***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Congrats! Is your DS applying for Siena or RPI too? @takeiteasynow ?

Union only. Not the other feeding schools.

DD received the Union e-mail saying they were forwarding to AMC. Also received admission and a Presidential scholarship. We were thrilled!

Did any one get Supplement from RPI yet?

@rbmed18 We have not heard anything from RPI yet.

Hello, What is the best way/source to know all the universities offering BSMD program? I heard that UofM is now offering it too, perhaps limited to MN residents. This request might appear little weird as most of you are talking about the interview process. I have a junior at home (S19); hence asking. Thanks!

@ TulipBox when did your DD apply?

DC applied to RPI before Nov 1st, haven’t heard anything yet…

@m22499 I’m pretty sure she applied to both in October and I think she applied to both around the same time. It might have been around mid-October.

@techhv RPI/AMC (and Union) can be a very long process. Their interview selection is rolling. Some candidates get interviews early, but some don’t get called until much later (ie mid-late March). Everyone has to submit their application by 11/1, but the time to when a candidate may get selected for an interview varies greatly. They look to interview about 80 candidates for the RPI/AMC program (at least that is what they did prior to 2016 cycle) and 80 for Union/AMC.

@RedMan108 see link in post #192.

University of Minnesota BA/MD Joint Admission Scholars Program looks like it is only for MN residents. Reading some of the requirements, Just reading about it quickly I am not sure if this is a gauranteed program, you may want to check with them directly, since they are not specific on MCAT score and some other prerequisites.

Thank you @Empire007 , Even I was not expecting anything sooner, postings about Union made me nervous :)…

@Empire007 Thank you!
I looked at the list and it’s pretty long and overwhelming with most of the schools open to everyone (not limited to state residents etc.). Given that most of the BSMD programs are highly competitive and barring few top-tier colleges, most of them fall under the similar category, I wonder how one shortlists where to apply. Looks like a pretty tedious process.

@RedMan108 There are many factors that go into making that decision.

1. cost (sometimes instate applicants get cheaper tuition, ie Penn State, UConn)
  2. Quality and facilities available, areas of expertise of the medical school.
  3. Location (urban or rural)
  4. accelerated or 4 +4
  5. stats of the candidate

These are just to name a few, you have plenty of time to think about it so I’m sure as you do your research you will find more.

what was here stats? did she apply to VCU GMED ?

Do you guys know if we hear back from Drexel today about the early assurance program?

All that’s on the portal is early action notification is Dec, 15 @nerdalert18

Yeah, that’s all I see, so I’m not sure if I should expect something today. Do you think they’ll give decisions for EAP applications in terms of their second choice major or something like that?

@ppst

Adcoms work in mysterious ways; will check on Friday!