***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

It sometimes makes no sense what they’re looking for, but your DD’s stats are super competitive @thishappens If you don’t mind my asking, is she applying to other bsmd’s, because they may value more clinical Med EC’s as opposed to research and such?

@thishappens…I’m sorry to hear… your daughters stats are impressive and there will be a great school and program waiting for her.

We are still waiting for email or letter from UAB. Have you received a letter or emails?

@thishappens, your DD has some awesome stats! I know a friend’s son got rejected pre-interview by UAB, but later was accepted into other top programs like Brown and NU icouple years ago.

Rejected from UAB EMSAP this morning pre-interview. My stats are below (admittedly I have a very low GPA).

3.7 UW/4.2 W GPA, 35 ACT, 1590 SAT, NMSF, 80 hours shadowing, 100 hours hospital volunteering, published an article, 2 research intern positions at UT Austin, some minor science fair awards

Thank you all for kind words.

@curry18, we received email this morning.

@ppst, She applied to (in addition to UAB)
UMKC (6 year program), REMS, Case’s PPSP, Rice/Baylor, BU (7 year program). Brown (PLME), Oklahoma MHSP, and U Pitt GAP.

She applied to combined programs knowing that it’s a crap shoot with any of these programs. Glad waiting for one decision is over, others to go.

She’s going to do well at these, because maybe their focus is on her type of application and candidacy @thishappens!!

I keep telling my DD that an interview rejection means missing fewer days of school and focusing on the ones still in the running

@tripledouble2000, as @ppst said, I wonder what any of these programs are looking for. You seem to have invested lot of time in a spectrum of activities looking at the ECs. Hope you have applied to other BS/MD/Combined programs at other universities.

Rejected pre-interview for UAB EMSAP
4.0 UW/4.8W GPA (there is a GPA cap at 4.8), 34 ACT, 1540 SAT, NMSF, Harvard Club, OOS
735 hours hospital and hospice volunteering, 175 hours internal medicine and oncologist shadowing, 75 hours brain cancer research, CPR/AED certified, on track to get my EMT

This really hurts because my first two notifications have been a rejection from EMSAP and Cincinnati’s DAP. Hopefully a few positives from here on out!

I got rejected from Siena but…

I got accepted to BU!! They notified me earlier this week.

@hopefull2k18

BU undergrad or SMED?

Did you have the interview yet?

SMED and no, the interviews dates are in late jan and early feb

@hopefull2k18

I thought you had to pass the interview first, before getting into the SMED program?

@hopefull2k18 and any other BU interview invitees, did they call your home phone or cell?

@GreenPoison yes of course i have to pass the interview first, i just meant that i got accepted through to the next step, the interview step

@cashlover16 i think it was just the number i provided them w on the app? i just gave them my home

if anyone knows how many students are accepted to the interview stage and how many are accepted into the program, lmk please. if i remember correctly, it was about 20-25 that get in at the end?

Is it worth the opportunity to interview even if you’re truly unsure of your chances? I feel the adcom may have liked something about you and you have as good a chance as the other interviewees. Thoughts?

I see where you’re coming from, especially with the costs that come with travelling and missing out on school. But honestly, I am so passionate about a career in medicine and BU’s program is one of my top choices that I think it will be worth it. I think at this point, they’re just trying to confirm that you’re a personable candidate and can back up all the claims you made in your app. From what I’ve heard, the interviews are basically the profs and doctors getting a feel for what kind of doctor you’ll become by giving you scenarios, asking you personal questions, and of course, confirming that medicine is right for you.

and also, for anyone that got an interview anywhere, we already beat crazy odds so if money and time isn’t an issue, going to that interview can only benefit you. You get another opportunity to separate yourself from everyone else that separated themselves. From that standpoint, I think it’s worth it.

Has anyone received supplement or interview invite from RPI in the last 2 weeks?
Is there anyone here who submitted Union supplement, who has also applied to RPI and still waiting to hear from Union?
I have read here at CC that RPI usually takes a while to get back and the AMC programs take their time, but just wondering out of curiosity.

Rejected today by UAB EMSAP. For those of you who got an interview, congratulations! For those who didn’t, its okay. There will be other programs that will want to interview you!