***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

@ADMission18 How do you know the interview notice is set for tomorrow?

@remroll i asked for two letters - one from science teacher and one from my english teacher; i think having different letters shows your ability to learn in different environments to a sense and your variety in passions

Funny update from Temple. I guess folks thought and probably called thinking yesterdays email from Temple meant they are invited for interview.

“IMPORTANT FOLLOWUP: Temple University Pre-Med Health Scholars Program”
“This email is a follow up to our email sent yesterday morning. We wanted to clarify that not all applicants for the Health Scholars Program will be invited to interview on February 20th. After Temple University has reviewed all applications, you will be notified via email whether or not you have been selected for an in person interview (which will take place on February 16, 2018).
We wanted to be sure to provide you with this very important information.
We thank you again for your interest in Temple University’s Pre-Med Health Scholars Program. We will be in touch with you shortly.”

@remroll, @bluemonkey66, if you were involved in out of the school activities like research programs, volunteer work I think you will have an option to include letters from those recommenders too which will enhance your profile

Invite for Penn state BSMD program came to me today!

Any new BU interview calls came in this week?

Congrats, @Katyperry145!! Are you IS or OOS? Out of curiosity, when is the date? Thanks for info; everyone’s trying to figure out schedules and logistics

@ppst I’m OOS and the date is feb 14th.

@Katyperry145 , congrats! was notification by email, portal, phone or mail? Thanks.

A lot of the colleges’ admissions processes were affected by holiday break and the storm, which delayed notifications. Some may have been ready to go beforehand and some are only now being processed. Patience is most definitely a virtue.

@remroll I highly recommend getting one teacher recommendation from a science teacher who knows you well, preferably from junior year. Start planning that out early on. We had some issues with my daughter’s application as some programs insist on a science teacher letter of recommendation and her favorite physics teacher who was to write her letter was diagnosed with a malignancy end of junior year and passed away that summer. Her freshman year science teacher moved across the country and sophomore year teacher retired after that year. Guidance counselor said,” no worries, it’s no big deal, just ask the comp science teacher.” As her senior year science teacher had just started working at the school, my daughter preferred to ask someone who has known her longer, so she asked comp sci teacher. But the bsmd program said they will not process application without the science teacher LOR. And just to make the situation even more weird, her senior year science teacher had pneumonia and was on sick leave from school the week before the deadline. I know it sounds like an unreal scenario, but it’s true. In the end her guidance counselor called the program and asked them to accept her science research mentor’s (from outside school) letter instead. So the moral of this too long story is- just get a science teacher LOR. Just do it. The kids who apply for bsmd are great at science and should have at least one science teacher who thinks highly of them. So it is safer to always have one science teacher letter in my opinion.

@remroll - Also, the number of LOR’s they ask vary by the program. Most programs ask for 2-5 teacher LORs. So asking 2-3 teachers ( in addition to guidance counselor recommendation) including a science teacher will give you enough options. Then there is the second category of LORs from outside school, ( physician mentor, research mentor, sports coach, volunteer coordinator etc). Again, based on program the number required varies, but it is good to have 2-4 letters so you can pick which ones to send based on the program.

I was invited to an interview for VCU GMED! Found out at 1:30 PM PST via email. Interview dates are February 14, 15, 27, 28 all day.

That is awesome, @FinesseKing! Anyone know how many applied? My nephew applied with 32 ACT and lots of volunteering; he got his too!! I think the key for VCU is healthcare hours volunteered and great stats!!

Congrats… do you mind sharing you stats

Drexel status changed to “Your application for the BA/BS + MD (Medicine) program has been forwarded to the Drexel University College of Medicine for review”, but no email came any fee, is this normal?

I got that too on my portal with no fee email

DD got invited to an interview for VCU GMED! The notification email came today.

I’ve been floating around BS/MD threads for awhile, but this is my first time commenting. Just got my interview notification for BU’s SMED just half an hour ago! Really excited to be flying over for the next stage.

One of our friend’s DC just got an invite for VCU as well!!! Looks like VCU changed the interview format this year. With their interview format, I reckon it’s likely going to be more challenging.