***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

@GoldenRock Do you know any Canadian students who have gotten accepted into these programs and perhaps provide me their contacts by sending me an email so I could ask them about the process! Thank you so much

I have been debating between Drexel BS/MD (8 years) and Wilkes Medical Scholar Program at Florida Atlantic University (7 years). Drexel would cost me about $550K in 8 years after scholarship. FAU will cost me about $300K in 7 years after scholarship. I liked FAU campus and the program better than Drexel. I just enrolled at FAU. Hopefully, I made the right decision.

@sunflower2000 I think you have made the right decision. My son also decided on FAU’s bsmd after much research and analysis.

I would suggest reading the following link for info regarding Florida’s BSMD programs FCU and FAU:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-central-florida/2025744-burnett-medical-scholars.html#latest. GL.

Would anyone recommend going the traditional path debt free at TCNJ or full pay at UCLA over RowanSOM’s BS/DO 7 year program? I honestly dislike Rowan’s campus and the environment. The process has been very unorganized as they’ve rejected and accepted me several times. They’re also are asking for a “satisfactory interview” after 3 years of undergrad, a 3.6 overall GPA, and the program is binding.
Any insight would be appreciated as I have to choose tomorrow! :smiley:

@EmZoWe. I have lived close to all these three and have visited all of them. I am assuming you are from New Jersey. I would recommend against UCLA. It is a very competitive school for undergraduate and getting a good GPA will be hard. California is not a good place to be in for medical school admission. I do not find much difference between TCNJ and Rowan in terms of education you will receive there. I have visited Rowan and took a class there many years ago. I actually kind of liked the campus. Of course it is nothing like large schools like UCLA or even Rutgers. I am assuming that you will be following traditional route at TCNJ. If that is indeed the case I will prefer Rowan over it. Although it is a binding program you can always quit the program and do a regular undergraduate and apply to another medical school. No one can stop you from doing that. For example if you get all A’s during first two years you can opt to withdraw from the program and do regular undergraduate. However a guarantee will be really helpful if your grades are less than stellar during undergraduate. Applying to medical school using traditional route is very stressful and odds of getting in are becoming harder every year. Even a 3.9 GPA may not get you admission in medical school. Also typically you spend an extra year after undergraduate to pay and go for interviews. That means going to Rowan you will essentially save you two years.

@NatieB. I know SLU medical scholars program accepts international students. Here is an old thread where a Canadian got admission there.
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/901494-help-slu-med-scholars-or-ucl-medical-school.html

@EmZoWe go with traditional route and you can always apply for DO after you graduate from college. DO admission is not as competitive as that of MD anyway.

Hello everyone

I just wanted to ask if anyone on the Sophie Davis waitlist received any news?

I also wanted to ask if anyone who was accepted to Sophie Davis decide to go to another college/program?

Thanks @bsmdmom18. I am still debating between Med Direct at Boca Raton and Wilkes Medical Scholar at Jupiter.

@EmZowe,

Yeah, I think you should take UCLA out of picture if you are bent on going to medicine. You didn’t mention whether you got any scholarship for undergrad at Rowan as you seem to have in TCNJ. That can be a factor too.

Sure, getting into DO traditional route is perhaps lot easier, and the difference between MD and DO seem to be shrinking quickly when it comes to residency matches, as per previous posts in this forum (you may want to try a quick search here). However, the number of schools offering DO are far fewer and some of these schools charge sky high prices for out of state students. For example Michigan State. Whereas with Rowan I think you will be guaranteed the instate fee (though not that low either). You may want to compare the fees of Rowan DO program with some of the competitors like Nova South Eastern, Toro NYIT, etc. (By the way couple of D’s high school batch mates chose to go to direct DO programs at Nova South Eastern and NYIT last year).So some of the things you may have to factor in today.

All the best with your decision making.

@EmZoWe

Since it’s binding, I would recommend you go the traditional route.

DO schools aren’t particularly hard to get into the regular way, and it really isn’t worth sacrificing the chance of getting a MD for a faux-guaranteed DO acceptance. Especially considering that DO’s still suffer from prestige issues, and the merger will only hurt DO chances in competitive specialities.

I really don’t get the purpose of making you interview once again- you already interviewed at the SOM, and passed right? It’s just another uncertain variable that would make me extra leery about joining such a program.

It’s HPME for my daughter.

Good luck to all waitlisted on Penn/Jeff, Stonybrook, Drexel and Carnegie Mellon- CompScience.

My Daughter committed to NU HPME as well. Good Luck everyone, it has been a wonderful journey so far.

Can anyone help me decide if the program at UCF is a good one to consider or not? One of my friend’s son got accepted and when I looked into the details it didnt seem like a guaranteed program to me unless I am missing something? Thanks everyone.

@2FutureBSMDsMom

I know other people on this board have already chosen it.

I was planning on applying, but the high matriculation reqs. and only guarantee of a med school interview turned me off.

After 5/1 big decision day, please post your decision and stat in the 2018 result thread.

Any people from the Sophie Davis waiting list?

Between BU, OU, FAU, Augusta and Mercer BS MD, my son has decided to attend BU SMED program

My son commited to wilkes honors program at FAU for the 7 year med program

@EmZoWe

I just want to inform you that one of our patient with GPA of 3.3 from top 100 university and MCAT of 37 (Lizzy score of 70) received zero MD interview invite and one DO waiting list. No acceptances to MD nor DO schools this cycle.