***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

For Drexel:
Main Screen after you login, looks something like this:

"YOUR APPLICATION
Status Update
An update to your application was last posted December 14, 2017.

View Update >>"

Press View Update and it will take you to the screen that shows that you have been accepted to the UG program. But in the middle column of that page, last section it should give you the decision on the BA/MD program under:

“YOUR COMBINED DEGREE ADMISSION DECISION”

My son’s reads with the “Thank you, but no thank you”. I’m assuming that those who were invited have a “Congratulations”

If it doesn’t read this way, I can only assume that they have not updated your portal yet, but something should be coming soon.

@moodybluepapaya

Thanks - will wait for status change

Any info on how many interviews for HPME, dates, how many acceptances ?

@bsmdint Did your DD get into UCB/UCLA/UCSD with any scholarship? You are a CA resident. It is a better deal. Temple Honors with full-tuition scholarship is good if there are no other options. My DD is Temple PPHS (Health Scholar with full-tuition scholarship). We are out of state for both Temple and UCB (She had admission into UCB/UCSD).

thank you @grtd2010. My DD is in top 5% in her school with 4.53 w gpa and ACT 35. Although UCLA may be a reach, she may very well get into UCSB/UCSD/UCI/UCD. She will not get any fin aid at all for UCs. She does not know much about Temple undergraduate, so would need to do some research and decide. Your feedback was helpful tho. Thanks!

If someone gets an invite from NJMS can you post it?

Based on the last few years CC threads I noticed that NJMS invited first the forwarded applicants from Rutgers then NJIT , TCNJ, Stevens… in that order . Is that the way this year too?

So all interview invitations for Drexel are done and we are only waiting for rejections? DD hasn’t checked and maybe don’t want her to check before interview next week if all that is left is just bad news. Fridays have been awful with these rejections. :frowning: Truly humbling experience.

Whoever didn’t get the interview from Drexel, will see rejection update soon. I got a rejection from Upitt today and didn’t get Drexel interview either.

very disappointing week :frowning: I dont know what these programs are looking for. One one hand it is very very competitive - however, it appears to be quite random in how each program evaluates the credentials.

At this rate, I dont know how future graduating seniors have the motivation to apply for BS MD programs.

Good thing they’re phasing them out then, maybe. All of you kiddos are pretty brave for doing the work to qualify to apply and persist through successes and “failures” alike.

It does feel random, though I’m sure each school has its own justification. Whether we would agree with that justification or not is a different story.

@rbmed18

No.

This year, NJIT started interviewing people the earliest and forwarding people the quickest. Then Rutgers, and then TCNJ. IDK about any of the small feeders.

Thanks @GreenPoison , Did anyone get the interview for njit/njms or tcnj/njms?

DD had the interview for Rutgers and was recommended to NJMW. The website says that NJMS may choose to interview or not once they get the recommendation from Rutgers. it appears that for other feeder schools the interview will happen; however, for Rutgers the interview with NJMS seems to be optional before they decide.

For all the feeder schools, even if you are forwarded to NJMS, NJMS decides whether or not to give you an interview. @JKNietzsche

For those who have not heard from HPME, I am guessing we will start seeing rejections by 2/15

Most these programs don’t take many students ( <10-25, except Brown) and then they have state, regional, gender and ethnicity preferences. Last year my DS was disappointed with his results and ultimately decided not to take RPI/AMC and BU and opted for traditional path. So don’t feel you did something wrong or end of the road to go to medical school.

Rejected Drexel/Drexel

1540 SAT
400 hours antibiotic resistance research
60 hours hospital nurse shadowing
300 hours other