***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

@LivingTheMoment
My best advice is to visit for both choices are reasonable

@reallylame Credits from CC will put yourself in huge disadvantage when applying for medical schools, not just some medical schools, but most ONLY take rigorous credits from four-year colleges. On the other hand, I don’t quite understand why you want to give up guaranteed seat to one of the top med schools BCM, and worry about repeating 8 CC courses?

Thank you for your input. We are in state for McCombs and he has a full ride to the Bussiness Honors Program.
At Union/ Albany med they are giving 50% for 4 yrs.
Yes you are right , we feel the same that the bhp might not give him enough space for pre med stuff and he has to tske mcat whereas Albany med there is no mcat.
The downside is it is far, cold and mid tier college.

@rk2017

@reallylame

I feel your choice is " a bird in hand is worth two in bush"

The journey whether two, three, four years of undergrad
Is more important to learn and improve oneself and become a better person and hopefully better doctor

Please validate if we are making right decision at this point:

DC got into:

Programs:

1. Northwestern/HPME (No Aid)
  2. VCU GMED (27K)
  3. Drexel/Drexel (20K)
  4. Rutgers/RWJMS (Full Ride)
  5. TCNJ/NJMS (Almost Full Ride- Waiting for formal details)
  6. Hofstra (25 K)

Undergrad:

1. Johns Hopkins (No Aid)
  2. WashU (No Aid)
  3. UChicago (No Aid)
  4. UNC (No Aid)
  5. Vanderbilt (No Aid)
  6. Midd (No Aid)

We are leaning towards Northwestern/HPME, just wanted to see if there is any other point of view or feedback.

@reallylame Just go for UTRGV/Baylor.

@LivingTheMoment Just go for TCNJ/NJMS

@starShip If finance is not an issue and if your heart is already leaning towards NU HPME, go for it. It depends on individual.

If my D was in this is situation, she would have told us that I will go with Rutgers/RWJMS OR TCNJ/NJMS but will make sure to transfer the $500k to her account! Whether right or wrong, that is her personality.

Hello! I have been accepted into the following:

1. GW 7 year program: Getting aid for UG
  2. Drexel 8 year program: No aid
  3. RPI/AMC: No aid

I am leaning towards GW, because of location. COA is the same in all 3 places for me. I have not read anything about the GW program on this forum, and was wondering if you could help me here.

@GoldenRock thank you for your response. The question I guess is whether the NU brand worth 500K? May be I am over complicating it.

@StarShip- Congrats on your options- I don’t usually comment here, but as a Physician researcher, I I think TCNJ or Rutgers is a no brainer! Save the money! If your child becomes a practicing clinician, it wouldn’t matter where they went to med school. If they want to be a researcher, they can still go to a decent residency, do a fellowship, do research at the NIH for poor pay, and still become a great researcher at any place they want to be at. As a previous poster said, just give her the 500K! :slight_smile:

@bsmddad72 thanks for your perspective, I agree the half a million dollar question is important. Do you think the binding and non binding nature of program should play any role in decision making?

@starship If it is on the borderline like $100k +/-, temptation should be there for the prestige. But in your situation it is a solid $500k and even a Physician Researcher feels the same way.

Again binding factor may play a situation is it is extreme opposite. For example, many posters have struggle with Sophie Davis vs xyz including regular route. In your case NJMS or RWJMS is not a slouch.

Agree, is will be nice if the program is non-binding, but it is not a killer if the school is decent and you are committed for medical career.

To me deciding which program to attend is becoming more complicated than deciding which TV/Laptop to buy. I was thinking following criteria to be considered in the decision making process. Do you think these are even valid factors? What should be their priority/weightage if any?

1. COA
  2. Location
  3. Prestige of UG School
  4. GPA Ask
  5. MCAT needed
  6. Binding or Non Binding
  7. Residency Match Record
  8. Location

@starship, but don’t give her the $500k, right away. Attach strings!

The prestige of UG school does not matter at all. Almost all US graduates match into residency and 75% match into their first 3 choices. At this stage you are worrying too much about what will happen 8-10 years down the line. Just enjoy her success and join a reasonable program that is free. She is smart, lucky, and extremely blessed to have all these options. She will be fine in the future. :slight_smile:

bump

@StarShip or better put it this way, when you go to OTC cold medicine section, you simply can’t figure out what cold symptoms you have exactly and which one to buy.

@StarShip Invest 500k in a decent index mutual fund (Fidelity or Vanguard Funds) now and at 10% rate, it will be 1M in eight years. Being an NJ resident has the advantage, low tuition rate for medical schools (~40k/year).