***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

@cd2030 Temple PPHS is NOT a guaranteed program for BS/MD. The requirements are as shown on PPHS website.

Course credits as detailed under the agreement
A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.6
A cumulative undergraduate science GPA of 3.6
MCAT minimum composite score of 508 with no section less than 126
Volunteer exposure to the healthcare professions, community service, and research
Accelerated 3+4 Selection Requirements
Must be accepted as a Pre-Med Health Scholar
3+4 Application submitted during first semester at Temple University
Final decision made after review of first semester grades.

My DD is a first-year PPHS Health Scholar (4+4) track. She did not opt for (3+4) track at the end of the first semester (GPA 4.0) because of the concern about taking MCAT early to meet (3+4) deadline.

@cd2030 FYI, Even guaranteed BS/MD have a minimum GPA and MCAT score requirements for matriculating to MD portion. There is NO free ride.

Has anyone heard back from NJIT? I have no idea if they forwarded my application to NJMS or not and itā€™s stressing me outā€¦

@violetvalley Call NJIT and ask what happened to your application? That is the only way to find out.

What do you guys think about the CNSU BS/MD program? It hasnā€™t really come up that much in this forum just wanted to see what itā€™s all about and if anyone had any info on it.

Donā€™t do itā€¦ look at past threads to see why CNSU and their medical school has such a bad reputation

Brown alumni interviews under way. Anybody get Northwestern alumni interview request for UG yet

I donā€™t think everybody has received notification of Brown alumni interviews. Does Northwestern HPME do alumni interviews? I though Northwestern just selects for on site interview. Thanks

I understand the concerns with the Temple program, but I am with @grtd2010. All programs have a minimum science and total GPAā€™s. Some require MCAT, some donā€™t. Those that want the MCAT have a cutoff #. Some want the student to interview with the SOM, others donā€™t. In my opinion, yes, you need to fulfill those requirements to make it to the SOM, but you would have had to do that anyway in the traditional route (with no guarantee of success). At least, in these programs, if you fulfill the requirements, you have a seat in their School of Medicine.

@bsmd, @Docparent, my DS has done the Northwestern alumni UG interview. HPME has a separate interview that, I believe, is on campus. He has also completed the Brown alumni interview, but my understanding is that Brown tries to offer an interview to everyone.

@moodybluepapaya With Temple, you will most likely have a full-tuition scholarship to go with Health Scholar since you would be one of the strongest candidates in the pool of applicants. That beats Northwestern HPME for me with hefty UG tuition bill. At the medical school level, Northwestern UG or Ivies UG does not matter. Once you are an M.D., who cares.

@grtd2010 and others, do you know if residencies care where you go to medical school? Unfortunately, I have been rejected from some of the more prestigious BS-MD programs but I have been offered seats at lower-tier BS-MD medical schools. What would my chances be of matching into a competitive speciality if I come from a lower-tier med school? Should I reject my BS-MD offers and apply for competitive medical schools the traditional way? I really hope this didnā€™t come off as mean. I really appreciate the BS-MD offers I was given, but please let me know what you think.

Has anyone heard back from SD?

@grtd2010 Can you share your insight on Temple

1. Do every student who fulfills GPA and MCAT requirements get a chance for interview at the end of 3rd year or only some will get? Have they published any stats on this step?
  2. Do every student who gets interview at end of 3rd year get admission or there are some who gets rejected? Have they published any stats on this step?

@GoldenRock Last year, we were told in presentation and Q&A, it is 100% to Medical School for those who met their contractual obligations. You sign a contract when you start the program.Those attending this year should ask this again and report back.We met someone who needed two tries to meet the MCAT requirements (minimum total MCAT score and minimum individual section score of 126 ).

@FinesseKing My understanding is that USMLE is the critical component for residency programs, especially the competitive ones.

IMHO, if you meet the minimum requirements of UG GPA and MCAT, you are shoe-in the program medical school, that is the guaranteed BS/MD program; but if you are only guaranteed the medical school interview, that is not the guarantee we all understand. Normally, medical school interviewees have only 1/4 to 1/2 chance to acceptance.

@dadofd Absolutely, there is no guarantee that medical school interviewer will give you preference as a Temple PPHS candidate but you are applying in a restricted category as ā€œCombined BS/MDā€. The bars are generally lower than a general candidates pool. One will have a better chance than a general applicants pool. Anyway, you will know at the end of the third year, the conditional decision from the medical school. The number of candidates presented to the medical school as a cohort under the restricted category is very small (approximately 4-6 every year at Temple).

@FinesseKing There is a general consensus that medical school prestige plays a role in residency matching, but with varying significance. If you are thinking of going into academic medicine, it certainly matters, where as in strictly primary care specialties it does not. More ā€œprestigousā€ medical schools also often have more resources to help you get a higher Step score and research publications, both of which will help you in residency matching. I recommend checking out the medical school reddit for more information, this topic has been extensively discussed there.

In terms of choosing a lower tier BSMD over the traditional route, it depends on how much you value the guarantee of med school and the possibility of a (relatively) stress free undergrad. Try to make the decision you will regret the least and donā€™t shortchange yourself. :slight_smile:

I applied as an senior in high school. Waiting to hear from the university. Please let me know if they annouce the results.