***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Hello all, I’m new to this forum and looking for any feedback on the new Rutgers/RJWS 4+4 program. My son has been accepted to this program and the letter of acceptance states that he would still need to complete the AMCAS application and multiple mini interviews in Junior year. There is no MCAT requirements. He hasn’t applied to any other combined programs, so we are not sure if these are standard requirements are not. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi All-
I’m new to the forum so pardon if this question was already discussed earlier. My son got accepted into
RPI/AMC and Hofstra 4+4 BS/MD. Need to decide between the two programs

I’m trying to understand which program will be better keeping in mind undergrad and med school experience.GPA requirements are almost same for both the school but Hofstra needs MCAT with 80 percentile. Is it hard to achieve this score in MCAT? Also, which college has better placement for residency?

Cost is not a concern since both are going to cost almost the same based on the scholarship received.

Any insights will be very helpful?

Thanks

@devmad is getting into Honors college a criteria for this program? Did you apply for it or is it by invitation?

@devmad what are his stats?

@MVparent what are his stats? How much scholarship did he get? I would say the RPI/AMC is overall a better program. Plus not having to take the MCAT is a big stress reliever.

@MVparent 80th percentile on MCAT is achievable.

@MVparent location is also another factor to consider

@devmad one of the advantages of the NJ combined programs is that you need not worry about the MCAT scores, though you have to take them.

@bsmddad72 Yes, via Honors College Program and was invited to apply; Stats: SAT: 1580; ACT 35; GPA 98/100, Full scholarship for 4 years.

@bsmddad72

Stats are below
UW GPA - 4.0
ACT Score - 35
Has 10 APs + additional credits for math & science from community college

All subject SAT - around 790 - 800
Lot of volunteering at hospital

We are from CA so weather wise both will be very different. He is leaning more towards Hofstra due to location close to NY city but is worried about stress for MCAT.

How is the program for AMC better than Hofstra? Any personal experience?

Thanks

Thanks. No direct personal experience. But have heard from others.

@bsmddad72 what is good about the RPI/AMC program? No ranking found anywhere

@MVparent

Both locations are not optimal. Albany is upstate NY, Hofstra SOM is located in Hempstead. With that said though, location shouldn’t be a large factor, since oftentimes the worse the location, the more diverse and varied clinical training you get.

Personally, I would tell your son to go where he thinks he fits best (Hofstra), especially since your family can afford it. Also, check out SDN for some not-so-great experiences at AMC. Besides Drexel SOM and Cal Northstate, I swear that Albany has to be one of the most bombed on medical schools (I don’t really know why though).

@devmad

wth are those requirements? If you don’t have a MCAT, and you get rejected from RWJMS, then where does that leave you? Even as a conditional program, these requirements seem over-excessively stringent. Most of these types of programs only have a formality interview (i.e. Temple PPHS), and don’t require a full-blown AMCAS app. If you have to do an actual MMI and compile a resume and LOR’s, I really see no reason to do this “fake” BS/MD

@MVparent - both RPI/AMC and Hofstra are great programs - I have friends who have been students and residents at both places. Overall, Hofstra is a fairly new school but has a slightly better reputation than AMC (better residency match list in my opinion and students who are accepted to medical school from college have a higher GPA/MCAT than students at AMC). Hofstra is also just 30 miles from NYC which isn’t bad in terms of location overall.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice, but absolutely makes sense to pick Hofstra if the financial picture is similar and your son is already leaning towards it!

Only advantage for RPI/AMC is that RPI is a stronger undergrad school - but that ultimately matters much less than the other factors (personal fit, location, cost, reputation of medical school, etc)

@MVparent - Given the stats MCAT 80 percentile shouldn’t be a concern.

@GreenPoison Thanks for your feedback! The letter states that AMCAS needs to be submitted under early assurance program, not sure if that clarifies it. I will also follow up with the school to get better understanding of the requirements.

@devmad

Ask their office about the difference between this 8 year medical program and the RWJMS early assurance program. I have friends in the latter, and they told me its extremely competitive to get in and the interview is very tough. Also ask whether or not the 8 year program is binding

Hey is anyone attending VCU for GMED? I was hoping there’d be some group chat or Facebook group but couldn’t find any.

is there a facebook group for kids who will be attending Union/AMC? I see that past classes had one

DC was wait listed at Baylor College of Medicine. Sincere request to decline your BS MD Acceptances, if you are going elsewhere. Thanks!