***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Thank you so much! I’m from Texas.

@Indivisible not sure if it is too late or you are not keen. Rice/Baylor, CWRU ?

I was initially thinking about Rice/Baylor, but I heard that Rice/Baylor doesn’t like it when their applicants also apply to Baylor/Baylor, and vice versa.

Has anyone heard from Penn State or any updates on Penn State portal ?

@Indivisible - I would recommend you taking traditional path since TX has so many med schools and they are cheap. Most combined programs are very expensive.

@Indivisible, you realize that some of these programs you applied for are of 8 years duration right? Regardless of how many AP courses you may have had with perfect scores, you won’t get credit for them. Something you may want to consider.

St. Bonaventure/GW is my top choice and I have yet to hear anything but was told interview notifications would begin in “early to mid December.” I applied about 2 months ago. Has anybody else heard back yet?

That is not completely true. It depends on the program and also depends on the students preference. Many schools will give credit for AP courses against some of their courses and it may enable to graduate early if student prefers. For MD admission, it is expected that you do higher level course(s) if AP course satisfies a pre-req course. But that should be reflected in the college grade report.

I mentioned SOME of the programs, perhaps half or even more of the programs listed in that post, and they don’t allow to finish undergrad portion before 4 years. So better get it clarified before deciding.

What is the use of doing higher level courses for a med student in say math or physics after he or she has got enough AP credits and solid necessary foundation already? For example how is doing differential equations and quantum mechanics going to help in their career? Instead of making them do courses to fill the 4 year mandatory undergrad period, it would be great if they are allowed to graduate early so can spend the year saved on something relevant to their interest and applicability.

Just curious if any applicants have started preparing for interviews at the medical schools as part of their BS/MD apps? My DC said several applicants at school are already doing mock interviews etc …

has anyone received any response for an interview from penn state/jefferson?
This is my top program and I have been freaking out as I really just want to make it to interviews at least, I am just hoping that they give me a shot and I have worrying myself to over and over again for whether they decided to offer me an interview or not.

@Ronypony my DD received a notification for an alumni interview for Schreyer Honors College, not sure if it means anything in the grand scheme of things.

The irony lol- didn’t get past the first round for SBU/GW but got my application forwarded to AMC from Union. Guess the Union/AMC program only has one interview, for the medical school?

My DD got rejection letter from SBU/GW.
She got admission letter from VCU

Additionally, the pennstate/jefferson program has been my dream ever since I found out about it, but I was wondering if my 33 ACT will be good enough (I got a 35 in science, 34 in math, 33 in reading, and a 28 in grammar), as well as over 200 hours at the hospital (ER, transport, nursing support, and rounding). As well as 300 additional hours from volunteering in blood drives, races, and community service projects (like helping at the opportunity house, humane society, and even making a butterfly garden). I also have taken a current 11 APs (including chemistry and biology), and my rank is 8/512, I am also captain of the Varsity Cross County , run indoor track, and play varsity tennis (we went to states last year). I have other extracurricular as well, but what I am worried about is my act score, I through my experiences at the hospital have learned that I want to become a physician and I really want to make it to interviews, I tried to convey this through my essays, but in reality what will the act score cost me? I know it is on the lower end of those who apply.

I think you’re in good shape academically, since UP is so gpa driven. Plus, your EC’s are great! Don’t worry; I know easier said than done. Many are in similar situations, my DD included. @Ronypony

Is is for VCU undergrad or BS MD[interview]?

All I know is my DD got VCU admit, and counselor said they’re reviewing Bsmd apps.

VCU undergrad only

My DS got SBU/GW interview invitation on 12/07. Today, received Union email indicating his application has been forwarded to AMC.