***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

[QUOTE=""]
  1. Rutgers/RWJMS (Full Ride)

[/QUOTE]

@StarShip,
Just curious did you mean Rutgers (Newark)/NJMS?
As far as I know Rutgers/RWJMS program is for consideration only for sophomores at Rutgers main campus, unless they started a new program from this year?

@rk2017 Rutgers (New Brunswick) and RWJMS started a new program this year for high school seniors.

@rk2017 Yes This is new
Rutgers/RWJMS is in a pilot phase this year. students who got admitted with full-ride in Rutgers Honors at NB, were sent an invitation to interview with RWJMS. I believe its limited number of acceptance to RWJMS this year (10 I think). Next year they may increase.

I GOTJINTO CASE PPSP!!!THFKKFNF’el OH MYGOD I THIKNIM GONNA PUKE IM SOHAPPY

@StarShip
Save the money and place into a trust for child but dont tell him or her

People work harder if they feel the “need”
If you really want to do research, opportunities always exist to work at great labs, NIH program, low pay, long hours and then one can tap the nest egg of 500K and smiles at mom and dad

@reallylame
It is the journey not how fast not how much but did you make yourself better
well you know this

@hopefull2k18
congrats
Good job
Remember to dress warm for winter for this is still Cleveland

Thank you folks for the info on the new program at Rutgers.

@StarShip,

I am trying to figure out how much more NW would cost over your instate options.Your full ride is for only the undergrad portion and not beyond I assume? If so, NJMS/RWJS 4 years med school is not cheap proposition either, with a fee of 40k instate and with all other expenses added it will be what, 65-70 a year? So around 270k total COA? (you may want to get the actual figures at their open houses).

With NW, I would imagine ~550k. And it is spread out over 7 years and you are not paying tomorrow as some folks seem to have suggested. So the difference is really around 280, give or take. If you decide to go with NW, I would advise that you ask your kid to take loan for the final year of medicine. That way he/she won’t be paying too much on interest on one hand, since the residency starts right after, and also will be gaining financial responsibility at a young age. So this would bring down the difference to about 200k.

I don’t know about things like your family obligations, financial situations, any more kids college bound in near future etc. But I feel 200k is not that big of a deal for a middle class family, especially since the kid has an affinity towards the program and college is a one time experience they are going to cherish for a life time. Speaking for myself, at one point of time we were even considering sending D to a private high school for which we would have paid that much anyway, so sending her to a school/program she was so thrilled about getting into did not make us have a second thought even once.

S got into Case PPSP! Super excited and the wait is over!! Will post stats in the results thread little later.

@“Havequestions 1234!”

Both are good deals. However you need to get back to basics, what is your S’s motivation for medicine? If money is even 2nd or 3rd on the list, let him go to McCombs first and reevaluate after 2 or 3 years if he would still want it. Business probably makes him wealthier and quicker.

If he feels higher calling as motivation for medicine, then let him go to Albany. As many people have expressed here and I believe in too, it is not the school that makes a good physician. Don’t worry about all that noise about rankings, tiers etc. Also he will get used to the weather in a year at most. Also MCAT can be taken out of your equations since any smart kid with a little effort can get decent scores. Just try to find out the feasibility of engagement in health care related extra curriculars should he go to McCombs. Try to reach out to any student groups at McCombs and also be sure to attend the open houses at both places and find out as much info as possible and get all your questions answered before coming to final conclusions. Good luck!

Anyone received the acceptance physical mail from DREXEL Med school?

@CamPan1 yes, I received Drexel USPS mail on Wednesday. I am in NJ. When is the Drexel BS/MD program accepted student’s day?

@starship Was the Rutgers/rwjms decision by email? Do you know what day it came out?

@bsmddad72 Thank you so much for your views and comments!! Super helpful for those of us that don’t have a background in science or medicine!

DC accepted to TCNJ/NJMS via e-mail just a few minutes ago! We’ll be deciding between REMS and this program. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? Also, does anyo

Does anyone know when Union/AMC sends their final decisions? It’s the only program we haven’t heard from yet. Thanks!

Thanks @sunflower2000. Drexel portal was updated but still waiting for USPS mail. Drexel sent an email stating there are BS/MD sessions on two admitted students days Sat Apr 7 and Sunday Apr 22. Planning to go on sat Apr 7.

Whoops. I meant a few days ago.

has anyone’s PAWS updated with their acceptance yet?

Hi @TulipBox . We’re in the same boat. We’re trying to choose between TCNJ and REMS also. I posted a few days ago (on page 214) with my thoughts. The folks on this thread have given some good advice so far. Please feel free to share your thought process too
 maybe it’ll help us both decide.