***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

@moodybluepapaya, you are right! Each school has their own preferences. And then as @srk2017 said above, they have gender, state, regional and race preferences (quota).
@JKNietzsche
Before these criteria, the other factors include: GPA,/weighted GPA, Class Rank
SAT/ACT scores
AP/IBs taken, Rigor of classes
ECs/Medical ECs
Research
Awards
Leadership
Essays/Applications

Now each school ranks these criteria differently and that is why no one knows what they are up against. A candidate with lower GPA or test scores can get interview at a svhool that values medical ECs/volunteer hours more… some school values research more than shadowing. Some school values natinal level awards and GPA and medical ECs.
The catch is that mosy of the time we dont know what a particular school values more. Hence this dilemma of not getting an interview.
However most students who apply to this program are very smart and they succeed in life no matter where they end up and whether they are accepted or rejected for any program.
GL everyone and I am sure everyone will do just fine.

That was a great analysis @Pragmatist22 !!

Someone mentioned earlier that Hofstra interview invites come out around 2/15. Did the school say that? I also wondered how many they usually interview and how many are accepted yearly. Hofstra wasn’t included in the big list from previous years that was shared yesterday here. Would appreciate it if anyone could share any info they got from the college. Thank you! And good luck to all those who are waiting.

Called BU and was informed that it is not “Game Over” yet. They will be sending out invites till end of the month. Based on what I read in this forum, it may be a canned answer.

Received an interview invite from HPME! Apparently the chances are super low for acceptance though :(.

Congrats @Katyperry145!!

@Katyperry145 Congratulations and Good Luck! Did you get the invite today? Thanks

Interviewed for University of Cincinnati Connections today. Probably a toss-up.

@TTV2018 Hofstra said they release interview invites in the middle of February. 2/15 is in the middle so I wouldn’t be surprised haha. I also want to see if there are more stats about Hofstra. Its my top choice!

Thank you! @ppst @BSMD2018 yes it was today. Does anyone know the acceptance chances?

@Katyperry145 Congrats on HPME! I believe the number is 20 out of 120 interviewed. I think the 20 represents just the number of students matriculating, so they may make a few more offers than just the twenty.

@JKNietzsche Really, those recommended by Rutgers-Newark to NJMS get a free ride without an interview for BS/MD Or only a few may be chosen for an interview, the rest are not considered for BS/MD by NJMS as is the case with all other feeder schools. Confirmed with NJMS ??

I think you may be correct - only a few chosen for an interview. I have not confirmed with NJMS. @grtd2010

I don’t get where this confusion with NJMS is coming from. It’s a simple system. The feeder schools interview you, they will or will not pass your application on to NJMS. then, without caring where the app came from, NJMS will see if you are to be given an interview with the medical school. 1 interview, any amount of feeders.

@bsmdint

1. First your D and you should visit Temple to make sure your D is comfortable to live and study there for 3 to 4 years.
  2. What are the other schools she has applied and got admission or expecting?
  3. She will get few UCs admission, don’t rule out anything.
  4. Find out what are the other costs & fees even if you have got full tuition at temple. Along with R&B, fees, airfare, prepare to spend at least $15k per year at Temple.

Rejected from Pitt GAP. This marks the end of my BS/MD applications. Received four interviews, denied from eight programs.

@TheElusiveGod 33% interview selection success rate in this competitive process is something to be very proud of. Remember BSMD’s have a lower acceptance rate that Ivies.

@ScholarGuy…do you know if NJMS screens the passes from feeder schools and then invites a subset? Our student was told after his feeder school phone interview he would get an invite from NJMS…no news from NJMS yet…tx.

@TheElusiveGod…congrats on getting 4 interviews. GL.

Sorry to hear that. I think you will not have any problem going the traditional route and getting into a good medical school. However if you want a sort of guarantee at this stage, you can consider a DO program. That will provide you peace of mind and if you want to opt out later and apply to an MD school, you can always do that. Good luck to you in your career pursuit. Some of the BS/DO programs might still be accepting applications. Some of them are pretty much on rolling basis e.g. LECOM. I may be mistaken but you can check it out. Good luck.