***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

When writing the bs md essays, should I talk about the specific facilities and mission of the undergrad school or med school? Or both? Do they review the essays under 2 different committees, one at the undergrad and one at med, or is there a special committee for BS/MD programs?

We heard back and my daughter has been invited to the interview time in Jan.

Is this for the Baylor^2 January event at Baylor University undergrad? @mielcita

Congrats, @mielcita!!! So was mine. May I ask her stats? My DD, act 34, lots of ecā€™s top 3%ā€¦that way people know what maybe to expect.

Letā€™s see, off the top of my head
1480 SAT
32 ACT
lots and lots of ECā€™s including 4 yr varsity sport
4.48 GPA weighted
13 AP courses, including this years.
double legacy :slight_smile:

yes, abs2018.
oh, and top 4%

@mielcita Responding to your PM. Baylor / Baylor has 2 stage in person trips for the BS/MD program. That is the reason, we decided not to pursue with Baylor / Baylor since it is hard for some students who need to travel a lot and also if the first interview in Jan coincides with HS 1st semester exam. Hence I have no idea how and what they do in each stage. Also donā€™t remember any one went thru both stages in 2016 or 2017 cycle and hence not much info in this forum for this program. Most likely 1st stage is to confirm if the student still interested and may be selection only by the Baylor UG committee and forward to Baylor SOM. Many feeder schools of NJMS also has the 2 stages. But at least they allow OOS to take a phone interview (and expect IS or nearby states to attend in person). But Baylor does not give that option. Also remember, there is some unusual thing with Baylor SOM. It is independent of Baylor UG though the name is the same. There was some post in pre-med threads exactly on that unique thing.

Thank GoldenRock for explaining Baylor2Baylor program processes. Based on my research, the first stage is called ā€œBaylor2 Medical Track Eventā€ (one was held on 11/3/2017; one will be held on 1/19/2018; based on the previous year information, each event will invite 120+ candidates), the second stag is the real interviewing one and it will invite around 20 ~ 25 students for pursuing 6 spots.

As GoldenRock said, it is very inconvenient processes (two stages) for OOS students and I also found Baylor2Baylor program might be preferred to IS candidates (based on IN and OOS student statistics comparisons). GoldenRock pointed out Balyor UG and SOM both have the same name but 2 different schools (Baylor UG is based on Waco while Baylor SOM is based on Houston)

Gook luck to all Baylor2Baylor candidates.

Hello BS/MD-ers! I just found this subsection on CC! I am applying to UCFā€™s BS/MD program and I was wondering if any if you guys are too! So far, Iā€™ve been ā€œendorsedā€ by the Burnett Honors College for the Burnett Medical Scholars Program; I was told by the BHC that everyone that is endorsed has moved on to be accepted. However, BMS only took 24 students last year, so Iā€™m trying not to get my hopes up. Iā€™m excited to embark on this journey with you guys!

@sewin2music, good to know you have been endorsed / recommended. Normally not too many will be endorsed for such selective programs and the fact you have been kinda assured of eventual acceptance, is a very good sign. 24 is a decent intake unlike ridiculously low figures at some of these programs and you should have a very decent chance. Just follow up through the remaining process smoothly, like interview etc, be well prepared, be yourself and try not to overdo to impress. Good luck!

Hello, where can I find the current list of colleges offering BSMD program and their respective rankings?Also, whatā€™s the recommended number of colleges that one should apply? Any thoughts on reach and safety schools (I understand that this is very subjective) but looking at this thread, most of the students have near perfect GPAā€™s, scores, ECā€™s. Thanks for your input.

I personally think the rankings donā€™t really matter for the 7 year / guaranteed programs, one should be happy getting into one or some or any of them. Like everything else, it is up to the student how he/she shapes his/her foundation and subsequent career in those 7 or 8 years more than the institution one attends. Also, there is no safety school for these programs. One may get into a school perceived as having absolutely no chance of getting in during the admission and interview process, and on other hand may not even get called for interview at where they may have thought as easier ones.

Donā€™t think there is any agency ranking these direct/accel. programs, there may be few rankings posted by few individuals here and there but they may be very subjective and not following any formal procedures.

However one can refer to the overall rankings of traditional med school programs published by various agencies. My personal preference is THE (times higher) since they have been doing it for close to a decade, clearly categorize the strengths of the programs across various measures and do it globally. Since Baylor Med School came into context recently, this is what they have to say about themselves. You can follow similar outlines of each of the schools you may be interested in to get a feel.

https://www.bcm.edu/about-us/mission-vision-values/awards

For 7 year med programs, do students get to do research? Or is the focus just on finishing as soon as possible with coursework?

It depends on the student, school and program. It is possible.

@impressivemediocrity, some of the schools that I am aware of that encourage the students to get involved in research as much as possible and as early as possible are RPI/Albany, Penn State / Jefferson, and BU. While still expecting them to take the required normal to slightly more than normal course load - many students come in with tonnes of AP credits - they also want to give them some free hand to divert their energies towards working with faculty on research. Perhaps that is one of the main reasons they have some what reduced expectations from the 7 year students, such as either not requiring MCAT for matriculation or lowered expected scores compared to their peers accepted through the traditional route.

Did any one get the supplement from AMC/RPI yet? Is it too early for that?

In order to be considered competitive for these BSMD programs, Iā€™ve heard that the Chem SAT is almost always recommended. But, if an applicant already has very strong scores in Bio-M and Math 2, will taking the Chem SAT really make that much of an impact?

@TheElusiveGod ā€œif an applicant already has very strong scores in Bio-M and Math 2, will taking the Chem SAT really make that much of an impact?ā€

If you want to apply NU HPME or BU Seven Year Liberal Arts / Medical Education Program then you have to take SAT Chemistry subject.
(An impact is from your competitors who provide very strong SAT Chemistry test scores while you donā€™t)

Yes, for those two programs (and any other that may specify Chemistry SAT) you need to take the SAT2 Chem test, even if you have a 5 in AP Chemistry itself. For some schools Chem is more important a consideration and priority than Bio and anything else.

comeToTheFAU

We got 2 BS/MD programs.