***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

@ADMission18 Before you say “one of your letters need to be from a science teacher is nonsense”, do you know the requirements of All the BSMD programs in the US. @remroll might want to apply to those my daughter applied to and he/she might be stuck if they insist on it and he/she doesn’t have one, just like we were. Also, it is better to have multiple options for LORs so we can Choose which one to give to which program. I’ve no doubt my daughters lors were all excellent, but yes, we should not to get one from someone who doesn’t think well of you, That is just common sense. LORs will not hurt our app unless we choose unwisely. It’s always better to have a science teacher letter as a backup in case a program insists on it, that was my advice. We have plenty of letters and we chose which one to give based on the program. No need to insult someone else’s advice while giving yours.

@TTV2018 @ADMission18 - Some of the BSMD programs require you to send a LOR from Science teacher… Your application will be rejected if you do not get a reco from science teacher for those programs. Review the requirements carefully

@FinesseKing, very well said. In you case you may actually have an advantage because of geographical diversity (guessing from your Harvard Club of Nevada association). Also folks may or may not be willing to share their stats yet, because they are still in the running and may not want to give away too many of their details. But folks and parents, please do share your stats at the end of this admission cycle by June or so at the latest. I did the same for the last cycle on behalf of D.

@bsmd1826 Yes, that’s what I said. Thank you.

Those who submitted Union/AMC supplements on Dec 27th, have you heard back from AMC?

No, have not heard from AMC yet.

No luck for me so far, rejection to UAB, SBU, and Uconn. My Drexel is showing the following:
Thank you for your application. Your file is currently complete and under review. A decision has not yet been made on your application to Drexel University. If additional materials are required before an admission decision can be rendered, we will contact you.

Your application for the BA/BS + MD (Medicine) program has been forwarded to the Drexel University College of Medicine for review.

@m22499 , we haven’t heard back yet. We are also waiting for next steps on RPI/ amc (pre supplement).

Does anyone know when case western PPSP interview notifications get sent out? Thanks!

Also, @suecollege i was notified by email for PSU PMM.

@Curry18 When did you hear back from UConn? did they send you email?

@Katyperry145 Most Likely Saturday 01/27. They sent out notifications on last Sat of Jan last year.

@Curry18 How and when did UCONN and UAB notified you? email?

@FinesseKing, regarding Cincinnati, you are most likely out of state. When we were researching about it to decide whether or not to pursue it for D, I think remember seeing some post somewhere that their intake was 8 or so in the year prior or before, of whom 7 were instate students. So we dropped it from our list.
Similar considerations led us to narrow to a handful where there were fair enough chances of getting in (decent intake and no OOS restrictions) and then surviving without being worn out or dropping out entirely due to attrition - having too high a bar in terms of GPA and MCAT - and having a decent enjoyable undergrad student life.

Also, doesn’t Nevada have accelerated or direct med programs for In State students only? It may be a breeze for you if so.

@ADMission18 I have no wish to argue this out with you. As someone who has already gone through medical school and currently have sick ICU patients to take care of, I will Not sweat the small stuff.

Folks, please refrain from using strong words, totally unwarranted.

Yea, when did Uconn come out?

You all are so helpful and supportive to those who get in and those who don’t but are continuing on in the process. Thank you so much for your advice, encouragement, and for being willing to share your experience, @rk2017, @TTV2018, and @ADMission18 .The kids and parents on this thread truly appreciate it!!

Does anyone have advice for a prospective sophomore? I have research, volunteering, and shadowing experience. However, what should I focus on the most? Also, how important are non-medical extracurriculars?

Anyone get a rejection from Drexel or Penn State yet? From what I understand they have only sent out emails for interviews. However, they said they will be moving forward with the applications by the end of this week if not then the end of the month.