNJ accepted students.

Did everyone receive their financial aid/scholarship packet yet? I still haven’t heard anything yet, whether it be through email or postal.

@sgync
@collegebound4884
@pens8787

feeder school is NJIT; DD received the call yesterday.

@GreenPoison I haven’t gotten any financial aid info yet either

@bsmdmom - UPenn is not considered as grade deflation as per I know. IT may depend on the major though. Wharon is tough, so is LSM. My S got admission last year (for Chem), but declined due to Vandy scholarship otherwise he would have gone to UPenn.

@rk2017 - Yes, I was referring to US News. I understand there are so many different ranking organizations so I am not too hung upon rankings, otherwise my S would have gone to UPenn instead of Vanderbilt :slight_smile:

i haven’t gotten anything yet from tcnj, does anyone know if they’re going to mail that or if it’s on their portal?? also if anyone makes a tcnj/njms fb group lmk!!!

@cddd I haven’t heard back from them either…they should be emailing it but I’m not sure if they’re done or not

@srk2017, @GreenPoison,

All rankings are inherently faulty in varying degrees and US News seems to hold a distinction in that aspect :)), yet for some puzzling reason people have come to believe and take them by face value. Below are the words of former Dean of admissions at Yale from the link I shared earlier. @GreenPoison, by the way thanks for sharing the good news from SB on the latest admissions cycle. Say hi to your buddies from there. Go Vikings! =D>

“Another problem with rankings is that they allow the dominant player – U.S. News and World Report, a magazine that has actually gone defunct and exists now only as a purveyor of rankings – to exert undue influence.”

@GreenPoison - We haven’t received anything other than the Acceptance email. We tried to login to Paws account but there is no updates about the acceptance as yet. We will call the admission office tomorrow morning to find out more information.

@sgnyc

Yeah same, PAWS doesn’t seem to be much help.

@rk2017

Thanks!!

@BluePanther
If you got a “dissonance” during your discussion with the WashU students, please pay attention to it.
I agree why would atop 5 rated college encourage its students to apply outside considering it selects 4-5 students per year into this program. To me that is a red flag.

@BSMDAD @dblazer @GoldenRock

Thank you for you valuable comments and insights.

Congratulations to all who get into NJ medical schools.

@plantar Here is my feedback for the questions you asked. It may completely differ from others and yours.
Your choices are UMKC vs OU MHSP and your DC is NMF.

Any question related to UMKC ask the expert Guru @Roentgen .

1. OU is flexible, you can do it 3 years also (though they may like students to spend 4 years and enjoy the UG experience). So there is really 1 year diff only between UMKC and OU if go with 3 year option.

2.OU is flexible, it gives the NMF scholarship for 5 years. So if you choose 3 years path, that is solid $110k savings of first 2 years of MD tuition for OOS. Probably you have not included this info in your calculation.

1. Maintaining GPA and MCAT requirement for a NMF should not be that hard in OU as long do the hard work. I would say, in fact it is very lenient. All that they expect is need to have => previous year admitted students average. So for you DC (assume 3 years option), need to be more than what 2020-21 admitted students average GPA and MCAT. Looking at the past numbers OU average is relatively low compared to many other MD schools average. Even every year it inches up little, still to get MCAT let us say even 514 should be doable for these BS/MD NMF kids. (to get a feel so far my D is near perfect, of course I assume she is working as hard to earn the grade)
  2. So far my D is happy with the school, place and people, profs and staff etc (of course she will complain about BioChem or Genetics, weed out courses! with 400-600 students). We are surprised she managed and adapted well when she is born and raised and seen only Bay area in her life to move to OK alone.
  3. As a parent I don't really discuss or care what sub specialty they plan to do or if they are going to do MBA or MPH etc., Because things will change and will evolve as they go thru life from teen to adult and when they get exposure when they do rotations and when they start working and having family etc., etc. I will be happy as long as they are focused and complete their MD and take up a job and settle in life sooner than later.

Feel free to PM if you have specific questions or post here and I will respond. GL.

@NoviceDad
Hello
small question
my memory of Penn state /jeff was to keep a 3.5
also if one takes in freshman soph year a senior level course, i heard a “b” becomes “a”
so it is not 3.65
??yes??

@bearchichi
You are correct - PMM requires 3.5 GPA.
So, NW has a 3.65 GPA (I thought both were the same).

Here is the text from the website:
“Students in the accelerated PMM program take essentially the same courses as, and have similar schedules to, premedical students in a traditional four-year program. They also are expected to perform at an A/B level in all courses, much as four-year students are expected to do if they hope to gain admission to medical school. Satisfactory performance on MCAT exams also is required for matriculation to SKMC at Thomas Jefferson University. The current MCAT requirement is a minimum composite score of 504 with no less than a 126 on any subsection of the exam. If students in the accelerated program are not performing at a 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale) level, particularly in the sciences, they could be asked to withdraw from the program. Typically, such a student would be eligible to remain at Penn State in another program of study.”

@GoldenRock @NoviceDad can you please answer to my post regarding selection from couple of different programs? I want to include Texas tech also in that list

@BSMD001 1. What is your state? 2. Is your DC NMF?

@goldenrock my DC Is NMF and from Texas

@BluePanther,

Yes WashU has a reputation for tough grading but I can’t find much info for you on that. I knew only one person, indirectly, who attended BME there with an intention to pursue medicine later, but she never did. She took up a job in engineering after graduating. Perhaps GPA was the blocker but can’t vouch for it.