***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

@bsmd001 If finance is a component in your final decision making, then OU will triumph. But if that is not an issue, then you need to weigh in other factors which are critical from your DC and your family point of view for PSU, Union/AMC and OU. PSU is higher ranked UG and MD if that is important in your decision making.
Do the calc also for Union. If I am not mistaken, Union fees are high and it gives aid may be up to $20 or 25k only. So still it will come out high. Also if your DC is keen on MD/MBA Union may be a good option. There is a CC person who is doing Union/AMC and very happy about the program (and he did not take up another higher ranked program). Logistics and weather if that is of any concern between Albany and Texas!

In @plantar case, I think it is easier to put OU and then UMKC (others may have different perspective), but it is going to be hard to state and rank your 3 choices as an outsider. GL.

[QUOTE=""]
The 126 4-year MD students were selected from a pool of over 10,000 individuals who submitted initial applications to BUSM. On the academic side, this is one of the best qualified classes we have ever had. The mean undergraduate GPA in this group was 3.71 and the mean MCAT was 516 (94%).

[/QUOTE]

Regarding @bsmd1826 post from this morning on BU med profile of incoming students of last year, just in case any one wondering why the median GPA is a shade lower than at other comparable schools and despite a solid 516 on MCAT:

1. BU being a high grade deflated school, the incoming students from within BU must be having GPAs in the 3.5-3.8 range for most.
  2. Being a grade deflated school themselves, they seem to be accepting and accommodating a good number of students from schools with similar grading and challenging policies, such as Princeton, Cornell and WashU.

Would anyone be interested in joining a Temple PPHS accepted students group?

Thank you very much @Goldenrock . Does it make difference opportunities wise and residency match between PSU/Jeff And OU. I am reading conflicting information on this thread reg. If school ranking place any value in residency matching

@cddd @GreenPoison @absentemt

I got my finaid stuff for TCNJ with the undergrad acceptance last week. Man it really feels like TCNJ is not on top of their game with this whole thing, even though they take the lion’s share of NJMS BS/MD acceptances.

@BSMD001 I would personally probably go with reply #3130 by the resident @dblazer who has just gone through the whole match process and would thus probably be very well-versed in this whole matter, like if a brand-new middle schooler was asking us about college/BSMD admissions.

Thank you @mouse2

Thanks @goldenrock!

@plantar, to answer your question, UMKC is NOT worth the 180K more (which is like another med school education cost in and of itself) compared to the cost of OUHSC’s Bachelor/MD program, and the 1-2 years “saved” is a drop in the bucket over your lifetime, much less to take a year or two off to do research because the school may not have a home residency program in particular competitive specialties, while OUHSC does: https://www.oumedicine.com/college-of-medicine/information-about/academic-departments.

@BSMD001 Honestly I never spent any time in understanding the residency process (though I know it is so complex and high tension) because I know at the end of the day my D will know what it takes to get in to what ever she plans to do. Agree there is so much diverse input from various posts, school may have some influence, but still I believe if the student is keen on certain things, they need to find a way to achieve their goal. Above post says, variety of departments are there and students can do electives if they are keen in a particular specialty in OU also.

But as I said above, in your case it is hard (even if I have to make a decision for my D) since PSU is higher ranked school for both UG and MD. Unless there is substantial $ diff, I may tilt towards PSU. Suggest, please do more research and get input from various sources and discuss with your Child to make the final decision.

Thank you @GoldenRock for your valuable input

@EmZoWe I got the same interview request after rejection e-mail from Rowan. Did you get the request from Cooper or Rowan SOM? I have been accepted into a BSMD program but I am leaning towards attending Rowan even with traditional MD route.

Son got accepted into McCombs business honors program with plans of taking premed courses and MCAT and also got into 8 yrs bs/md Union/AMC LIM prog.
He is looking at both programs.
Any suggestions are welcome especially from parents/students in such programs.

Deciding between NJIT/NJMS 7 year program versus traditional premed route at UVA. Any help with pros and cons will be helpful.

@cddd
Have you heard anything from TCNJ?

@BSMD001 @GoldenRock

@BSMD001 I believe @GoldenRock has laid out the options very well.

From our perspective, we did not look at OU or Union/Albany.
OU was be design (daughter did not want to go outside of NorthEast/MidWest) and Albany was oversight. So, I have not research on these universities.

Re: Penn/Jeff
I know about dozen plus doctors very well and have asked them about Jefferson. All of them have given a thumbs-up on the school and have communicated very positively on the reputation of the school. Residencies are decent and the school is well-known for surgery and orthopedics. I know of UPenn Med students putting Jefferson in their top 3 choices for residency for ortho.
Cost wise (as OOS) - you are looking at approx 503 +824 = 478K.
Ranking wise Penn/Jeff is rated higher than all other schools mentioned.

Re: TexasTech
I believe TexasTech will be a lot cheaper as the in-state med fees are <20K/yr and in-state undergrad is probably around 6K/yr. I believe they have an inclination towards family medicine but I am not 100% sure.

I suggest speak to your doctor friends / students about TexasTech MED school and their residencies.

If the residencies are decent, I may be inclined to choose TexasTech.

@NoviceDad Thanks!

@BSMD001 @GoldenRock
Pardon my typos

yes, Texas Tech is primary care focused. I know someone who interviewed for Tech and A&M for MD and chose A&M even though Tech has higher ranking.

@collegebound4884 i got an acceptance email from tcnj undergrad, but i didn’t get any financial aid stuff yet

No,we have not received

Also ,is the open house for tcnj/njms admitted students on 4/18/2018?