***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Congrats, @kfog!!

@RedMan108 I received an interview invite from Siena/AMC, USciences, and I had a phone interview with Rutgers.
Here are my stats:
1420 SAT
3.85 UW
4.45 W
4s and 5s on APs

I have a lot of shadowing and internship hours. I am also deeply involved in community service organizations and I have a lot of hours dedicated to them. My essays were based around my love for community service. I probably got the invite from Siena because they are service oriented and that’s what they are looking for. I was denied from Union/AMC, UMKC, and VCU. If you want more info let me know!

Anyone has more insight about Temple Health Scholar. It looks like it is not a guaranteed admission. They nominate you in the junior year based on your GPA and health related activities, then you need to apply to med school. If nominated, you get an interview from med school. If selected in the interview, then you need to maintain GPA and MCAT requirements. Anyone knows more about this program and any tips for the interview.

https://medicine.temple.edu/education/md-program/how-apply/special-admissions-program

@cd2030 For Temple PPHS http://www.temple.edu/healthadvising/healthscholars.html
From what I have heard, the acceptance to Med school is ~ 100%. The MCAT score requirement is very low (60th percentile)

Provisional Acceptance
The Pre-Med Health Scholar program allows for provisional acceptance to Temple University School of Medicine on a standard (4+4) track. Accepted scholars have the option to request consideration for an accelerated (3+4) track during their first semester at Temple University. For admission to Temple University School of Medicine, Health Scholars must meet the following minimum requirements by January of their Junior year of college:

Course credits as detailed under the agreement
A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.6
A cumulative undergraduate science GPA of 3.6
MCAT minimum composite score of 508 with no section less than 126
Volunteer exposure to the health care professions, community service, and research
Accelerated 3+4 Selection Requirements
Must be accepted as a Pre-Med Health Scholar
3+4 Application submitted during first semester at Temple University
Final decision made after review of first semester grades

Does this program guarantee entry to Temple University Lewis Katz School of Medicine (LKSOM)?
The Pre-Med Health Scholar Program provides provisional, not guaranteed, acceptance to LKSOM. Accepted health scholars must still maintain their academic profile, take the MCAT exam, and submit a special application to the medical school during their Junior year of college. Students must have a 3.5 GPA (overall and math/science) at their time of presentation and score 75th percentile overall on the MCAT with no specific section less than a 60th percentile.

@bsmd1826, below is from their LKSOM website. I am confused, whether it is similar to SLU (i believe SLU atleast guarantee an interview with med school). Let me know what you make out of this.

https://medicine.temple.edu/education/md-program/how-apply/special-admissions-program

Health Scholars Program
The Health Scholars Program at Temple University is available to exceptionally qualified high school seniors with a demonstrated interest in their professional field. Students interested in the Health Scholars Program will complete an undergraduate application to Temple University, submit a Scholars Program application and participate in an interview day at the undergraduate campus. Students who have a high school GPA of 3.8 or higher, a minimum SAT score of 1350 (or ACT of 32), demonstrated commitment to volunteer or service activities, and health care related experiences are encouraged to apply.

Scholars are eligible to be granted early, conditional acceptance to Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University. To be nominated, students must have at least a 3.5 overall and science GPA at the end of their junior year of college, a strong commitment to service as demonstrated by extensive community and health care experiences, and demonstrated leadership potential. Those who meet the undergraduate requirements of the program will be nominated for consideration during their junior year at Temple and those selected to interview will meet with a member of the Admissions Committee.

The Admissions Committee will offer conditional acceptances to selected students. Students offered a conditional acceptance need to sit for the MCAT exam by the end of May. After a review of the transcript at the end of the junior year and MCAT scores, students who have been conditionally accepted and meet the requirements of the agreement will receive an acceptance for the class that matriculates the following August. Conditionally accepted Health Scholars students will complete an AMCAS application by August 1st after the junior year, indicating a restricted application type of “Combined Bachelors/Medical Degree.”

REjecteeeeddddd

REjecteeeeddddd

from where?

Does anyone have a good set of questions that parents can ask while the students are interviewing? I know I have questions that I would ask of the med school, but I wanted to know if there are questions I may be missing (because I haven’t thought about a particular issue).

Has anyone here applied to Michigan State University’s Osteopathic Medical Scholars program?

anyone heard from Upitt, Rice/Baylor, WashU, NWU?

northwestern and upitt should be out by mid-february but haven’t heard anything from them

From what I’ve gathered on these boards, Drexel, Hofstra, Northwestern, UPitt should be within a few weeks, and Wash U, SLU later, and RB, being the latest. All the while, AMC interviews are ongoing through March end. Please feel free to correct if I’ve misunderstood.

Did anyone apply to stony brook?

We did. Haven’t heard anything.
What is RB?

Does anyone have any idea of what the chances are some one is waitlisted at UMKC?

is getting into Northwestern’s HPME easier than CWRU’s PPSP?

Applied to Stony Brook. Have not heard about BA/MD program. But did receive UG admission yesterday. @2018applicantmom

Rice/Baylor notification comes out after the undergrad decision @cd2030

@bsmdstudent101 Northwestern’s HPME program is arguably the best BS/MD program offered to high school students, guaranteeing admission to both a strong undergraduate education and one of the best medical schools in America. Admission to HPME is most competitive, along with Pitt GAP, CWRU PPSP, WashU Med Scholars and Brown PLME. As each program is looking for something different, one is not necessarily “easier” to get in than the other. However, due to the strict initial program requirements, HPME does have a better quality applicant pool, perhaps making it more difficult to get in than PPSP.