***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

I’m thinking it is a rolling process for PSU. There are kiddos with lower stats but other wonderful activities and accomplishments to recommend them, who’ve already been forwarded to Sydney Kimmel and have invites already. For others, some with higher stats and just as wonderful with no change in the portal, perhaps they applied too late in the game since interviews seem to be around Valentine’s Day. I suppose we could just call and pull off the band-aid quickly to move on to the next decision. Suggestions? I’m assuming the worst until official notification by the 31st.

@Hello18med my DD received acceptance for Montclair’s undergrad but no news about the BSMD.

@RLeenm personally, no

If I wanted to call Penn State just to find out if they are done with sending the interview invites, or where they are in the process, what number can I use?

If you did not get interviewed from TCNJ and Rutgers, does that means your application was not forwarded to NJMS and you are out of contention?

Did you get a phone interview with TCNJ/Rutgers?

@Ronypony , there’s no number on the email but Dr. Markle seems to be the director of the program. tel:(814) 865-7620.

@starship, DS received email from tcnj today rejecting him for an interview. If you didn’t get this email, you may still get an interview (I would think).

@Ronypony The phone number to psu admissions is on the portal after you log in.

Anybody willing to take the fall and call penn state about whether another batch of interviews is going to come out or not?

Worried, since a huge amount of interviews already occurred back in mid-December.

So are we supposed to bring a parent with us to these interviews? I am from California so I will have to fly and book hotels for all the interviews.

@Rghanem No programs expects parents involvement. If you are capable to fly on your own and book cars and drive to different locations on new places then you don’t need. But reality many students may not be in such a situation and hence one of your parent need to come with you. CA is one of the few worst states to apply for BS/MD since most of the programs are in east coast and with the time difference you may have to take 2-3 days from school and need to book in the last minutes and it is expensive.

@ppst I have given up on Penn State. BSMD part was not rolling admissions (from what I know)

@GoldenRock Ye its going to be very expensive for me unfortunately. Are most people here going alone?

@Rghanem you have to be at least 18 to be able to check into a hotel room and you have to be at least 25 to rent a car. So unless you have relatives or friends in the cities you are interviewing at you would need someone over the age of 25 with you to provide you the ability to have a place to stay and transportation. Travel can be eased if your interview is in an urban area with public transportation readily available.

These days with the AirBnB maybe you don’t need to be 18 to have a place to stay but I don’t know much about their rules.

Another reason to bring a parent is most likely you may have time to visit the undergrad school either before or after your interview. (Unless it is a school like Penn State cause it is a 2.5 hour drive between University Park and Philadelphia). This is important because unless you have other means, the parent (or whoever is paying for your education) can speak with the finiancial aid office to get an idea of true costs and if there is a potential for merit or need based aid depending on your situation.

@Rghanem We are in a similar situation from CA and I travel with my DD for interviews. No other choice. It will be time and money well invested.

TCNJ has sent out rejection letters already.

@kfog I am feeling the same way regarding PSU, though the last time I called the admission’s office they mentioned that application is still under review and they will be notifying till end of this month. I don’t even know if that even means anything.

Received Drexel email for $100. did someone else received it today? Anyone knows of all the applications forwarded to Drexel Medical School get this email or only selected?

Those who applied to both Union and RPI, did you get interviews for both? Does RPI forward all applications to AMC? I knew that AMC shares a list of people who applied to more than one feeder school with all their feeder schools. Will it make sense to withdraw one application to save the other?

For people considering flying alone for interviews Uber and Lyft may provide relief of transportation needs (download the apps on phones if you don’t have them yet). But not sure of minimum age limits for hotel checking in. Does it depend on the state(s) or some universal age limit? something you may have to enquire. Also it makes sense to coordinate with any other interviewees with same dates from your city or nearby if possible and plan together so you can split the costs.